Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REAR TIRE CHANGE - HELP  (Read 1221 times)
greenohawk69

« on: May 12, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »

My plugged rear tire on my M900 has recently not been keeping air (already checked the valve stem as that was a prior issue) and since I already have a new rear tire, figured it might be time to change it.  Problem is, I've never changed one before and wanted to know if someone who has, would change it for me - and me providing assistance ($$$, beer, moral support, stupid questions, etc.).  I am in the Knox/Henderson and Central/75 area and could ride to your location/garage etc.  I have a garage that is large enough (just another option). 

I'd stop at Motopia and get this done, but they still don't have a mechanic. 

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Duc Fever

07 S2R1K 09 696(Wifes)

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »

Randy McCarter is the guy your looking for. He works out of Scott's "warehome". The masses on this board will agree. He does awesome work, extremely thorough and a hell of a nice guy. Prides himself on changing tires on carbon fiber BST wheels and never leaves a scratch! What does that tell you?

His phone numbers are 817-706-8870 or 817-685-8362.  Scott's warehome is in an industrial area near Regal Row and Mockingbird on Sovereign Row. Give him a call

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him" ~ John Morely
greenohawk69

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »

Thanks...had that info.  Was just looking for something that was really close to where I live (e.g. Motopia). 

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
cm
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »

I'm hearing that Motopia's garage may be up and running again very soon..
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »

I'm right next to you, and I have a rearstand and tools to take the wheel off.

Thought I had: remove wheel, take wheel and new tire to the Al Lamb Honda shop just up 75 at 635/greenville and let them change it for a few dollars.

I don't know how to do it myself. I've seen the fancy tire changers used online, but don't have one (yet). When I have a garage, I will certainly invest in one, but that does little to help you (or me) presently.

Giannis
Bad Brains

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »

is hard to impossible to change a tubless tire on a cast rim without machine... very few people would do it with irons but is Hard like i said and you maight bent the lip from the force you put....

take it to a shop let them do it!

i can install slicks on my supermoto bikes but the supermoto rim has a bit more flexibility than cast rim..

Billy: We did it, man. We did it, we did it. We're rich, man. We're retirin' in Florida now, mister....
Captain America: You know Billy, we blew it....
www.speedjunkies.gr
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:49:18 PM »

Randy's changing his tire now waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Ronr

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:35:31 PM »

is hard to impossible to change a tubless tire on a cast rim without machine... very few people would do it with irons but is Hard like i said and you maight bent the lip from the force you put....

take it to a shop let them do it!

i can install slicks on my supermoto bikes but the supermoto rim has a bit more flexibility than cast rim..

We changed tons of tires on our race bikes by hand with the little tire irons. We used a cheap bead breaker from Harbor Freight I think.  Gets pretty easy after you do a few. I've heard those plastic rim protectors work well with the irons to prevent wheel scrapeage.

Giannis
Bad Brains

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »

We changed tons of tires on our race bikes by hand with the little tire irons. We used a cheap bead breaker from Harbor Freight I think.  Gets pretty easy after you do a few. I've heard those plastic rim protectors work well with the irons to prevent wheel scrapeage.

like i said is hard but not impossible!

Billy: We did it, man. We did it, we did it. We're rich, man. We're retirin' in Florida now, mister....
Captain America: You know Billy, we blew it....
www.speedjunkies.gr
RichD

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »

Keep an eye on Craigs list.

I bought a No-Mar tire change machine at a great discount on CL.
I don't know if I've recouped my $$$ yet, but the convienence of
having tires shipped to your door and instaling them quickly at home
has made it more than worth the money!   waytogo

The only drawback is the person who owns the truck I borrowed (to pick it up) gets free changes for life.   laughingdp

DFW-MFer!
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 06:59:42 PM »

i've done it by hand with a couple of the cheap standard tire irons and had no damage or scratching at all to the rims... and yeah, i imagine it gets easier but shit the first time(s) is a pregnant dog...  you can look on youtube for some good tutorials (in volumes even).  definitely follow his advice on the rim protectors...get some empty plastic tropicana jugs...they're perfect.

all i can say is don't get carried away with the soapy water when you're doing it barefoot, with a buzz, on a smooth waxed stone floor.  recipe for disaster.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: