Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 04, 2024, 06:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Effects of modded air box  (Read 2400 times)
Scotzman
Now that's thinking with your

« on: April 15, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »

I've had my 695 since December and a few weeks ago got an extra air box lid off ebay to mod. Is there any negative effects riding with just the modded air box? Any positive? All I know of are people using them with the full kit.

Thanks.

"Get your haggis right here. Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach.
Tastes as good as it sounds. Good for what ales you."
Langanobob

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:43 AM »

There's been a lot of discussion on airbox topics on the Tech forum, and a lot of opinions.  Might be worthwhile to do a search for the various threads.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:26:57 AM »

There's been a lot of discussion on airbox topics on the Tech forum, and a lot of opinions.  Might be worthwhile to do a search for the various threads.

+1, but here's the short answer;

Make sure you map it properly
It's louder at WOT
You may or may not lose a bit of smoothness in the low end
You should (if mapped) get more on the top end.
Scotzman

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »

Thanks. I've looked through a bunch of posts on it and haven't really found concrete or semi-conrete on just using a modded airbox. Then again, I have the extra lid so I might aswell just see what happens.

"Get your haggis right here. Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach.
erik822

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »

Thanks. I've looked through a bunch of posts on it and haven't really found concrete or semi-conrete on just using a modded airbox. Then again, I have the extra lid so I might aswell just see what happens.

I bought one on ebay, drilled two big holes in it and ran it for a while. I didn't remap it and had a stock exhaust on it. The opened up airbox sounded better when I was gunning it to merge on the freeway. That was the only "benefit". It didn't run noticeable better or worse. Just a tiny bit louder. I say chop the box you have, pop it on and see what you think. If you don't like it, list it on the parts for sale section and you should be able to sell it pretty quickly.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »

airbox cover? whats that?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »

airbox cover? whats that?

+1

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »

I rode for about a week with the open airbox before I had the DP ECU installed...it ran really rough during that time.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Scotzman

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »

So what are the benefits of using the open airbox, besides a little bit more umph on the top end? Most of what I hear is negative-I guess unless mapped properly.

erik822

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »

That's about it. It's has exactly the same benefit as open pipes. More HP on the top end at the expense of power lower down. Most people open the airbox for the sound, though. Just like slip on pipes. Most people get them for the extra growl. If you're not a noise guy and you're not racing your bike, then you really won't get much benefit from an open airbox.

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »

The sound is awesome.

My bike has no problems down low, I'd like to let it breathe at high RPM

Norm

hurricanemotorcycles.com

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »

Unless you have a ram air system incorporated into the air box, it does nothing but muffle sound and provide a mount for an air filter. Opening up or removing the box provides more air flow and more air = more power throughout the rev range. I've experimented with various configurations of air filters and find that I get the most air flow from large individual pods. You will, of course, have to increase the fuel to match the new air flow.
Straight pipes only work well in a supercharged motor. A normally aspirated motor needs a certain amount of back pressure. Where and how that back pressure is created is a topic of endless debate.
Ivan

Turn 3 at Streets of Willow

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »

That's about it. It's has exactly the same benefit as open pipes. More HP on the top end at the expense of power lower down. Most people open the airbox for the sound, though. Just like slip on pipes. Most people get them for the extra growl. If you're not a noise guy and you're not racing your bike, then you really won't get much benefit from an open airbox

It is not a win/lose proposition as you have described. There is  a lot to be gained at all RPMs, even down low, provided that you change the mapping to match the open airbox. 

Sold: 2007 S2R1000 for canyon carving and commuting - DP ECU, PCIII, BMC air filter with open box, Zard full exhaust, Race-tech fork internals, Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske 8987 triple clicker

2000 996XU (extra ugly) for track days - BST carbon wheels, Ohlins shock, reworked fork, FBF exhaust, and a bunch of megacycle rocker arms. The rest of it is junk - Hey, I'm just happy that it runs...

Sold: 2002 Aprilia RST1000 for touring - De-restricted airbox, Taylormade Racing exhaust
erik822

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »

It is not a win/lose proposition as you have described. There is  a lot to be gained at all RPMs, even down low, provided that you change the mapping to match the open airbox. 

True. But the gains at lower RPMs are more related to the remapping than they are to the open airbox. If you remap your bike you'll see gains down low because you are "fixing" the fueling restrictions that are in place in order to meet emissions requirements.

Scotzman

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 11:30:05 AM »

Approximately, how much is it to have your fuel system remapped and how bad do the mpgs suffer?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: