Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 04:15:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 S2R- I don't like the exhaust!!  (Read 39816 times)
DrDesmo

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »

^^ THANK YOU!!!  Now it's making more sense to me!! =D

I like your pipes.  But since I have a cost issue at the moment, the slip ons seem the best choice.  Anything to get rid of all that silver and darken the bike up a little more. =)

When you get covers for the pipes, do you have to pay for each one or is the cost for both of them?

What do you mean covers? The Carbon Fiber bit that goes over them?  That's part of the exhaust and the way its made - you can purchase them in Titanium, Aluminum, or Carbon Fiber  waytogo

If you're looking for just a cover for the exhaust you have now, one option is the stock cover off an S4RS (they're carbon fiber from the factory, and bolt right up)

Search eBay for "S4RS exhaust" or post in the parts wanted area, you can usually get one for $50-$75.  See below  waytogo

Notice how the cover of the exhaust is carbon fiber as well as the heel guards.  Those are factory pieces, and most S4RS owners bin the factory exhaust anyways so you can usually get them cheap  [moto]  The carbon fiber pieces will fit directly onto the exhaust you have now.  waytogo

Adam
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:00:14 AM by DrDesmosedici » Logged

'95 916
'12 800XC
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »

I meant the slip ons.. but now I see that you can remove that bladder thing and I kinda want to save up the $1300 to do it.  I think the bike looks better (meaner-faster) without it.

*sigh*

Toys... toys...

I can't find where to buy the mirrors though-  all sites are giving me prices in Euros.

Thanks everyone for the tips and help! =D

"Do something each day that scares you..."
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »

BTW, putting slip-ons on your bike is pretty straightforward and I bet there's about 157,000 guys in your area willing to help.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 01:33:19 PM »

Your bike will accept slip ons without issues, a shop will adjust the bike afterwards. I suggest paint for now - then down the line you'll know more about where you want to take your Monster - and make more long term decisions.

Bladder/Cat-eliminating midpipes will require much more work/money to run well.
Although it does look a little better, maybe it's not worth it for you (budget).

To blacken it some more - black belt covers (horizontal + vertical) are stock on newer 800s. I believe they're like $30.
Monza Belly Pan - MonsterParts.com / MotoWheels / and probably a few others.
Powder Coating passenger foot peg assembly, heel guards and other bits you can find.

To keep you from going crazy, you should pick one mod - ask about that and educate yourself one step at a time.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 01:44:04 PM »

ex-box...

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 01:45:30 PM »

I can't find where to buy the mirrors though-  all sites are giving me prices in Euros.

Monsterparts has quite a few mirror options. Along with a bunch of other cool stuff.

These are also a popular option. Hell, the sample photo even shows them mounted on a Monster.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »

Your bike will accept slip ons without issues, a shop will adjust the bike afterwards. I suggest paint for now - then down the line you'll know more about where you want to take your Monster - and make more long term decisions.

Bladder/Cat-eliminating midpipes will require much more work/money to run well.
Although it does look a little better, maybe it's not worth it for you (budget).

To blacken it some more - black belt covers (horizontal + vertical) are stock on newer 800s. I believe they're like $30.
Monza Belly Pan - MonsterParts.com / MotoWheels / and probably a few others.
Powder Coating passenger foot peg assembly, heel guards and other bits you can find.

To keep you from going crazy, you should pick one mod - ask about that and educate yourself one step at a time.

Okay .. the black belt covers are a must.  Can I replace those myself?  Where would I order?  That's a cheap mod.
I know where to get the mirrors now.
I'll save up for the exhaust (it HAS to go)
And painting?  Do you take the parts off and paint it?  or can you paint on?  And what kind of paint? The bike is unfortunately, kept outside so that is a factor. =(
And I was wondering where that belly pan came from!

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »

You can find alot of info here.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?board=54.0

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
muskrat

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »

sounds funny but one thing I did is instead of buying a smoke screen for my fairing I took it off and sprayed it with high-gloss rustoleum in layers to make it uniform and smooth.  spray the underside, not the top.  looks like a blacked=out window tint and several here have done the same.  saves about $90 bucks too plus I think it will look good with your color bike.  I have the black and tangerine stripe.  Nice color choice! waytogo

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Buckethead

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »

For the belt covers, you could buy new ones, or you could just take them off and spray paint them. Its like 7 screws holding them on and they just slide right off.

While you're at it, you could paint some other pieces that are easy to get to/remove.

- Sprocket cover
- Chrome headlight ring.
- Exhaust cover and heat shields

Its best to remove the parts to paint them. It'll help you avoid overspray. Just pull them off, scuff up the surface with a ScotchBrite pad to give the paint something to stick to, and spray. Many light coats. Your results will probably be better if you wait a day between coats.

Depending on how "dark" you're trying to make the bike, flat-black BBQ grill paint works pretty well and is available at any hardware store.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
DrDesmo

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »

... Another option is having the entire exhaust black ceramic coated  Evil

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
alienfocus
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 09:09:51 PM »

Congrats on the bike!!!! and there is a ton you can do and not break the bank. I too hated the stock exhaust myself and it was so quiet. I did a pair of cored cans from a local owner first...cheap ($100) and was night and day in sound and he also painted the cans black

...then found a great deal on the mid-pipes....then got a killer deal on a Leo Vince Ti system.

I also suggest:

Belt covers...paint them and maybe even cut them open...mine are stock covers with paint and had a fellow Ducati owner cut them as he had access to a machine shop.

Sprocket cover...again paint and chop it if ya like. The majority of after-market covers are pricey and alloy or carbon...I got the stock cover from a Sport Classic new at my dealer for $11...it looks like it belongs there and is just custom enough

Tail chop...its the visual eyesore I think of any stock monster.

My mirrors are Mir-Cycle bicycle mirrors (12.95 each) and with a Dremel tool and 10 minutes...you can keep your stock bar end weights and have mirrors that work great.

Hope this helps a bit  waytogo

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

Side by side high pipes take away from the rear wheel, go with Zard.  waytogo

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Buckethead

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 04:49:17 AM »

Side by side high pipes take away from the rear wheel, go with Zard.  waytogo

True, but...

Thanks.  I don't like the finish of the cans but I think I want to keep them both on one side since that is kinda the body styling of this year and where I want to mod it some, I want to stay true to what was intended. 

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 06:28:39 AM »

I do think the Zards look nice.  Ah well, I still need to save up the $1300 to do anything with the exhaust (plus whatever its going to cost me to get it installed since I don't have a garage nor any gear-head friends- yet!)

I am very much interested in trying to do as much as I can by myself on the bike because I think it would teach me about how it works and how to repair it when needed.  Right now, I guess I can afford new mirrors.  I'll have to buy covers as that I really have no where to paint (my alley with the "hoopties" *my term for hood rats* riding by to deliver crack? no thank you!).

All my initial mod money is going into the security system and the lowjack.  With a cover and a break lock, I am hoping that keeps her safe enough for the summer until I store her in winter.  In the meantime, anyway to darken her up more, I'm going to try.

It would be nice to black power coat the engine but I am sure that is mega expensive and might take away from the value of the bike.

Tail-chop?  That's when you take off the back bit of plastic so only the tail/second passenger seat is left?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: