Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 25.6 miles  (Read 3549 times)
topspin_flyer

« on: May 15, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »

I finally found out exactly how far I can go when the fuel light comes on...  exactly 25.6 miles.  I know my reserve is 0.8 gallons and I had been getting 49 miles to the gallon so that works out to 39 miles in theory.  However, the way the tank is shaped you cannot utilize the whole reserve, so how far exactly would the effective range be?  I had done 20 miles several times and no worries, so I knew I could push a bit and just as I my favorite refueling stop near home the engine cut out, and the engine braking, so grabbed the clutched to disengage the engine from the wheels and coasted on the shoulder of the road as long as possible before I had to push my bike on a median and leave it parked while I had to walk about only a quarter mile to the gas station and buy one of those cardboard emergency gas cans.  When I got to the service station there was a police officer shooting the breeze with the store clerks, was a little worried cause I had a couple beers in me, but it wasn't a problem.  So anyway now I know exactly how far I can push it in the future, which is peace of mind so I write this up as a positive experience.

2007 Ducati Monster 695 with LeoVince CF slip-on exhaust; 14 tooth sprocket; Sargent Seat; DP seat cowl; Rizoma handlebars and bar-end caps, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, and fender eliminator license plate bracket.

2008 Honda VFR 800 with LeoVince CF slip-on exhaust and Competition Werks Fender Eliminator.
tocino

96 900 SS/CR, 75 Guzzi 850-T, 74 MkIIa Commando

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:45:54 PM »

\4. Avoided the Po-lice entirely

Well that would've depended on how fun the night got!

"Purchase this fine motorbike and you will find yourself swimming in a ocean of pre-feminist, lose-moraled women in see-through clothing without any buttons." - PipeBurn
topspin_flyer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »

Ha!  That girl wasn't my type, but I had to be nice and talk to her a little.  Her better looking friend came over initially and took me by the hand and then dumped me off with the other one sight unseen, the old bait and switch-a-roo routine they were working.  That wasn't playing fair ...and now I am the bad guy!

2007 Ducati Monster 695 with LeoVince CF slip-on exhaust; 14 tooth sprocket; Sargent Seat; DP seat cowl; Rizoma handlebars and bar-end caps, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, and fender eliminator license plate bracket.

2008 Honda VFR 800 with LeoVince CF slip-on exhaust and Competition Werks Fender Eliminator.
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:16:06 PM »

Ha!  That girl wasn't my type, but I had to be nice and talk to her a little.  Her better looking friend came over initially and took me by the hand and then dumped me off with the other one sight unseen, the old bait and switch-a-roo routine they were working.  That wasn't playing fair ...and now I am the bad guy!

Either that or you can play it Stillie style!

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
topspin_flyer

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 02:47:10 PM »

Ha!  That is too funny.  That was about the scene last night and I was as a baton that got passed!  I needed a wing man to come and save me actually... 

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:17:57 AM »

Ha!  That is too funny.  That was about the scene last night and I was as a baton that got passed!  I needed a wing man to come and save me actually... 

had you sung Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" you'de have your own wing...I swear!

so Scott...do you feel cheap and tawdry now?....

sorry I missed such fun antics!

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:26:11 AM »

had you sung Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" you'de have your own wing...I swear!

so Scott...do you feel cheap and tawdry now?....

sorry I missed such fun antics!

Yeah, me too.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
Zee

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:46:00 AM »

... So anyway now I know exactly how far I can push it in the future...
Which is not very far, it would seem. You couldn't even push it a quarter of a mile!!!

Shame on you!

Z...

What could possibly go wrong?
topspin_flyer

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 04:32:25 AM »

Ha!  I guess I "broke a major rule of engagement", but in my defense..."We weren't below 10,000 feet for more than a few seconds.  I had the shot, there was no danger, so I took it."

I could have pushed it but I didn't because I had a great place to leave my bike, I would have had to play frogger across a four lane highway, and on foot I was able to cut the distance with a more direct route across a grass field, the downside was I had to incur an incremental cost of $5 for an emergency cardboard gas tank which I had not anticipated but that was nominal.

ducpenguin

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 05:47:04 AM »

That actually is good information to have...I have always wondered how far the reserve would get you!  Sorry to have to find out at your expense, but thanks!
Oh yea...that t-shirt...too funny!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: