Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:44:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 999 Rebuild (warning, many pictures)  (Read 19837 times)
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 04:32:42 AM »

Holy smokes, Ron!!!  That is some awesome stuff  Shocked  Love the step by step pix... think I may be starting to understand how a multi-plate clutch works. 

Nah, maybe not!  laughingdp   

You're going to have one fine SBK when it's all said and done - looks better than new.

And that's great news about your shoulder!  Go man, GO  waytogo
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 05:26:39 AM »

Great job Ron.

I think one of your other girlfriends (the black one) from Maranello is jealous and wants you to caress her like the 999.  chug

Hey there Rob.  Sneakin' in under the radar are ya'?!  Welcome to the local DFWM madness  waytogo  Now does this mean you've gone and bought a Duc? 

Evil

Lisa
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 06:01:59 AM »

Great job Ron.

I think one of your other girlfriends (the black one) from Maranello is jealous and wants you to caress her like the 999.  chug

Much-O Welcome-O, Rob! I didn't see it in your sig... Which Duc are you riding?!?!?!? Grin

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Ronr

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 06:13:26 AM »

Noticed the through the bodywork slider on the right side and the Speedymoto under bodywork right side slider in the next pic. Are those Rhinomoto front axle sliders? They make swingarm sliders too for the 999/749. Very nice, thorough work. Great pictures! I hear those 999s are nice bikes. waytogo Hope you are up and riding again sooner than later. applause

For ease of storytelling, I organized the photos by bike section, not in order of doing all the work. I was pretty much doing things all over the bike at once - a little here, a little there. So you may see things in later pictures that aren't done, that I already showed complete in a previous section of pics.

I ended up with the Speedymoto under body frame sliders (both sides!) and Rhino axle sliders on front and back.
Ronr

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 06:54:37 AM »

Holy smokes, Ron!!!  That is some awesome stuff  Shocked  Love the step by step pix... think I may be starting to understand how a multi-plate clutch works. 

I hope so!

The main reason for taking and posting the pictures was so y'all could see the mysterious  inner goings-on under those covers.  All the marbles fell out when I took the covers off, so I didn't get any shots of the Ducati rattle-generating technology.
rob lay

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »

Hey there Rob.  Sneakin' in under the radar are ya'?!  Welcome to the local DFWM madness  waytogo  Now does this mean you've gone and bought a Duc? 

Evil

Lisa

Much-O Welcome-O, Rob! I didn't see it in your sig... Which Duc are you riding?!?!?!? Grin

Howdy, last thing I need, but up there on what I want. Smiley  I might go surprise myself and take the safety course, slippery slope from there though.
DrDesmo

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »

Ron -

Great work  Grin  waytogo

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
fastwin
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 11:30:50 AM »

For ease of storytelling, I organized the photos by bike section, not in order of doing all the work. I was pretty much doing things all over the bike at once - a little here, a little there. So you may see things in later pictures that aren't done, that I already showed complete in a previous section of pics.

I ended up with the Speedymoto under body frame sliders (both sides!) and Rhino axle sliders on front and back.

Good call. I've got the same set up on the 999 and 996S and feel real warm and IZ_ about it. Hope I never have to test it... but it's there if I do. waytogo Speedymoto makes a nice, durable water pump housing too. Have thought about it but have never followed through.

Nice to see James' 999 living on within the group. [moto]
Giannis
Bad Brains

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »

Nice rebuild!!!! but please loose this ugly whale tail.. stock size mono tails look so much better!!! Lips Sealed Grin

Billy: We did it, man. We did it, we did it. We're rich, man. We're retirin' in Florida now, mister....
Captain America: You know Billy, we blew it....
www.speedjunkies.gr
Ronr

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »

Nice rebuild!!!! but please loose this ugly whale tail.. stock size mono tails look so much better!!! Lips Sealed Grin

I agree.  Mine has the biggest arse of any other I've seen.  I'm sure it's an aerodynamic advantage though  Grin
hiero

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 05:13:19 AM »

hey ron, what exactly's involved with 'adjusting the shifter' stuff? 

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 05:26:31 AM »

quite a lot of beer...  Grin

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Ronr

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »

Yes, this project required massive quantities of beer.   chug

There is a special Ducati tool that would normally be used to adjust the shifter properly.  You select second gear and put the little tool on the little shifter nubs.  The edge of the tool should line up with that line on the lever.  Well, I didn't want to spend $80+ bucks on a single use tool, so Mark at the Ducshop explained that if I selected neutral, that nub in the photo should be centered on the indicator line.

To make any needed adjustments, those two screws in the lower photo can be loosened slightly, enough that the internal shift lever on the right side of the third photo can be moved to put the indicator in the first photo in proper alignment with the aforementioned nubbin.

Before tightening the two hold-down screws, I swabbed out their holes with brake cleaner to remove oil out of the threads, and put some blue loctite on the cleaned screws, and torqued them to spec.

Mine needed some adjustment, otherwise I would have just removed one screw at a time, loctited and retorqued.  Just for peace of mind.

hiero

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »

ah, seems simple enough!  I'll have to put it on the list of things to do when I'm in there!  waytogo  thanks!

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Ronr

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »

You bet! 

Another thing I wanted to do while in there was send the big gears out and have giant lightening holes machined into them.  Most of the 1098 series gears come like that already.  The shop told me that since those were hardened gears, it probably wasn't a great idea.  Plus it didn't save much weight really, compared to the pounds I got off the flywheel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: