Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Dealer in Elkridge, MD  (Read 2193 times)
papasmurf

« on: May 16, 2008, 07:34:20 PM »

I stopped by Speeds Cycle Shop on RT 1 in Elkridge, MD.

It is a beautiful dealership w/ many new Ducatti & MotoGuzzi bikes on the floor waiting to seperate you from your hrad earned cash. Among the bikes present were several 1098, 1098S (one in yellow) & a 1098R (which was sold BTW). They also had several Sport Classics, a couple HyperMotos, S2's & other monsters.

But the piece d'la resistance was the new Monster 696. It was under a cover until it's official unveiling tomorrow but the owner allowed me a couple of peeks under the red, white & black form fitted cover. Pretty nice. Speed's allows qualified riders w/ proper gear to test ride his bikes! So get on down there and ride that new 696.

The rest of the shop was well set up w/ lots of Ducati braned riding gear. They also have various Farkles for you bike including an eliminator for that ugly piece of tin Ducati uses to mount the license plate and turn signals on 848's. This kit allows you to move the turn signals to a place to behind the swoops on hte seat casing. I have seen it instaled on a 848 and a 1098 and it looks awesome.

If you have the time, give Speeds a look see. Cheesy

If you can remember the Sixties you weren't there.
Dragsterhund

Sonic Reducer

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »

People run hot and cold about speeds... The old guy, Speed, is either nice to you or a total dick.... all depending on whatever is going on in his head that day.

IMO, there are better shops in the area with more consistant service (both on the sales floor and in the shop).. Ducpond, mainly... Battley's is good too.

2003 Ducati Monster 800S i.e.
1999 Ducati 748S Track Bike
2011 Ducati 848 Track Bike (Ex Jake Holden AMA DSB bike)
1967 Ducati Monza 250
2008 Yamaha TTR 125

1973 Honda CB450 (Sold)
1972 Honda CB450 (Sold)
2002 Suzuki SV650 Track Bike (SOLD!)
1994 Kawasaki EX500 (SOLD!)
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:40:29 AM »

meh....Speed is no rougher around the edges than a lot of folks here.    Last time he was up at the house he brought us a bottle of my favorite tequila.     Joe is doing a lot more of the day to day stuff so you can allways deal with him.   He's down at City Limits for moto gp races so it's a good opportunity to buy him a beer (or vice versa)...(and see the race on their wall-sized projection screen).    Until I experience any of that inconsistent service I'm happy to go to Speeds.     If it ever happens I'll make the two hour trek to Donnie's.     (although we'll be dropping off G's bike for th project at Ducpond as that is more up Donnie's alley).

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:16:46 AM »

Project?  Do tell...

Speed is a little rough around the edges - but things were quite cool when I went there for their open house last season.  They have a slew of bikes out front that you could take for a ride.  Just had to fill out a little form and say 'That one, this time!' and you were off. 

I hope they have another open house this year - I'd definetly make that ride again.  Even the going up and back on Beach drive since the last 1/4 mile we needed to use was closed to motor traffic.  Ooops. 

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 05:26:26 AM »

papasmurf, you local or up from florida for a visit?   The CAM local forum has lots of folks in and around DC and Baltimore.

Ian, some time this year (less time crunched than earlier thought because G's schedule precludes track time this year  Cry) we're having Donnie do some naughty things to the 620.    Currently thinking rearsets, high exhaust, new suspension, small supersport half faiing, solo tail, mini projector headlight offcenter...etc. etc.   

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:47:36 AM »

Yipes!  And nice.  I guess she's gotten over "I don't want on that *new*" feelings she had - awsome to hear.

Some light wheels would do a lot for her bike.  I think she deserves a set of these in red-
http://www.forged-wheel.com/V6.htm   waytogo
If I was consulting...
Suspension
Wheels
Ex-box exhaust
PCIII
Up 3 teeth in the rear
Clip-ons
And keep it nekkid
Oh and adopt me...

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
bigtime

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 05:49:40 AM »

I've bought two bikes from Speed and I like him.  He's runs a fair business, but I've had mixed results by the mechanics.  When they did some warranty work on my ST3 they left the clutch micro-switch cable off.  Ok, that's sloppy but minor.  When they did the 600 mile service on my S2R they left ALL of the screws on the belt covers loose and three were gone.  That doesn't fall under the category of minor, that's piss poor quality control.  There is no acceptable excuse for not torquing down all HW you touch.  If you have junior mechanics in the shop someone has to be looking over their work.  That was the last time I stepped foot in the shop.    

Joe's a nice guy and hopefully he's coming along, but in the past he'd throw an opinion at you without knowing wtf he's talking about.  "Xbox doesn't make an exhaust for the Monster" - uhh, you have a picture of one on your website.   "Power commander sucks" without knowing if it's even supported for the model bike I was considering (07 S2R).

If you need a good mechanic the counter guys at RAM Cycles in Gaithersburg are much more knowledgeable and their mechanics are much more conscientious.  

The voice inside your head telling you to stop should not be trusted
MikeZ

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »

As mentioned earlier Speed is hot or cold.  Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to his moods though.  Not the cheapest guy around either.  Needed a starter and he was the most expensive dealer I found.  He was at $600.  cheapest was $550 and also found it for $567.00
Pretty sure he just had his open house too but if the weather's nice usually has several bikes sitting out to test ride.

'03 M1000Sie (in need of a bath), '71 Honda CB500 (the Project), '10 Tiger (the tourer)
ltnuke

695 / Comp Werks Chop / 14t / Low Termis / DP ECU

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:40:30 AM »

ducpond +1
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:51:02 AM »

Whenever I travel to Baltimore, I stop and fill the rental car in Elkridge.  It is the last/closest town before BWI.  I was totally happy to see a Ducati shop right there and usually have time to stop in and look around.  It is a very nice place but too far away to buy a bike.  I've got a couple of t-shirts and seen a new model or two there before seeing them anywhere else.  Nice place.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: