Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:59:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flipped handle bar Q's  (Read 6863 times)
NAKID

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 11:34:15 PM »

After having tried this little dandy of an idea, i wish i had NOT. It was uncomfortable, awkward, and the bars would be called "upside-down" for a reason. I wish i would have just bought the Suburban Machinery bars in the first place, as they had the holes i needed and everything. Instead of flipping my bars, grinding my "nubbins" off of my controls to get them on, incidentally over-tightening my throttle housing and cracking the back mounting bracket, fiddling and fiddling with clutch and brake lines that didn't want to work right at all with flipped bars, accidentally squeezing my front brake lever, sucking in a nice amount of air after loosening my banjo bolt to ease the flip, having to bleed brakes, and then in the end, discovering that the only comfortable and noticeable angle found in flipping my stock bars would end up bashing my bar ends into my tank.  bang head

i would highly recommend that for the measly $150, you just buy the suburban bars, and if you decide you don't want em, sell em on the board. Somebody will definitely buy them.

Flipping bars = PITA.  Embarrassed

Wow man, sorry to hear you had such a problem with that mod. Mine went completely without incident, but I also have the remote reservoirs and if I remember correctly, you have coffins right?

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
aaronb

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 04:36:27 AM »

I put the bars back to their proper location last night, and am actually very glad I ground the nubs off.  I never really liked where the levers were placed on the bar to begin with and to try to compensate I had the bar rotated forward to angle the levers down.  Now I have the bar in a good position and the levers and other controls exactly where I want them.  I don’t really have the funds right now to buy a Sub. Mach. bar right now, so hopefully this will at least make me feel like I accomplished something. 

It kind of irks me how they use the ‘nub’ system to hold all of the controls.  Why can’t they just design a proper clamp to hold things in place?  With all of the adjustability of modern motorcycles the idea that you can’t move your controls around to fit your hands is just stupid.  I moved the levers inward a bit and rotated them down so that my hands rest naturally on them without having to bend my fingers up to grab the lever.  Moving the brakes also required moving everything else to maintain clearances.     

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 05:09:18 AM »

Wow man, sorry to hear you had such a problem with that mod. Mine went completely without incident, but I also have the remote reservoirs and if I remember correctly, you have coffins right?

yea. the "caution boxes."
sadly though, i like the look  of my coffins, and wouldn't trade them for the world.  waytogo

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
carlosbarrios

04 Monster S4R__________ 74 CB550 Cafe Racer

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 05:53:46 AM »

Yeah, I tried flipping the bars over once too.  They look very awkward, and they felt weird too, because they don't have the right pull back.  my wrists would end up hurting badly after a long ride, so I switched back.  I still have the stock bar, but I think clip ons are def. the way to go.

c_rex had some pictures of the flipped over bars on the "old" site, but I wouldn't want to post a link to that site, so try contacting him for the pics  Wink .

tangueroHondo

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »

Clip-ons are a PITA to install in my opinion. There is so much shit you have to do...
I bought some suburban machinery bars a few weeks ago, and LOVE them. Slightly more aggressive, a bit lower, but not TOO much lower. and they look AWESOME.

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/duchypmoto.html

or if your bike is an S*R:
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/ducati2.html

Gotta strongly disagree on the, "...they look AWESOME" comment.  I think they look strictly functional. The crude welds and the angles just look wrong to me.  Just my opinion.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »

It's definitely a matter of personal preference i think. They are very "industrial" looking. The rubber caps could use replacing with a set of billet frame plugs or something nice (on my list). But i really like the way they sort of mimic the frame of the monster...

But when i said they look "awesome," i was really just referring to the new location of the controls/grips in relation to the gauges/headlight/tank. The new position is much sexier. The bike looks meaner on its own with just a small tweak in bar position.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: