Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 04:16:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone had a tank hinge brazed locally?  (Read 9044 times)
scott_araujo

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »

Just got a call from Todd at the shop.  He's going to braze the whole hinge, try to save the paint, and should be done sooner than expected.  $125 estimate (ouch!) but it may be less depending on how long it actually takes to repair.  The price hurts but isn't too bad, glad it looks like it will be done soon and I should be able to ride again this weekend if I can get it all reassembled.

Scott
scott_araujo

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 12:18:33 PM »

Tank is ready, paint is saved.  $105 total, not too bad.  Now I get to try and wrestle the fuel pump back into place.

Once I pick it up I'll post some before and after pics for anyone interested.

Scott
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »

That was fast.

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »

That was fast.

+1

Shocked

Same-day turnaround (from estimate to completion)?  Dang, if I ever need a tank brazed, I know where I'm goin'!

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
JDucati
The indispensable

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »

Hellsyeah Mac's in Portland is great.  Took care of me real nice.  waytogo

Glad to hear everything went well.  And yeah your hinge was a bit worse than mine from the sounds of it.

~JD

2003 Ducati Monster 800ie Dark
scott_araujo

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »

Some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/scottaraujo/Tank#

Now I just need to clean it up, repaint the brazed area, and remount it.  Should be done in a couple of evenings.

Scott
SaltLick
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 05:01:11 AM »

Some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/scottaraujo/Tank#

Now I just need to clean it up, repaint the brazed area, and remount it.  Should be done in a couple of evenings.

Scott

did you get all the inerds back in?
scott_araujo

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 06:03:45 AM »

Painting the bare spot and installing the innards will be today's project.  I'm sure there will be some swearing involved.

Scott
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:32:01 AM by scott_araujo » Logged
SaltLick
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 10:35:39 AM »

Painting the bare spot and installing the innards will be today's project.  I'm sure there will be some swearing involved.

Scott

let me know how it went with putting some lube on the fuel pump housing. I never did, i only heard that it works. I was able to pop mine in without it but i wouldnt recommend it unless you like punishment.
JDucati
The indispensable

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 05:15:21 PM »

What paint are you going to use on the braze?  I thought it was brass or copper and could not be painted.

~JD

2003 Ducati Monster 800ie Dark
scott_araujo

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »

You can paint anything, it just may not stick Wink  It's such a small area of brass that I think the paint will hold just fine.  Duplicolor gray primer, Duplicolor Truck & SUV T090 Universal Black, Krylon flat clear.  All done already and drying now.  Hopefully I can start re-assembly tomorrow if I get some time. 

And yes Salty, I'll be greasing the fuel pump.  It was a beast to get out, I can't imagine it's any easier to get back in.

Scott
NEIKOS
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 05:28:36 AM »

What happens to the grease in the gas/gas tank?
scott_araujo

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 06:13:18 AM »

Wipe off what you can, what's left is petroleum.  It will dissolve in the gasoline and burn.

Scott
SaltLick
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 06:51:21 AM »

i wonder if smearing the tube with vasoline would work. Might make it easier to fit it in the hole......

Thats what she said.  Couldnt help it.
scott_araujo

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »

And it was so the way to go!  I put a little grease on the bracket, a little on the fuel pump, and it popped right in.  Thanks for the tip.  A little grease also made the gas cap easy to re-align.  It all went back together fairly easily.  Took a while, lots of bits and bobs to re-attach, some work inside the tank, etc.  I just took it for a spin in the rain, all seems well.  If it doesn't smell like gasoline tomorrow then it's all fixed.  And a sunny weekend heading our way Smiley

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. chug

Scott
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: