Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:46:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS units here in Japan  (Read 3803 times)
Dana

No good deed goes unpunished.

« on: May 17, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »

I know mihama pulled out some fancy little GPS unit looking thing when we rode down towards Odawara, but how do they really work?  I've been tempted to pick up a Garmin 60CSX and download the Japanese maps onto it, but it still sounds like a pain in the arse to map out routes and such, not to mention it doesn't acknowledge one way streets and telling you to turn off a highway when there is no exit...

Talk to me people! 

Do you think they are worth it if I wanted to do some longer rides? (Tsukuba, Fuji area, etc)

Dana

2008 Hypermotard
2007 CRF-450R SM (Track Bike)
1999 Yamaha R6 (Track Bike)
mihama01

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 04:07:12 AM »

I only have experience of Garmin eTrex models....

The screen is too small to use it as a replacement for a map, but it is a great safety tool. I find myself registering locations I visit frequently and then jusr using the "Go To " function which just tells me the direction and distance, I pick the roads myself.

You can plan routes by using the PC software that is included.

If you buy an english one, you will need to purchase additional Third Party Japan map. All locations will be in english. Alternatively purchase the Japanese one which includes the map but you had better learn Kanji.

Lastly there is the mounting issue. I use the Garmin Bicycle mount, but it is not too robust. Alternatively just leave it in map compartment of your tank bag.

Actually I have a couple of units that I don't use. A yellow basic etrex with no map display functionality or an eTrex Legend C with mapping , both english. Let me know if you are interested.

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
Dana

No good deed goes unpunished.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:42:33 AM »

Alright, so I finally bought the Garmin 60CSX and the Japanese map.  I tried it out heading to destinations I already knew.  Using the software, I had it map out a route (auto) and while it wasn't the fastest way, it still got me there.  Sometimes it will tell me to go around the block and then continue with the route...just have to work with the zoom in and out to see if some turns are really necessary.

My overall feelings are the routes planned are usually not the fastest way, but they'll get you there. 

Dana

2008 Hypermotard
2007 CRF-450R SM (Track Bike)
1999 Yamaha R6 (Track Bike)
LilGuns V2.0

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:42:05 PM »

I only have experience of Garmin eTrex models....

The screen is too small to use it as a replacement for a map, but it is a great safety tool. I find myself registering locations I visit frequently and then jusr using the "Go To " function which just tells me the direction and distance, I pick the roads myself.

You can plan routes by using the PC software that is included.

If you buy an english one, you will need to purchase additional Third Party Japan map. All locations will be in english. Alternatively purchase the Japanese one which includes the map but you had better learn Kanji.

Lastly there is the mounting issue. I use the Garmin Bicycle mount, but it is not too robust. Alternatively just leave it in map compartment of your tank bag.

Actually I have a couple of units that I don't use. A yellow basic etrex with no map display functionality or an eTrex Legend C with mapping , both english. Let me know if you are interested.

I might be interested in one of those units. I will see if we can meet when I get back from Hiroshima.

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: