Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:09:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troy Bayliss 2008 Monza Record  (Read 8654 times)
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »

Some unbelievable riding... poetry through the corners.

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:01:30 AM »

Some unbelievable riding.
Troy Bayliss is a great rider and has done wonderful things in World Superbike racing, plus that last MotoGP race he rode in, but "unbelievable"?

I regularly watch the MotoGP races, the World Superbike races, and the occasional AMA Superbike race, and I didn't see anything unbelievable about his qualifying run.  It looks pretty much like any other racer, but a little bit faster.

Those Italian announcers sounded pretty excited about it,though.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »

I regularly watch the MotoGP races, the World Superbike races, and the occasional AMA Superbike race, and I didn't see anything unbelievable about his qualifying run.  It looks pretty much like any other racer, but a little bit faster.

lol - I was thinking more in terms of comparing Baliss to me, and not to the other riders!  Grin His skill set is so far beyond me that I find myself shaking my head in awe.

Same deal Rossi.
Same deal Stoner.
etc etc.

aaronb

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »

why does he always stick his left foot out just before turning in?

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »

I notice several riders doing this...rossi, pedrosa, stoner, and others.  Troy definitely does it more often.  During one inside pass at Monza he damn near drug his foot for 3-4 sec motard style.  It seems to happen more frequently when the rider is really pushing into a left hand turn coming off a high speed section.  I think it is for stability during heavy braking before turn in.  Moving the left leg off the bike moves the center of gravity more towards the inside, so the rear end can't step to the inside/left, forcing the rear to the outside, and keeping the bike in line for the upcoming  turn.  I have seen several racers forced to alter their line and run off b/c the rear end was skipping around during breaking and they were not allowed to turn in at the point they intended.

Like I said, it seems to happen most often when they are really cooking into an upcoming turn and braking more than normal making the rider a little uncomfortable, so they "throw the anchor out"!

M-ROCin' it!!!
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »

I notice several riders doing this...rossi, pedrosa, stoner, and others.  Troy definitely does it more often.  During one inside pass at Monza he damn near drug his foot for 3-4 sec motard style.  It seems to happen more frequently when the rider is really pushing into a left hand turn coming off a high speed section.  I think it is for stability during heavy braking before turn in.  Moving the left leg off the bike moves the center of gravity more towards the inside, so the rear end can't step to the inside/left, forcing the rear to the outside, and keeping the bike in line for the upcoming  turn.  I have seen several racers forced to alter their line and run off b/c the rear end was skipping around during breaking and they were not allowed to turn in at the point they intended.

Like I said, it seems to happen most often when they are really cooking into an upcoming turn and braking more than normal making the rider a little uncomfortable, so they "throw the anchor out"!

Ok, that is about a billion times more informed than my best guess.

I thought he was cocking the left foot out because he needs his knee to bend over the bike while he leaning down into the right hand corners. If the foot/knee were pointing forward, he wouldn't be able to get as low as he does.  Embarrassed <- n00b

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:21:25 PM by roy-nexus-6 » Logged

aaronb

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 07:10:24 AM »

I thought he was cocking the left foot out because he needs his knee to bend over the bike while he leaning down into the right hand corners. If the foot/knee were pointing forward, he wouldn't be able to get as low as he does.  Embarrassed <- n00b

thats not what i was referring to, watch the video again, he does a little foot move at ~:50 and a big one  ~1:25.  he actually take his left foot off of the peg just before turn in. 

HK's explanation makes sense to me. 

Milwaukee, WI
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »

thats not what i was referring to, watch the video again, he does a little foot move at ~:50 and a big one  ~1:25.  he actually take his left foot off of the peg just before turn in. 

HK's explanation makes sense to me. 

Re-watched - I'm with you now!  chug

BastrdHK

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

Roy, thanks for pointing this out.....we are always taught to ride with our weight on the balls of our feet...it looks like they are putting the peg in the arch of the boot.  That would allow you to push forward and right, while allowing a quick shift on exit.....thoughts?  I haven't read any advanced riding techniques, so lets hear it!

M-ROCin' it!!!
bazz20
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 08:24:46 PM »

thats because hes australian and over here we have shit loads of kangaroos ,rabbits ,and other wildlife that likes getting on the road so arfter a long career of riding on the road it just comes natural to get ready to kick them outer the road you watch all the ozzies they all do it
Gypsy Davy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »

The reason Bayliss and pretty much every rider takes their left foot off the peg entering a corner is they have finished down-shifting and are positioning their foot to up-shift powering through and/or out of the corner. 

Also, race bikes use what is commonly known as GP-shifting.  First gear is on the top and sixth gear (or whatever the top gear is) is on the bottom.  The reason for this is that if the rider's foot was under the shift lever preparing to up-shift, their toe would drag on the ground.  This allows the rider to up-shift while leaning over.  In other words, it would limit how far the bike could lean over.   

David

2001 Ducati ST2
BastrdHK

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »

The reason Bayliss and pretty much every rider takes their left foot off the peg entering a corner is they have finished down-shifting and are positioning their foot to up-shift powering through and/or out of the corner. 

Watch the video again! Cool

M-ROCin' it!!!
Gypsy Davy

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »

Watch the video again! Cool

What's your point?  Did I not explain the process clearly enough? 

Bayliss down-shifts as he approaches the turn.  The shit lever is on top of the toe of his boot.  He moves his foot to the side and places the toe of his boot on top of the shift lever.  This way he is ready to up-shift while accelerating out of the turn. 

If your theory about shifting the rider's weight to the inside of the bike is true, why does Bayliss kick out his left foot entering Ascari, the only left turn at Monza? 

David

2001 Ducati ST2
aaronb

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »

last time i checked you do not have to completely remove your foot from the peg to move the top side of the shifter. 

Milwaukee, WI
derby

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »

last time i checked you do not have to completely remove your foot from the peg to move the top side of the shifter. 

in cramped quarters (read: with high footpeg position), it's easier to take your foot off the peg entirely to reposition it after shifting.

notice that they don't do the same w/ their right foot in right-hand turns.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: