Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 12:37:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 3002 times)
Schwanger

« on: May 10, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »

The OEM pads on the monster seem to leave a little to be desired and I'm thinking about swapping pads.  I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy (brand, sintered or organic, etc.).  Ulf you said you just bought Galfer pads, which ones?  My bike has two pin goldlines if that helps.

Ciao
Vino900

In Vino Veritas

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »

I have Galfer HH installed.  Very happy with them after my first DCTC date  Grin
$35 x 2 from Kneedraggers.com.  (Not sure if Monster and SS have same brakes)
 Vino!

1999 900 SS i.e Track modified (right side)
Major Slow

09 1198s 07 S4R 04 FLSTFI 04 XL1200C 66 cl77

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »

Brakes? Brakes? we don need no stinkin brakes!

You cannot argue with crazy because crazy is not willing to be convinced. Hell, it's not even willing to listen to the arguments.
Schwanger

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

Brakes? Brakes? we don need no stinkin brakes!

This is where I should insert a comment about Harleys, but I'll leave it be.

Major Slow

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »

I'velived a long time without brakes.... but I compensated but not having any power.

You cannot argue with crazy because crazy is not willing to be convinced. Hell, it's not even willing to listen to the arguments.
Schwanger

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

I'velived a long time without brakes.... but I compensated but not having any power.

And now the 1198 takes care of both of those problems.  [moto]
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »

you have a slipper clutch and a knee, how much braking do you really need bacon

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
Schwanger

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »

I have Galfer HH installed.  Very happy with them after my first DCTC date  Grin
$35 x 2 from Kneedraggers.com.  (Not sure if Monster and SS have same brakes)
 Vino!

I decided I wanted to be like Vino900 and bought the Galfer HH pads.  They are amazing.  Now I'm concerned that a lot of hard braking may boil the fluid.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »

I decided I wanted to be like Vino900 and bought the Galfer HH pads.  They are amazing.  Now I'm concerned that a lot of hard braking may boil the fluid.

Oh hell no...better pads equals less pressure that needs to be applied. It's really about feel more than anything. You can stop hard with stock pads but the better feel that you have gives you more control. Now if you upgrade your lever, you will be amazed that there is even another level of better control! Then of course, upgrade to radial master and calipers and there is a whole nother level...then when you want to get really stupid crazy, go with carbon or ceramic  laughingdp
But seriously, you can lock up the front just fine with stock pads, but all of these upgrades mentioned are good for giving you much more control by improving the feel...make sense?
BTW, I use stock pads on street, and Carbone Lorraine on the race track chug

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »

Oh hell no...better pads equals less pressure that needs to be applied. It's really about feel more than anything. You can stop hard with stock pads but the better feel that you have gives you more control. Now if you upgrade your lever, you will be amazed that there is even another level of better control! Then of course, upgrade to radial master and calipers and there is a whole nother level...then when you want to get really stupid crazy, go with carbon or ceramic  laughingdp
But seriously, you can lock up the front just fine with stock pads, but all of these upgrades mentioned are good for giving you much more control by improving the feel...make sense?
BTW, I use stock pads on street, and Carbone Lorraine on the race track chug

I installed EBC HH front & rear...who said stopping power don't increase with diff pads?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
fasterblkduc

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:43:17 AM »

I installed EBC HH front & rear...who said stopping power don't increase with diff pads?

No one. Stopping power does increase with better pads or any of the mods that I mentioned. With that better stopping power comes better feel. That's what you are going for. Less effort means smoother application, which gives better feel and control. The stock pads will stop the same as the aftermarket ones (until getting hot, but that's a different topic) but it takes more effort on the brake lever.
What you are going for is an easier, smoother pull. You can lock up the front and flip the bike just fine with stock pads, you just have to pull harder on the lever to do it...make sense?

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:37 AM »

You can also change the fluid to a higher temp if you are still worried bacon

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
Major Slow

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »

I have some of that high temp fluid. I bought a bucket of it

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: