Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 26, 2024, 11:15:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CF Tank Panels for 696 (aka F*ck My Life)  (Read 14756 times)
amcloud

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »

Now you can get the OEM tank panels since it sounds as if you weren't too impressed with the carbon ones.  Make sure her insurance replaces everything that is scratched.  Don't settle for anything less.  Nothing should be repaired, everything replaced.  Once you ensure she will suffer from high rates for the next 3 years,  drink drink

M696 - sold, M1100s - gold Speedy kukri pressure plate, black Speedy halflife cover, Pazzo shorty racing levers, 14 tooth front, CRG ls, Speedy sliders all around, Leo Vince exhaust.
jandie

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »

Damn man..  bang head  Time to sell the bike and get you an 1100S.

Takster!! Dude.. I agree with 1313, to much history w/ the bike now... Sorry to hear that man... (still got goosebumps)... man.. that sucks.. at least there is insurance this time...

09 Monster 696 (Pearl White): CF Termi, Rizoma Lux Grips, Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirrors, Pazzo Levers, CW Fender Eliminator, White Reflective Rim Tape, <more to come soon>
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »

Sorry to hear about the dingbat running your bike over.  Make sure the insurance adjuster looks at the bike at a bike shop who is used to dealing with adjusters.  If the adjuster is used to cars you will get screwed.  Do make sure the case is not cracked at the sidestand mounting.
sfarchie

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2009, 05:38:42 AM »

Dude, that sucks! Hope things start to look up from this point on. For what it's worth, the CF tank covers did look nice! waytogo

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
gearhead

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »

Nothing more dangerous than a c**t on a cell phone. bang head
Takster

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »

UPDATE: 

Thanks everybody for commiserating with me.  I really appreciate the support.

The Insurance adjuster is coming to look at my bike on tuesday.  It's my understanding that the way it works in MA typically, is that the adjuster first assesses external damage, then I take it to a shop and they give me a detailed breakdown of the cost of repair, then that figure gets put in front of the adjuster.  I've never been in an accident which involved insurance companies before, so I'm just taking their word on that one.

in a previous post, when I had just put the CF tank panels on, I said that if I knew what I know now, I'd do it again.  It looks like fate has actually made that answer quite relevant.  I got an email today from the manufacturer (who I referred to this thread,) and they offered to sell me a replacement CF left panel for 1/2 the price of the set... current exchange rates make this about $240.  Let's see how that works out.

Ever since the minivan incident, my check engine light comes on for short stints.  Are those codes stored (ie, can they be looked up even when the light is off?) or does it have to be on for that to be looked into?  Also, I'm trying to imagine what could have happened in a simple knockdown that would cause that to happen.  The only real idea that comes to mind is that a connector for the O2 sensor became intermittent or something.  Any other ideas would be appreciated.... the bike still runs normally, and there are no leaking fluids (as far as I can tell)

to those people who think I should get an 1100S, As tempting as that is, I think that wouldn't be the greatest idea for a few reasons.  First, this is my first bike, and I've only been riding it for 1/2 of a season or so.  I think going to an 1100 would be a bit premature for me.  Secondly, one of the major factors that brought me to a 696 is the low seat height.  I'm about 5'5", and my inseam is about 28".  Even with a modified seat, I can barely get toes on the ground.  I sat on a friend's S4RS today, and I couldn't even get it off the sidestand.  I know the 1100S  has a pretty low seat as well, but it's still higher than the 696, so I'm not really sure I can deal with that for now.  Oh, and there's that question of where will I come up with the extra $.  (small details...)

For right now the idea that I have in my head is this:  fix my bike and ride it.  The list of stuff that NEEDS to be replaced is pretty short.  Side panel, bar ends, mirrors, and kickstand.  Outside of that, what I can probably get them to pay for (because of legitimate damage) includes the rearset "wings," pegs, and exhaust.  If I'm lucky, I think I can work out a situation where I replace everything that's broken and have some cash left over for extras... best case scenario, carbon termis and a CF front fender.  If I do those mods and remove the front fairing and seat caul (already gone from the "frisbee incident"), I'm well on my way to the 696 "CF Edition" that was my original vision.  [moto]

As frustrating as this experience has been, I can't bring myself to get rid of the bike.  Even with the bad luck and frustration, it's been the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, and I can't give up on her just yet.  I think I might call a priest and have him perform an exorcism, or possibly perform some kind of ritual sacrifice, but I can't give up.  During a moment of weakness last night, I asked myself if the universe was telling me I shouldn't ride, but the real answer came to me while I was riding today: It's just shitty luck.

I'll post another update when I talk to the adjuster.  Wish me luck with that.

~Tak

'09 Monster 696
Mash

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »

Tak,

Stick with the 696, I think you'll be glad you did.  You've been through some tough times together already.  When she's all shiny and full of carbon fibre, you two can reminisce about the "good ol' days", and how you loved her even when no one else did.  In time she'll get over her fear of frisbees and reversing mini vans.

I had a crash just recently and am in between having the adjuster see the bike, and having the dealer see it.  The adjuster pointed to everything that was even scratched, and added it to the list.  The dealer wants me to leave the bike with them for 'a few days' so they can do the estimate.  sucks, but I'm gonna have to do it.

Best of luck to you,

Dan

'06 S2R1000
jandie

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »

to those people who think I should get an 1100S, As tempting as that is, I think that wouldn't be the greatest idea for a few reasons.  First, this is my first bike, and I've only been riding it for 1/2 of a season or so.  I think going to an 1100 would be a bit premature for me.  Secondly, one of the major factors that brought me to a 696 is the low seat height.  I'm about 5'5", and my inseam is about 28".  Even with a modified seat, I can barely get toes on the ground.  I sat on a friend's S4RS today, and I couldn't even get it off the sidestand.  I know the 1100S  has a pretty low seat as well, but it's still higher than the 696, so I'm not really sure I can deal with that for now.

Takster, I too am a short asian fellow (5'5".5 - yes the .5 matters  Wink), I sat down on a 1100s this morning and yes it is a bit taller than the 696, but I think you'll get used to it.  Other than the DP "thin" seat, the rep also told me that the Ohlins Rear Shock (in the S model) can be dropped down 1/2 inch - however, I don't really know what that will do to the riding experience (if it would even make a difference).  My vote is for you to go get one, but I also appreciate your love for the 696 - I sure love mine!

As frustrating as this experience has been, I can't bring myself to get rid of the bike.  Even with the bad luck and frustration, it's been the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, and I can't give up on her just yet. 

Good on you man!!!

Wish me luck with that.

Good luck brotha!

jandie
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:44:57 PM by jandie » Logged

09 Monster 696 (Pearl White): CF Termi, Rizoma Lux Grips, Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirrors, Pazzo Levers, CW Fender Eliminator, White Reflective Rim Tape, <more to come soon>
Pedro-bot

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »

Totally sucks dude.

At least you're seeing the possible silver lining in this, i.e., new Termis, CF bling, etc., etc.

With labor and parts, don't be surprised if you're offered a total loss from the insurance. Check your wheels, frame and all the hard to get spots for any scratches. GL.  waytogo

Oh yeah, keep her.  Wink

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2009, 04:04:11 AM »

No matter how minor the cosmetic damage, you get money for a new part.  That is the way it is with motorcycles.  Of course, if the bike is getting to the point of total loss and you want to keep it with clear title you could ask the adjuster to overlook some non critical damage.

If the light has come on frequently for the same reason a code will be stored.  In case a code is not stored, noting the conditions that cause the light to go on will help the tech fix the problem.  Do tell the adjuster the light did not come on before the incident.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:09:14 AM by howie » Logged
amcloud

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »

Unfortunately, I have dealt with a lot of insurance adjusters.  Remember, you can argue, debate, call their superiors, etc...  Some of the insurance adjusters are good, some are bad.  Either way, don't think you have to take the quote they give you.  Take your bike to various dealers and have them assess the damage, parts and labor.  Take the highest bidder to the insurance company and throw the others away.  I have never been screwed by an insurance company (besides the money I pay them for coverage).  That being said, I have had to be pesky, a dick, threatening, argumentative, etc...  Call them 20 times a day until you get what you feel is a fair quote.  Go in with your guns drawn and don't take any shit.  Remember, this is an inconvenience to you.  waytogo

M696 - sold, M1100s - gold Speedy kukri pressure plate, black Speedy halflife cover, Pazzo shorty racing levers, 14 tooth front, CRG ls, Speedy sliders all around, Leo Vince exhaust.
needtorque

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »

Just wait til you have kids.  I am guessing you don't yet.  As a parent you will develop a sort of "kid ESP".  This past weekend on Easter Sunday we were on the way home from my brother's house.  We were in the minivan and probably 1/4 mile from my house.  I noticed several teenagers near the road and my immediate reaction before thinking about it was to watch them very very carefully and I slowed down to about 20 mph.  As we get close I see one of the boys reaching into something behind his back and I quickly rolled the window down, pointed at him and yelled out the window, "Don't even think about it".  Of course he starts laughing and puts the egg back in the bag but nonetheless had I not seen it coming I would have been pissed.  I wouldn't call the frisbee thing bad parenting unless the kid was older then 6 or so.  I have found that kids up to age 6 will quite often do things that are dangerous no matter how good your parenting skills are.  They don't consider consequences in the same way as adults.  Once they reach 7 or above they begin to develop SOME common sense and above 8 or 9 I would definitely blame the parents.  If I ever caught my kids throwing stuff at a moto/car they would remember that day for the rest of their lives. 

The woman thing was also out of your control.  I do not like the idea of taking the cell phones away while driving but I definitely think that people who get in accidents due to lack of attention caused by use of electronic devices should be ticketed harder.  I for one can drive safely while talking on the cell phone but that is b/c the conversation is a distant 2nd priority to the driving that I am doing.  I have been cut off so many times by people (women) talking on their phones and they don't even realize they are doing it.  Really grinds my gears lol.

Sucks about the bike hope the insurance works out in your favor.   

Who insures the FDIC?
DucinKtown

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »

Tak,

Fix her and have the first all "CF 696".

I love mine, just got off with a temp outside at +6, did about 3 hours, wanted to do more but hands were cold.

Keep us you to date to progress.

Chow Rusty
Takster

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »

I just spoke to the adjuster today as he gave my bike a pretty detailed look-over.  Doesn't look like he's going to do me any favors, but I'll get my money back for the aftermarket stuff.  I'll update again when I get my dealer quote.

'09 Monster 696
CETME

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »

Takster,

I had insurance guys try to scam me hard on my bike when a lady hit me.

every knick, scratch, dent, chip has to be fixed. Don't just tell yourself "oh, i'll live with that scratch, or that chip" get EVERYTHING replaced, or demand it. They are trying to pay you as little as possible.

Everything that was scratched on your previous crash, fix. There are probably scratches on TOP of the scratches that were there already. Get your bike in NEW condition. Tell the dealer about the engine code light coming on and off. It could be a sensor, or it could be a problem that developed. Either way, like I said, get EVERYTHING checked and replaced.

Remember, the dealer is on your side, if you tell them: "Fix EVERYTHING", you can be pretty sure that they will do just that... more $$$ for them, and more  Grin for you.

2001 Monster S4
2004 Aprilia Tuono
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: