Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I make my Dry Clutch easier to pull?  (Read 14022 times)
Cucciolo

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »

I started a workout routine for my forearm... haha.. just kidding
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

Just bled my clutch, removed 2 springs. Rear wheel still is standstill on 1st gear. =D i say its almost 35% easier to pull.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Cucciolo

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 04:43:12 PM »

Just bled my clutch, removed 2 springs. Rear wheel still is standstill on 1st gear. =D i say its almost 35% easier to pull.

What do you mean with bled your clutch?
Cucciolo

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »

what is the difference between the 30mm bore instead 28mm for the slave cylinder? is it better to go bigger to help reduce the pull?
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »

Removing two springs is a safe idea I have done it on many bikes and have yet to have a problem (dry clutches hardly ever slip) The more power you have the more you will test this theory but if it does slip just put them back.

Aftermarket slaves are a good option but you are playing with hydraulic ratios and there is no free ride. So, you may find it harder to get neutral at a full stop if you go for the larger bores. for some this is not a concern as you can select neutral as you are slowing to a stop.

Aftermarket spring are stiffer not softer from what I have seen, barnetts and stainless steel springs are about the same rate. they are good springs that look good in an open clutch but definitely not softer. Often the shop I worked at would sell a aftermarket clutch slave followed by a open clutch cover and stainless spring kit and the end result was a stock clutch pull    easier + harder= oem
Cucciolo

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »

So from what you have experienced is it correct to say that the best way to make the clutch pull easier would be to:
1) Remove 2 springs and keep the stock springs.
2) Replace the slave with the biggest bore available.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »

So from what you have experienced is it correct to say that the best way to make the clutch pull easier would be to:
1) Remove 2 springs and keep the stock springs.
2) Replace the slave with the biggest bore available.

That's the best you can do.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »

Basicly. but you should get stainless springs just because stock springs get worn pretty easily. They rust if you just look at them and think of water.

By bleeeding i ment i changed the clutch fluid. My clutch gets heavily abused in NYC traffic, so the fluid is worn, and full of moisture. With your bike on a rear stand, you can start your bike and throw it in first with the clutch in. If your wheel starts spinning like nuts, then its slipping, and your bike will stall if you remove 2 springs. Ofcourse if your clutch is worn to begin with, no amount of clutch bleeding will help.

On a sidenote, i went to go bleed my brakes, and mid way thru i realized i had no more DOT3. at the same time, i forgot what i was doing with my hands and let go of either a brake lever or a wrench so i have air in my system and no front brakes.  bang head

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 05:28:22 PM »

Too large a bore can make it hard to get neutral, FYI
start with the free mod, remove the springs first and try it.
Cucciolo

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »

Too large a bore can make it hard to get neutral, FYI
start with the free mod, remove the springs first and try it.
That makes sense. I will. Thank you for the help! This forum is the best resource ever!
Thank you He-man and everyone else helping out! waytogo
Cucciolo

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »

What do you do with the 2 bolts after removing the springs? Put them back in or leave out?
NAKID

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »

Put them back in, just past "snug"...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 01:36:37 AM »

What do you do with the 2 bolts after removing the springs? Put them back in or leave out?

Or leave them out.  Without the springs and caps they do nothing.  If you have adjustable levers you can compensate for the shorter throw with the  bigger bore slave by adjusting the lever out, but that will also affect your grip by making a longer reach. 

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 03:23:31 AM »

Basicly. but you should get stainless springs just because stock springs get worn pretty easily. They rust if you just look at them and think of wate

Stainless springs are primarily a cosmetic upgrade, I have never seen a dry clutch spring failure and that is with  years of race bikes with open covers as well as about 50000 miles on my own bikes with open covers.

Rusty looking? yes
worn by the surface rust? no

For me the stiffer springs (stainless) were never a good enough trade off due to the harder clutch pull.

Cosmetics are such a personal thing that if you like them and understand the ups and downs of owning them, by all means go ahead. There is no right or wrong here just preferences
Cucciolo

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 08:10:06 AM »

There is a discrepancy in opinions as to leave them in or take the bolts out after removing the 2 springs. If removing them doesn't cause any harm, then that may be the safest thing to do?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: