Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 01:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rizoma Bar and stock fly screen on 696?  (Read 2575 times)
peanut_man

« on: April 16, 2009, 01:39:23 AM »

Hi,

If I want to keep the 696 bikini fairing / fly screen, does anyone know if I can use Rizoma 22mm handlebar w/o issue?  I think I saw somewhere that the bar wont' allow use of the fly screen.

Thanks.

2005 Buell XB12S | 2006 Honda CBR 600RR | 2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS | 2009 Ducati Monster 696+
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:06:06 AM »

In short, I don't know the answer....... but..... I can't imagine how swapping out the stock bars for same diameter Rizomas is gonna impact on the nose-cone "fairing" in any way. 

I'm about to fit SpeedyMoto clip-ons and top-triple to my 696 (if they ever get around to shipping 'em to me).....  and I'm not anticipating any issues regarding the nose-cone......  Although I am considering dumping the nose-cone anyway.....

Good luck with your rizoma bars, let's see a pic if/when you do the swap.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Raux
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »

do a search cause i think someone did a bar swap on the 696 already.
Takster

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:15:30 AM »

I'm about to fit SpeedyMoto clip-ons and top-triple to my 696 (if they ever get around to shipping 'em to me)..... 
I thought that those didn't fit the 696....?
I just checked... you'll have to let us know how that works out.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:20:08 AM by Takster » Logged

'09 Monster 696
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »

I thought that those didn't fit the 696....?
I just checked... you'll have to let us know how that works out.

Sure thing.... there'll be pics when the deed is done.... meanwhile.... I wait....  coffee

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
peanut_man

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »

do a search cause i think someone did a bar swap on the 696 already.

All bar swap I have seen do not have the bikini fairing intact.  I actually like the fairing, so was just wondering if I can still keep'em.  I'll have to find the thread again, but someone mentioned that the Rizoma bar do not clear the fairing properly, but I just can't see how that could be...

Anyway, I guess I won't know until I tried.  Sad

2005 Buell XB12S | 2006 Honda CBR 600RR | 2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS | 2009 Ducati Monster 696+
fletch696

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »

I did the bar swap and kept the fairing.  I had to have about 1/2 inches added to the end of the bars so that the master cylinders would clear the fairing. I added 2 inches, and it looks cool, but it is over kill.  I'll try to take some pics over the weekend.
lazarus7

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=8549.msg286543#msg286543

this combo clears mine with no problem.....
rolled the bars back a slight bit for less reach....
tight clearance to the tank, but does clear, just.....

"...the greatest artists indulge in a 'culpable rivalry' with God."     Stanislas Fumet
fletch696

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 08:40:24 AM »

That bar works, but not with the factory fly screen. I added 2 inches, but you really only need 1/2 inch.

To install the bar with the fly screen you need to pull the screen first, remove the old bars, then install the bars and then re-install the fly screen.

here are some picks of the finished product.

peanut_man

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=8549.msg286543#msg286543

this combo clears mine with no problem.....
rolled the bars back a slight bit for less reach....
tight clearance to the tank, but does clear, just.....

For the clearance to the tank, has you tried adjusting the steering stops?    I guess I would have to fool around w/ the bar rotation to get it to clear just right.

Thanks

peanut_man

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 04:56:54 AM »

Ok, so I guess I found out the answer myself.  Clearing the bikini fairing is not at all a problem.  Plenty of wiggle room.   The hardest part reall was trying to keep maximum clearance to the intake / tank on the right side by rotating the control pod on the right.  Problem is that, the rotation interfere with the throttle cable / brake lever position.  That's the part that took me > 1 hr to figure out.  I finally gave up on drilling locating hole for the right switch box and ground away the little plastic nub.  I was able to drill and use locating pins for all other controls / box however.

Here's before:

Here's after:

I love this night shot.  Smiley

ashent

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »

Hi...

New to this forum and new to the 696 (Pearl white). Is it possible for you to post details on how to install the rizoma bars? The bar being the way it is, by how much height does it bring up the rider position? I tried to search this but did not get the specifics.

Ok, so I guess I found out the answer myself.  Clearing the bikini fairing is not at all a problem.  Plenty of wiggle room.   The hardest part reall was trying to keep maximum clearance to the intake / tank on the right side by rotating the control pod on the right.  Problem is that, the rotation interfere with the throttle cable / brake lever position.  That's the part that took me > 1 hr to figure out.  I finally gave up on drilling locating hole for the right switch box and ground away the little plastic nub.  I was able to drill and use locating pins for all other controls / box however.

Here's before:

Here's after:

I love this night shot.  Smiley

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 12:25:27 AM »

Hi...

New to this forum and new to the 696 (Pearl white). Is it possible for you to post details on how to install the rizoma bars? The bar being the way it is, by how much height does it bring up the rider position? I tried to search this but did not get the specifics.

Hi and welcome here!

The Rizoma 22mm bar (696) is 73mm/~3inches in total height. How high it ends up being depends on how/if you rotate it.
To compare it with the stock bar, you will have to figure out/measure how high the stock bar is. I don't know.
I think that the main point of the Rizoma bar is the backwards pointing sweep angle - it is usually a much better angle to position your hand and wrist at.
It also might bring the bar/grips closer (too close?) to the tank, but that's what the adjustable steering stops are for.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 02:37:30 AM »

Here's after:
waytogo

Small bit of advice (take it or leave it): rotate the reverse retros just a tad more forward on the bar ends. This will give you a lower profile overall, and the mirrors themselves will be in a more neutral position in relation to their stalks. I also prefer to err on the side of needing to sit more upright to check my mirrors.

For reference:
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=15100.0

ashent

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 06:13:35 AM »

Hi and welcome here!

The Rizoma 22mm bar (696) is 73mm/~3inches in total height. How high it ends up being depends on how/if you rotate it.
To compare it with the stock bar, you will have to figure out/measure how high the stock bar is. I don't know.
I think that the main point of the Rizoma bar is the backwards pointing sweep angle - it is usually a much better angle to position your hand and wrist at.
It also might bring the bar/grips closer (too close?) to the tank, but that's what the adjustable steering stops are for.

Thanks for the info. That helps. How is everyone drilling the holes in them though? I neither have my own drill nor know anyone who has one. What is the next best option to getting them? Take it to a shop? (just wondering)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: