Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:15:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The DMF Smokes Thread  (Read 8570 times)
raulduke

Classically Trained Chef and Pizza Delivery Driver

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 12:49:17 PM »

Ussually Hoya de Monteray (sp) corona or robusto.  Romeo y Jullietta vintage is ok.  Last night I had a Cohiba Vintage Cabinet robusto that was very tasty indeed.

Only cigars...and only good ones. 

If your gonna take the risk it might as well be worth it....therefore...if your gonna ride it better be a Duc.

Certified Organic and Cage Free
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »

I smoke a lot of geen-u-ine Cuban stuff because it is legal and cheap in Canerduh

I would ask what you've been smoking, but you just told us. Canada appears to have some of the highest prices for cigars on the planet.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
COWBOY

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »

I would ask what you've been smoking, but you just told us. Canada appears to have some of the highest prices for cigars on the planet.

yes they do.  scalping bunch of whores the lot of them (sometimes supply/demand is a pregnant dog!!).

If anyone is looking for another option shoot me a PM.  I've been ordering from the same place for the past 8 years and can vouch for their validity, quality and service.

cheers.

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 04:35:55 PM »

Wow...no Padrons?
Padron Serie 1926...
Or perhaps an Oliva Serie V

Not a huge cigar smoker but when I do, those are a couple I like.

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »

ZLTFUL- where'd you get that autosig?  That's awesome!

sorry- please return to your carcinogenic discussion.  I grew up in a house full of smokers, all except myself, brother and sister included, so I'm morbidly curious about this topic.  Not to mention I've passed up the opportunity to buy/partake in many a foreign substance and am clinical in my intrigue.  seriously.... carry on.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
COWBOY

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »

Some other legal cigar favs

La Fontana (robusto or churchill) $4.00.  For the new cigar smoker -- They are a very sweet tasting cigar with an aromatic smoke.  An old timer at the smoke shop introduced Cigars to me with it in 1990 and it's still one I'll pick up from time to time.
Arturo Fuente Chateau Maduro (cedar wrapped) from 1994 on one I buy by the box  $3.80
Fonseca 5-50 has been a consistently good smoke for me over 16 years now.  $4.00

Honestly I won't spend over 10.00 for a Dom, Honduran, etc smoke.  My "others" don't cost that much per stick and they're unmatched.

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »

Cuban cigars are a huge rip off.

They really aren't any better.

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 06:26:39 PM »

Cuban cigars are a huge rip off.

They really aren't any better.

Which Cuban cigars, and better than what?

I've had some truly lousy dog-rockets out of Cuba. I've also had the most sublime smokes of my life. Machine-made Cubans aren't even in the same class as the average Mexican cigar. The very best Dominican and Honduran products certainly rival the upper range of Cuban ones. The very top of the Cuban range is still unparalleled. If you can, compare an old Cuban Davidoff (from their heyday) to its modern Dominican equivalent and you'll see what I mean. The biggest problem with Cubans is terrible inconsistency, which is why Davidoff moved in the first place. That's improved a bit in recent years, especially with the "flagship" brands.

Did you ever smoke a Macanudo or Temple Hall back when they were rolled in Jamaica from Jamaican-grown tobacco, before the hurricane that essentially destroyed the Jamaican cigar industry? I'd probably trade any Cuban except a HdM DC for those.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 06:30:21 PM »

I used to work in a cigar shop, so I have smoked about ever common brand found in the states.

I have also smoked quite a few of cuban cigars.

I will say the worst cuban I smoked was a Cohiba.

My brother was in Cuba 4 years ago and sent me a box of Cohiba's he bought off the floor at the factory. They weren't seconds, they weren't rejects, they were just shitty ass cigars.

Personally, I think the best cigar on the market are the Perdomo's.

If you don't like them, the majority of brands are rolled by Nick's company in Nicarauga.

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
COWBOY

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »

Being an ex tobacconist you should know then that Brands vary by year and by size.  Across the board the brand is up and down.  However, the Cohiba Robusto and Cohiba Siglo VI are roundly considered the pinnacle of cigars worldwide for a reason and it's not a Cuban conspiracy.  They are both crazy good just not 28-35.00 per stick good IMO.  Price being no object either the VI or the Robusto would be in my top 5 and both in my top 10 and are excellent examples of Cuban cigars.

Of all the Cubans, I prefer Montecristos, El Rey del Mundo, and Ramon Allones over the Cohibas of the same size (Corona and Corona Gorda) myself.   In Robustos and near sizes the Cohiba Robusto, Montecristo No 2 and Partagas are my favs.

I enjoyed the Perdomo's of various stripes I've had.  The Opus X (Tampa party hosted by the Fuentes for IBM) I had 5 years ago was as good as any Cuban I've had.   Haven't had one since because there's no way it's worth the 30-40 dollars a stick they are charging for them now.

At the end of the day tastes vary so drink/smoke what you like.  Just don't get wrapped up in price equaling quality and get gouged in the process.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 07:10:37 PM by COWBOY » Logged

LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »

Here is a look inside my humidor today.  I actually don't like the macanudos very much but I really enjoy the Sol Cubano and Toranos as a "value smoke".  Romeo and Julietas or MonteCristos make me smile but the Toranos are only about $125 a box vs $225+ for the others.

NeufUnSix

Masochistic Italophile

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 08:17:45 AM »

As for Cuban prices, it depends entirely on the brand. A good Monte' will run you around 20$ a pop (excluding the baseball-bat items), which is a good price for a good cigar up here. Some brands are in the 10-15$ range and are well worth it. Romeo y Julieta for example. But honestly the US market stuff is probably equally good, if not better - Cubans are just a mythological thing because Americans can't get them, they become legendary because of their scarcity and illegality. I've smoked plenty of them and none really stick out in my mind. I'd chose a nice Davidoff over a Cuban any day.

Cuban Cohibas are stupid expensive (some are 50-60$ a pop) and highly overrated. They are just status symbols, more often than not it's the guy with the Porsche and the Armani suit walking down the street puffing on a Cohiba, because it's the most expensive thing he could find.

I'd be willing to try a non-Cuban Cohiba, they might be better, but they are rare up here. Most places don't sell the US-legal "Cuban" brands, only the genuine articles, which means you miss out on a lot of good smokes.

"Why did my tractor just blow up?"
COWBOY

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 09:43:11 AM »

Wow your getting gouged too.  I thought the border Canadian tobacconists were just jacking up the price on Americans.  I'll have to take back all the names I've called them these past 2 years (in my head of course).

Some current prices on some well known cigars (Box of 25)

Montecristo No. 2                         $234
Cohiba Robusto                            $371
Cohiba Siglo VI                            $645
Partagas Série D No.4                  $255
Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2   $255
Romeo y Julieta Churchills             $373

Here's a copy of my last invoice - they showed up 2 days later.

Bonjour Monsieur Cxxxxx,

Thank you for your mail. I hope you are well.

We will process your order immediately and ship your package today. Your package will arrive within 3-6 business days, fully insured by us.

Your credit card has been charged the following -

1*25 Montecristo No. 4 at US$ 152.00 - BTL-OCT.07
1*5 Ramón Allones Specially Selected at US$ 56.00 - TEB-SEP.07
Subtotal: US 208.00
Shipping: US 20.00
------------------------------------
TOTAL CHARGED today: US 228.00
====================================

As far as the difference, it's there just as its there with the differences between Bordeaux and Napa.  Some prefer one over the other.  I prefer the Cubans I smoke for the flavor, aroma and even draw.  I've had great Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan smokes as well.  Since I'm only paying 10 per smoke I don't see the point in overpaying for great DominiHonduragua cigars.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 10:08:58 AM by COWBOY » Logged

El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »

I smoke sweet nectar out of that, and nothing illegal either(generally the first question people ask)

On a side note I am jonesing for a camel light

I know what you mean man.. I'm a bit of a Narguile aficionado myself...

I smoke the shite out of my pipes almost every day...

rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »

Bolivar Belicosa Habana is my alltime favorite.

I do loves me some Hemingway Short Storys....Im about 1/2 way through a box.  Perfect 1/2 hour smoke if you nurse it and chew the roach!!! lol

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: