Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:34:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to shoe-horn a Stebel Nautilus into M696  (Read 29277 times)
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« on: April 05, 2009, 05:46:56 AM »

My 696 is now fitted with a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn... http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/ ... and whilst not as compact as it's name might suggest it is quite satisfyingly loud  Shocked  Evil.

Sooooo........ here's my installation:

Job #1 is to find a place to mount the thing (I allowed about 7 minutes for this part, but actual time taken to complete Job #1 was closer to 2 hours, lol). Eventually I decided that it would fit in the vacant area behind the non-existent-oilcooler cowling

Job #2 Make up a mounting bracket and.... um.... mount the thing. I removed the original horn & bolted up to the un-utilized oilcooler mount

Job #3 Find the battery. A simple sounding task, but one made more interesting than a reasonable person might expect by the Journey-to-the-Centre-of-the-Bike expedition involved

What were they thinking? lol. Whilst I was in there I also fitted a fly-lead for my battery charger.

Job #4 Find a suitable place to locate the Stebel's relay, I chose to mount it right next to the existing relays, conveniently located (like almost everything else electrical) under the fuel tank.

Yeah, a mess of wiring... but don't panic; these pictures are pre the final tidy-up!

Job #5 Wire it all up

Here's where I mounted the new fuse-block

Job #6 Test (at the tender age of just 49 I must be suffering some hearing impairment coz whilst it is loud, I didn't find it to be as nose-bleedingly stick-ya-fingers-in-ya-ears loud as others have suggested). I wasn't comfortable with the horn compressor's exposed terminals, so in my final tidy-up I fitted a weather resistant cap - in Ducati red naturally

Job #7 Reassemble everything and job's done

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:15:47 AM by ungeheuer » Logged

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
fasterblkduc

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:48:15 AM »

waytogo

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
DucatiSTi

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »

Thanks for the write-up - great info and pics

I'm sure that horn will scare the hell out of cagers on their cell, kids playing on the road, tree rats, etc.

BTW, Where did you get the terminal cap for the horn?

Thanks
BucciMonster

2009 696 Monster - Arrow Carbon slip-ons, Bitubo steering damper, DP oil cooler, DP Touring Seat, Rizoma tail chop, Rizoma Zero 11's, Stebel Nautilus horn, Ducati Euro shroud, Speedymoto sliders (axles and frame)
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »

Thanks for the write-up - great info and pics. I'm sure that horn will scare the hell out of cagers on their cell, kids playing on the road, tree rats, etc.

BTW, Where did you get the terminal cap for the horn?

Thanks
BucciMonster
Cheers!  Yeah, the Stebel makes one helluva noise  Shocked  Grin

Oh the terminal cap??  I liberated it from one of these....

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:36:17 AM by ungeheuer » Logged

Sleeper_I
cannot raise his

Live free and ride hard

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:40 AM »

Thanks for the write up ungeheuer.
I am seriously considering this mod. The other day my attempt to honk an unattended driver at the light (it's turned green for a good 5 sec) was unsuccessful. The stock horn sounds like I've squeezed a clown nose in the middle of traffic. I was like what the...   Huh? That's it?! I can barely hear it myself
CCEMN1

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:24:35 AM »

Anyone done this on an S4RS? Just curious, as I'm about to perform the same task on my bike.

"I try to be a warrior, like my heroes, and writing is just one blade on my Swiss Army Samurai Sword." Ken Kesey
DesmoReynoso
09 Monster 696

Paint your reality....... Technicolor....

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »

Great Write up!! I installed mine on the same spot as you although with a little differences from your install (left relay where old horn used to attach). How do you like the steblus? I love it!! It makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.... Id highly recommend this mod to everyone as one of the cheapest, easiest and safest mod you can do to any bike. This after almost being run over by a guy backing up looking straight at me as I'm honking the stock horn at him.... Not anymore.....

If you find yourself calling others nasty names on the internet, step back and examine your life. - MeterPig

One man's dreams can be another man's reality, make the beast with two backsing deal with it! - Me
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »

Great Write up!! I installed mine on the same spot as you although with a little differences from your install (left relay where old horn used to attach). How do you like the steblus?.....
Thanks man  Grin.  I really like the Stebel Nautilus.  Bit of a PITA to install but makes a great noise  Shocked.  Unfortunately mine is still attached to my M696 and I am no longer attached to it.   Gotta find a hidden (as if  laughingdp laughingdp) spot on my M1100 to fit another one.  Or maybe I'll wimp out and go for second best with one of these >> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/High-Power-Magnum-500Hz-Single-Electric-Stebel-Horn-12v_W0QQitemZ350315832883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5190736633  Not quite so loud, but much less hassle to install, no relay being required...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:36:11 PM by ungeheuer » Logged

696DCRider

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »

I just found this write-up.  I actually had noticed you installed a stebel on ducatimonster.org, and I messaged you before noticing this.  Since I have one sitting around from my SV, and now I have your write-up, I will definitely be adding this to the near term modding list that I need to complete before riding season rolls around again.  Thanks a lot!
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:37 AM »

....I actually had noticed you installed a stebel on ducatimonster.org, and I messaged you before noticing this.....
Aaaaaargh..... my filthy past is catching up with me  Shocked  ....

Dont speak of that place in these hallowed environs.  

I dont go there anymore, so I'm sorry that you never got any reply to your message.

Oh the shame.....  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:15:43 AM by ungeheuer » Logged

hihhs

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 03:38:27 AM »

Ungeheuer-

Did you ever find a good spot for a Stebel on your M1100?

Monster 1100
696DCRider

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 05:34:48 AM »

Yeah, that was the first site I started looking at for info, but I've noticed that there's a lot more useful information on this site. Hopefully I can get that horn installed before summer time.  In DC, the pedestrians like to jaywalk across the street in front of my bike (probably because they see it's not as big as a car, idiots!).  So, the stebel comes in handy for that as well as the idiot drivers.  I'm sure as soon as I get that installed along with some unbaffled aftermarket pipes, I will scare them nicely back onto the sidewalks,  Grin

Aaaaaargh..... my filthy past is catching up with me  Shocked  ....

Dont speak of that place in these hallowed environs.  

I dont go there anymore, so I'm sorry that you never got any reply to your message.

Oh the shame.....  Embarrassed
CCEMN1

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »

Not sure if you mean me? Mine was an S4RS, and yes, found the perfect spot for it:

"I try to be a warrior, like my heroes, and writing is just one blade on my Swiss Army Samurai Sword." Ken Kesey
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »

Ungeheuer- Did you ever find a good spot for a Stebel on your M1100?
Not yet.  For as beautiful as it sounds, its gruesome to behold.  So until I can find an out-of-sight spot, it wont be happening.

696DCRider

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »

Have you guys had any battery drainage issues related to the stebel?  When I had it on my SV, I think it caused the battery to drain faster.  I had other electrical issues too though.  BTW, I don't use a battery tender currently.  I keep the bike in a parking garage, and I don't have access to a plug.  I'm sure keeping it on a tender would keep it charged even if it did drain it, but since ducati had to make it so damn difficult to access it, I'm not going to bother. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: