Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 02, 2024, 04:13:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S4R must do mods  (Read 2258 times)
va122

« on: May 17, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »

Hey, I just got a S4R yesterday and was wondering if there are any "must do" mods? and what is the labor like?

Frame sliders?
T14 Sprocket?
Steering stabilizer?
Core exhaust? Slip ons?

Thanks, i'll post pics asap.

If you're going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »

Hey, I just got a S4R yesterday and was wondering if there are any "must do" mods? and what is the labor like?

Frame sliders?
T14 Sprocket?
Steering stabilizer?
Core exhaust? Slip ons?

Thanks, i'll post pics asap.

laughingdp
I've been doing "must do" mods for 5 years!!

To answer your question, the first thing to do is to set the suspension (preload, damping and rebound) for your weight and riding style.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
ArguZ

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »

Track days....two per year are a must...best mod ever !
Smoke the posers !
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »

Pompetta's correct. Hopefully you're not as big as I am as the bike comes calibrated for something like 180 lbs. I needed two full turns on preloag front and rear and a couple clicks of compression and rebound damping.  The bike will turn in and finish the turn way better if the rear ride height is increased up to an inch. This helps more than you might think.  

Then put about 3000 mi. on it.  It takes that to really come to terms with the bike.  The 14 tooth front is an absolute must do and is dirt cheap (the only cheap mod).  

What year model?  It makes a big difference when you are considering exhaust/intake mods so far as fueling is concerned.

These are some of the best bikes ever sold to the public, but they do take a little fiddling with to get spot on. It's incredible how well these things handle when properly setup and ridden well.

Enjoy.  waytogo [moto]

Pics?

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
va122

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm definitely doing the sprocket,
 my friend is an ex AMA racer and he's doing the suspension set up.
I'm already a track rat, I race cars on the pro and club level.
Frame sliders of course. cheap insurance.

So steering damnper yes/no ? I saw some video of scary oscillations.

Exhaust...I have an 04 with 1000 mi on it.  it was a "barn find" this older dude bought it scared the shit out of himself and left it in the garage for a few years. I don't want to spend 1500 on the full termi, so i was considering strap (lol) ons or coring the stock .

If you're going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance.
DrDesmo

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »

Exhaust...I have an 04 with 1000 mi on it.  it was a "barn find" this older dude bought it scared the shit out of himself and left it in the garage for a few years. I don't want to spend 1500 on the full termi, so i was considering strap (lol) ons or coring the stock .

Get new belts! They are a 12k / 3 year maintenance item, very cheap insurance  waytogo

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
RetroSBK

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »

Dont core the stock exhaust. Makes noise, kills power... Just get a Leo Vince or Arrow Slip on. You can ad the mid pipe later on.

Remove the ENTIRE airbox.. its WAY too small..  fit a set of small filters

Powercommander and map

Re-do the steering head bearings, clean, grease, and set tension.

Fit the steering damper

drop the C/S sprocket one tooth

Track time...

Will Kenefick's Retro Superbike. Bringing you the sickest Sh*t since '94
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 05:45:21 AM »

Yes a steering damper is a very good thing. I was a naysayer on dampers until I got one and they REALLY do make a difference.  Of course you only notice when healed over on bumpy pavement, but that's when it counts.  These bikes get really light coming out of turns with full power and will lift the front end even at high speeds if the road drops, like cresting a little rise at full tilt in high rpm.

Also got my attention when a good friend was killed a couple of years ago from what we think was a tank slapper that a damper might have prevented.

I used a side mounted Ohlins.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: