Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 20, 2024, 05:04:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Axle Alignment Tools - Rhinomoto?  (Read 1982 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« on: April 19, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »

Anybody use the Rhinomoto Axelign Axle Alignment Tool?

Recommend it for DSS Monster with 17mm Axle?

Recommend a different tool for lining up the axles? Or is "eyeballing" it really enough. I tried the straight-edge method, and it looks to run correct with the chain, but here's the dig: The wheel looks visually straight, but I don't think that's much help and the space I can slide the axle forward on one side is different than the other, within the axle adjustment range.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »

I use a tape measure from the swing arm pivot to the axle center.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:55:46 AM »

I use a tape measure from the swing arm pivot to the axle center.

And DP didn't buy the tape measure either.  He made it from iron ore, coal and a set of matches.  Grin

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:07:26 AM »

And DP didn't buy the tape measure either.  He made it from iron ore, coal and a set of matches.  Grin
...another comedian... Kiss laughingdp

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:18:07 AM »

Any advantage over fancier parts? Obviously I own a tape measure, but I see things like laser alignment doodads and such and wonder if they are marketed because they serve some purpose or simply because people will buy them.

Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:21:07 AM »

I originally tried to be super anal about alignment.  It was really frustrating.

Now I eyeball.  Occasionally I do the straightedge, but pretty much just use the eyeball.  It's faster and in my experience pretty accurate.  It's gotten me through thousands of miles and bunch track days and a coupla race seasons without incident or unusual wear.  YMMV, of course. 

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:23:35 AM »

I tried the ruler/straight-edge method, and my chain looks like it is aligned with the sprocket. And the wheel looks straight. But I have gap in front of the axle-adjuster plate on one side, and not on the other. So I feel like I need to move stuff. But how can this be? The ruler says it is straight? Frustrating indeed.

I'm going to tinker again today.

Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:25:04 AM »

Personally, I don't pay attention to the axle plates or the alignment marks.  They lie constantly, those untrustworthy bastards.

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »

well, i'm just going to bin them then. and those pesky axle adjuster plates too. once i get rolling, i figure things will sort themselves out on their own. perhaps it will work like the four-wheel steer trucks, except two-wheel steer motorcycle. might help the duc's turning radius in a parking lot.

gage

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »

are you talking about aligning your sprockets or making sure you're wheel is straight with the centerline of the bike?
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »

wheel is straight with center line of bike. LT Snyder's manual talks about using a ruler to see if the wheel/sprocket are out of line with the chain, as it goes straight forward to the front sprocket. seems like measuring is easier though.

fasterblkduc

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »

Changing wheels on racebikes constantly has made me very fast and accurate at doing the ruler method. I would advise putting the bike in gear, then rolling the wheel backwards until there is tension on the upper span of the chain. (works best with the bike on a rearstand) While holding this tension with one hand, use the straight edge off of the sprocket to check the chain with the other hand. If you don't tension the chain this way, the slop can throw you off.
I've also tried the laser tool and it's more hassle than it's worth in my opinion. I've checked the laser against the straight edge and get the same results everytime.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 01:28:13 PM »

I originally tried to be super anal about alignment.  It was really frustrating.

Now I eyeball.  Occasionally I do the straightedge, but pretty much just use the eyeball.  It's faster and in my experience pretty accurate.  It's gotten me through thousands of miles and bunch track days and a coupla race seasons without incident or unusual wear.  YMMV, of course. 
I've had pretty good results with just eyeballing it too, but I'll use the eyeball method, then double check with a tape measure and also with string on occasion to make sure that it's good enough.

If you aren't sure about the eyeball method, you can always use a tape measure and set one side off by a millimeter or two to verify that you can, indeed, see that it isn't aligned correctly.  Once you're convinced that you can tell for sure whether or not it it aligned properly, then you can trust the easier method.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: