Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 08, 2024, 02:20:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xenon bulbs for 696?  (Read 2564 times)
kristan696

« on: April 28, 2009, 12:25:14 PM »

I've been trying to figure this out (Please bare with me). I want a whiter/brighter HID look to my headlight. I know I need a H1 and an H7 bulb for high and low, but then was reading that someone said their middle/parking bulb was still looking yellowish? If I just go out and get an H1 & an H7, would that do the trick? Any recommendations for brands/companies to get the bulbs from?
DucatiTorrey
My wife's super hero is my

Industrial Designer

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:41:56 PM »

so far you know about as much as i do, except i heard these new bulbs arent as bright, technically speaking, they put out less light. there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

- real place

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »

You aren't going to get brighter with a halogen bulb. "Whiter" means there will be a coating on the bulb. Coating = reduced output. The white color is deceiving your eyes.

With that said, Phillips and Sylvania offer brigher bulbs with no coatings and without an extra bump in wattage. They are xx% brighter than standard bulbs. I think they are Xtra Vision or something like that.

09 M696
kristan696

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »

So then this is not what I want?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PREMIUM-XENON-Ducati-MONSTER-696-1100-HID-Glare_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35621QQihZ015QQitemZ250363458308QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ht_5440wt_1352

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »

I would be super cautious with bulbs from Ebay. They are cheap quality, heavily coated, and probably higher wattage. The auction shows the bulbs in the 1098 which has a projector housing, not really a good comparison to our headlight assembly.

If you're going more for looks, I'd stick to the major brands...
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/

They are much pricier than Ebay stuff but probably more cost effective in the long run.

09 M696
mrplease

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:31:49 PM »

Yes! That is exactly what I have. That seller is great.

I've had a few people think that I had hid's installed.

I don't care what anyone says, because I know I can see twice as good with these as I could with the stock bulb. The visibility is farther to...

Not to mention they look real good!

kristan696

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 02:54:10 PM »

Yes! That is exactly what I have. That seller is great.

I've had a few people think that I had hid's installed.

I don't care what anyone says, because I know I can see twice as good with these as I could with the stock bulb. The visibility is farther to...

Not to mention they look real good!

Do you have any problems with overheating? Was it really just a plug and play deal?
mrplease

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »

no problems overheating at all. they are a real high quality bulb. just plug and play...

R2

M696

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »

The middle parking light is a separate bulb and will look yellow if you replace the other 2. I changed out all 3, but the whites weren't all the same, so I went back to the stock bulbs. If I remember correctly, the middle bulb was an h6w, they did seem a little brighter, but the beam didn't cut off as nicely, the new bulbs were longer than the stock ones, or something. There was something else I didn't like about the bulbs, I think it was that you could see the dark spot where the tip of the bulb was silver, on the bottom one. I don't know about the ebay ones, I got mine from some place in the UK, maybe called Ace. Now that I think about it, I rarely use my brights. I might have to throw them back in and see how it looks again.

mrplease, do your whites match up? did you switch out the middle bulb?

Raux
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »

you need to be looking at the color temp of the bulbs. the sylvania bulbs H1 and H7 bulbs i bought are 4000k and i found some H5W bulbs out of england for the center with a blue coating to get close at 3200k i think. still not as white, but with the coating close match. also, you don't want to get coated H1 and H7 but the H5W shouldn't be a problem.

the other thing about the HID or Xenon bulbs is the length. if you get the wrong size length then your light pattern will be all wrong.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: