Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:43:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: amazing....  (Read 3685 times)
That Nice Guy Beck!

« on: May 12, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »

so I decided to make my rear spring harder today but turning those dials with a spanner wrench, and wow, the bike actually turns now its amazing
now i think i should make teh front harder as well? unreal cant believe how the bike /rear reacts now, it just turns so easy bow down
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »

Suspension set-up makes a HUGE difference in how a bike feels even if you're a brand new rider.  You didn't make the rear harder.  You added preload to the spring.  It's called preload because you are literally loading the spring before you even get on the bike.  Your spring probably thinks there is a 150 lb weight sitting on the bike right now. 

We can't tell you on the internet what to do with the front.  You can play around with the knobs and clickers, but you'll just be playing around.   It's a total crap shoot.

Your options are to:

(1)  Play around with it and see if anything works.  Not ideal.

(2)  Take it to a shop.  Pay them $20 or $40 or whatever to set-up your suspension for you.

(3)  Buy a tape measure that will read small amounts (ideally a suspension tape measure) and we can tell you how to properly set the front and rear preload.  Compression and rebound are a wee bit more sophisticated, but getting the preload set is gonna make a huge difference.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:16:21 PM by Spidey » Logged

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Pink

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »

Oh man, I am going to be paying attention to this thread.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:09:25 AM »

(2)  Take it to a shop.  Pay them $20 or $40 or whatever to set-up your suspension for you.

This is probably the most cost-effective improvement you can make to your bike. waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »

Going to a shop and having them baseline your bike is a very wise move. If you have a couple people to help you can do it. Go to Sportrider magazine's website and there is an excellent guide to setting your sag. If you can't get into the proper sag settings, then you need to get the correct rate of springs for your body weight. Or, go buy Andrew Trevitt's book on setting up your suspension...excellent book! You can find it at B&Noble.

I will also say that making the front and rear work together is very key. You don't want too much preload, or rebound on front or rear. They need to be set up to work together. If they are off too far from each other, you can really screw up your handling. (first hand experience)

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Triple J
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:04:22 AM »

+1 on finding a local suspension guy to adjust yours. It was maybe the best $40 I have ever spent on a motorcycle.
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »

just picked up a new bike....first thing I did is get my mechanic to check suspension...and throw an eye over the engine...

first...spend a little cash to get the stock suspension as best it can...

and if you find that your weight, riding style, riding skill is outside of the parameters of stock equipment....then go custom (this doesn't have to be expensive either)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:25:01 PM by Spider » Logged
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »

going stiffer never hurts, i just went to a stiffer spring on my monster even though im 150lbs and the difference is small, but the stability in corners so far has been worth the money

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 01:33:01 PM »

Oh man, I am going to be paying attention to this thread.
popcorn popcorn

Posts looking for new Fairings in 3...2...1...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: