Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 26, 2024, 11:24:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CF Tank Panels for 696 (aka F*ck My Life)  (Read 14764 times)
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm leaning in that direction, but the decal that I found is cut so that it's in 6 pieces, and I don't have a particularly steady hand.

Pm eichh. He does awesome vinylwork

Takster

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »

Fitment issues galore...

• As I mentioned before, there were some issues with the tabs...  I had to dremel away some CF on those and some of the adhesive that was caked around it so that it would even fit in the slots.  That turned out to be an enormous pain in the ass.  Note to anybody who's reading this:  If you plan on grinding CF, wear a respirator... I think I still taste it.
  • The right side went on with very few issues, but the left side was more problematic.  The three drilled holes that are towards the front of the bike which hold the little threaded clips, although drilled with perfect placement, were left too thick.  That's to say that the CF there was too thick to hold the clip effectively.  I had to grind down portions of it so that the clip would stay on, then it took more than a little wiggling with the bolts to actually get seated correctly so that they would thread in right..
  • One of the holes near the filler cap was drilled slightly off, which is really unnoticable, but causes the bolt to look slightly off-center.  You'd never notice at a glance though.
  • Probably because of the tab issue, there is a tiny gap between the left panel and the center strip.  At its widest, it's about 1mm.  Again, unnoticable without close inspection.
  • In order to get the bottom bolt in, It required putting the tank panel under a little bit of tension.  Where the hole lines up naturally is probably 3/8" away from the actual hole that it goes in to.  I'm guessing that this may have something to do with how CF parts are made, but this is not at all my area of expertise.
  • The tiny bubbles that I mentioned in a previous post are more visible than I had anticipated.  They are concentrated on the areas with the tightest radius curves, and unfortunately for me, I can see them quite clearly when I'm sitting on the bike.

Overall assesment:
I can't say that I'm TOTALLY thrilled with the quality of the product.  I was hoping that QC would be a little bit better.  Having said that, I got new tank skins for less than the cost of the OEM Ducati part, and from 3 or more feet away, it looks pretty sweet.  I feel like I got my money's worth anyway.  I'm sure that as other manufacturers start making these, QC will get better, and the processes will get better as well.

A surprising phenomenon to me was that the CF panels feel more flexible than the plastic when riding.  I tend to grip the tank with my knees when I ride, and I can feel a little more flex than I'm used to.  It's something that I'll probably get used to and forget about, but it'd definitely there.

Getting a CF tank makes you pretty much want to buy every other CF part ever made.  The front fender and fairing look pretty ridiculous right now.  I'll probably lose the fairing and get a CF fender very shortly.... then rearhugger... then belt covers... argh.

bottom line, knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd have reservations about changing them out, but would probably do it anyway just for the uniqueness factor.

On another note, Thanks El Matador, I'm going to buy my vinyl from eichh.  His work looks good!

Also, Ryanracer, If you guys do CF work, I should send you my old tank panels to make a mold...  Although I'd like to be the only 696/1100 out there with CF tank panels, I'm sure that somebody else will bring it to market and it will become ubiquetous anyway.  May as well be you that makes the money!  Let me know if you're interested.

'09 Monster 696
sfarchie

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2009, 08:24:26 AM »

Great write up! But where are the pics with it on?

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
Takster

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »

MY LUCK SUCKS LIKE A $5 WHORE.

I put the panels on the tank last night, ride to work today, go to my favorite little coffee shop for lunch, find a great parking spot right in front, order the usual, get a seat by the window.  A few minutes later, as I'm admiring the new look of my bike and making mental notes as to what I'd like to mod next, I see a minivan backing up... enter slo-mo.  This odyssey knocks my bike over, and drags it under its bumper for another foot or two, then grinds to a halt.  5 seconds later, I'm out there YELLING at this woman who is STILL ON THE PHONE.  Finally, I get her to pull her van forward to get it the make the beast with two backs OFF OF MY BIKE.

I stand it up, and this is what I see:

Probably not the photos that you guys wanted to see so...

The other side is fine.... FML

'09 Monster 696
Raux
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »

oh man. i'm soooo sorry.

i can't believe it.

tell me she has GREAT INSURANCE.
Takster

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »

tell me she has GREAT INSURANCE.
I'm pretty much in shock
She has the same insurance carrier that I do.  I have all of her info.  Hopefully it'll pan out.

'09 Monster 696
causeofkaos

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 10:48:35 AM »

oh man!
dude that is completely f*ucked.
i am so sorry.

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »

Damn, Takster! Is the carbon cracked all the way through or just scuffed? Maybe paint it white if it's not cracked through. And is the kickstand damaged at the mount on the engine case or something? I can't tell. Wow, such luck! Minivans... bang head At least you could ride it home. Sorry that had to happen to you. People are just negligent as hell these days, this morning I saw a woman in a Slaab convertible drive right over a 10" curbed median and pretty much destroy the underside of her car, dragging aero panels and whatever else down the street. Didn't even stop. Don't be discouraged, hope you get the damage fixed soon.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
moto

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 11:43:19 AM »

Sorry top hear about the accident.
I was looking forward to pictures--but not those.

Same thing happened to me on my 999R except I was still sitting on it...

Maybe the ladie's insurance will cover you for some better tank panels. The wet lay carbon fiber tank covers are not the best and will spider crack like that.
It looks like there may be some fiberglass underneath as well. It will be easy to paint it white--but nearly impossible to return back to original natural condition .

We are still waiting for our supplier to make a pre-preg version.

-M

www.motowheels.com

96 M944
98 900SS FE
01 996R
02 MV Agusta F4 750
05 999R
06 SC1000
07 1098
08 M696
mrplease

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »

wow! un-fu*king-believable!

anyway, i'm sure you'll get everything fixed, but this time with nothing out of your pocket!

anyway back to the looks of the bike. your right, the headlight faring and the front fender look ridiculous now. i was thinking the carbon fiber tanks might have been a mistake. but the more i think about it... if you get a carbon fiber front fender, rear fender, slip-on exhausts, exhaust heat guard, silencer heat guards, headlight cover, instrument panel, front sprocket cover, & timing belt cover and if you need it a carbon headlight faring... well that thing would look crazy! an all carbon fibered out 696. i know it would cost out the ass, but you'd have a one of a kind 696 then! oh, and i'd go with all dp carbon. that way you know you'd be getting good fitting, quality stuff!!

hcomp
All this time I wondered what it was like to have a

Nothing to see here

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »

DUDE!!!!!!!!!

You're going to have to leave your bike in the garage!!!

My god you have some bad luck!

Yes, wet lay carbon is pretty much always going to be a little off.   

I would definitely have an insurance adjuster look at the engine casing.  Looks like mirror, lever, bar end, tank cover, kickstand and kickstand mount have to be replaced. Oh and the exhaust.

Is there more exhaust damage?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:36:47 PM by ryanracer » Logged

にもかかわらず、私の車は本当に速いドライブ、私は女性の生殖器のようなバイクに乗る
Monster Dave

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »

It's a case of the cursed Ducati!!!! Urban legend...I think not...  cheeky

All I've got to say is that if you hear it reving on it's own in the garage late at night and its' dents start to fix themselves to run like hell!!!

....that would make it kin to Christine:

Crappy luck man. I'm so sorry to hear that. The CF tank covers look(ed) nice. Anything else happens it's time to find a new bike (minus the curse of course).  cheeky
Spicoli

Life is Good

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

priceless.   UFB is right.  I'm sorry for you dude, I can't even imagine the frustration.

Life's too short to be taken seriously.
'09 Triumph Speed Triple, flat black
R2

M696

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »

Man, sorry to hear this. At least you were out there to stop her before she drove off.

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »

Damn man..  bang head  Time to sell the bike and get you an 1100S.

09 M696
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: