Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 10:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody wanna help me put new rubber on my rims?  (Read 3002 times)
daftduc

Don't look at this

« on: March 21, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »

I'll be getting a new set of tires soon and I'll need help putting them on my rims.  Anybody have the skills/tools and the desire to help with that?

Don't look at this.
daftduc

Don't look at this

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »

Tousley Motorsports wants $35/tire plus balancing weights to put new tires on.  Is that the best deal I'm going to find?  If you have the ability to do this I'd be willing to pay.

Don't look at this.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:12:25 AM »

Yes, that is a decent price.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Vino900

In Vino Veritas

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:42:54 PM »

Simply Sportbikes in Eden Prairie: $25/Tire
They just did mine and treated my rims kindly.  Highly recommended.
Ulf
 Vino!

1999 900 SS i.e Track modified (right side)
minnesotamonster

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »

Just had mine put on at delano for $25 a tire mount and balance. Rims came back without a mark too. No complaints.  waytogo

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
Desmo Elmer

"Maybe not so...."

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »

I think 25 bucks a wheel is what Fred charged me last time at Silverback Performance. But that was a while ago.

I'm guessing most of these prices are with wheels off the bike, but maybe not Huh?. If you ride  the bike in, there will likely be a charge for removing and replacing the wheels.

I doesn't take much to get set-up to change your own tires but unless you plan on changing several times a season (or have dirt bikes, ice bikes, race)  it doesn't pay and just more junk to kick around. But if you like to wrench here is an excellent link to much info on DIY tire changing.     http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html   

I went with the Harbor Freight set-up. As is typical with HF it's just barely adequate. In retrospect I think I could have built a nicer, more functional one from a junkyard wheel.

I have all the stuff but it's not as efficient as the fancy tire changers the shops use so I'd have to charge MORE than the shops to do it. Plus I don't have enough time to work on my own bikes... I suspect others might feel the same.

Ross

'04 M800 (R.I.P. Whitey)
'06 S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 S2r 1000 rubber still down
'05 GasGas MC 250 watch it or she'll loop on ya
'91 Husky 610wxe "paintshaker"
fasterblkduc

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

Wow, that's a nice write up. Geoff, are you reading this?

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
bluemoco
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

'04 M800i.e. on a no (carbon) fiber diet.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »

I love the 'New Member' title under Ross' screen name.

Cracks me up every time.   laughingdp 

Sorry for the brief threadjack.  Resume the regular programming.   coffee

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy." - Donnie Wahlberg in "The Departed"

"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, badass speed." --Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
daftduc

Don't look at this

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »

I charge a threadjacking fee... payable to my paypal account...  waytogo

I'm a northeastern metro guy.  Delano/EP, a bit farther than I'd like to drive.  Especially if I gotta come back the next day or so to pick 'em up.  Maybe I'll do a little searching in my area for a better deal.  Thanks.

Don't look at this.
bluemoco
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

'04 M800i.e. on a no (carbon) fiber diet.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »

Silverback racing is close (downtown St Paul), and they're fair with the pricing.  Definitely worth a call.

Otherwise, you could consider the Yamaha dealer in Stillwater or Hitching Post in N. Mpls.  There are lots of options for you. 

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy." - Donnie Wahlberg in "The Departed"

"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, badass speed." --Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
daftduc

Don't look at this

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 04:56:09 PM »

I went ahead and went with Tousley just for the convienence sake.  Seems like they did a good job.  Total cost was under $70 including weights and tire recycling fee.

So since this will be my first time putting the wheels back on the bike are there any tricks/tips of the trade?  I got some multi-purpose grease for the axels.  Any need to grease the bearings?  I took the front discs off and noticed that the bolts had thread lock on 'em.  I guess it would be a good idea to put more on when I bolt 'em back up. 

Why did I take em off you ask?  Ha, ha, I couldn't see any other way to get the brakes to clear the disc and the tire rim.  When I was working on getting the 2nd one off somehow it slide off with no effort at all.  Some how I was able to tilt the brake and it came free.  I'm still not sure exactly what I did.  But I also wanted to take the discs off.  My front brakes at the end of last season weren't braking smoothly so I want to check the whole system out.  First: are the discs smooth and straight.

Right now it's a really cool paper weight!  Not that you'd ever use it for that...

Don't look at this.
Desmo Elmer

"Maybe not so...."

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:59:41 AM »

Ha, ha, I couldn't see any other way to get the brakes to clear the disc and the tire rim.

Take the calipers off, twist them back and forth on the rotor to push the pistons back in and you will have plenty of room to swing them out of the way. Yes put blue Loctite on the rotor bolts .

Also there is a sequence when you tighten the pinch bolts on the front axle.
1. Put in the axle.
2. Torque the big nut. You might have to snug the pinch bolts opposite the big axle nut lightly just to hold the axle from spinning when you torque the big nut.
3. Torque the pinch bolts on the big nut side in a 1-2-1 pattern. If you don't the first one will loosen when you tighten the second.
4. Loosen the pinch bolts on the other side (if you snugged them), hold front brake and bounce the forks through as much of the stroke as you can a couple times to get the "loose" fork to settle in to proper position so you don't put them in a bind.

Hard to grease the bearings, they're sealed... but spin them with your finger and feel for any hint of roughness. If they're not totally smooth feeling replace them. You can get them at any good bearing shop cheaper than OEM usually. Gopher Bearing in St. Paul is a good one.

Ross

'04 M800 (R.I.P. Whitey)
'06 S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 S2r 1000 rubber still down
'05 GasGas MC 250 watch it or she'll loop on ya
'91 Husky 610wxe "paintshaker"
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 02:06:19 PM »

Back to the 1st question; I just had 2K motorsports mount some tires for me at a verry resonable price.  They are also the bridgestone rep's for the CRA and put alot into the racing community.  Give them a try sometime they are on Penn and 65th.  I have vowed to never complain again about the cost of mounting tires due to how much a tire machine mount/balancer costs. bacon

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
daftduc

Don't look at this

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »

thanks for the advice desmo....  It's nice to have a community like this to get answers from.  I got the wheels back on and now I'm just an oil change away from season ready.  Well I also gotta figure out what I did with my license tabs.  I knew I should have slapped it on as soon as it came  bang head

Don't look at this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: