Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:02:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did the oil go?  (Read 1459 times)
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« on: May 17, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »

Yes, yes, I am a bad baaaaaad mommy, and I didn't take my baby in for her 6K until 8K. And, I got a little lax about checking the oil level, although I did keep the chain nice n clean and the tire pressure good. I am bad, and I don't deserve my wonderful ducati red 01 750 Monster.  Cry

That said, when I did finally manage to get her down to Nichol's for her service, they told me that the oil was nearly dry  Shocked !! and that I need to keep an eye on it.

While I'm thanking my lucky stars (and the sun and the moon, while I'm at it) that the engine didn't seize, I can't help but wonder, where does the oil go? It's not leaking out anywhere obvious; I think I'd notice that. Is it really possible it's burning up in the motor? Wouldn't I have awful blue smoke if it was? The fine mechanic didn't seem surprised by it, just told me to check the level every 500 mi or so.

Is there anything else that might be causing the oil to disappear that I need to be looking out for?

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »

Most engines use a little...

My 900 will pump a fair amount into the airbox if I run it hard.

Everyone has different criteria, but under a quart/thousand miles isn't much to worry about IMO.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »

Ideally you want to have zero consumption. if its spitting up your airbox, its better than it being burned of.
On an older bike though, i wouldnt be suspicious if its wat Ducpainter said. When you go on road trips always carry a bottle of oil to top of. Doesnt matter if its dino oil, fully synthetic, half synthic or whatever, for wet clutch, go for a motospecific, for dry clutch, you could get away with anything. In those type of situations, its better to have and not need, then need and not got.

FYI, my 944 was burning about 3/4qt per 1200 miles.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: