Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 06:21:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost got creamed  (Read 3208 times)
SaltLick
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »

Close one.  Riding down through that area where the autobaun society is where those speed bumps are (NW Cornell) some lady in a mercedes parked on the side of the road decides its time to pull out and do a U turn blocking both sides of the road right as im about to go by her. she sees me at the last second and slams on her brakes leaving her car completely turned sideways still blocking both sides of the road. Im going downhill towards her, applied my brakes as hard as i could without losing it and somehow managed to squeeze inbetween the hood of her car and the ditch. It happened so dam fast the only thought i had was "brakes" and "i guess ill be flying over the hood of her car now" yet somehow did not.  After missing her hood by an inch i stopped my bike and just sat there shaking like a leaf and gathered my thoughts. Meanwhile, she backs her car up a few times and is too scared to come near me so she waits til i start my bike back up and leave. She followed me, and rode so far behind me it was funny. She knew she totally screwed up. Man. Its times like that im glad i wear full gear. I still have no idea how i did not plow into her.
8 lives

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »

Wow that sounds like a very close one.  Did you have to go home and change your shorts afterward?  I know a guy who had the exact same thing happen to him except he wasn't as fortunate. 

I like my bikes like i like my women, naked!!!
NEIKOS
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:34:24 AM »

Congrats!  Glad to hear you made it!  [moto]
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:53:17 AM »

Glad to hear you are okay. I sear that drivers are getting dumber lately. I notice more close calls than ever. Makes you want to find safer, less travel roads... maybe even... a race track to be safer.  Grin

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
NEIKOS
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:45:19 AM »

My observation ahs been that they are getting more egocentric.  "I'll do whatever and whenever I like and the rest ofthe drivers will adjust for me."  This way they don't have to do anything to protect themselves or owrry about what thy are doing - the are absolved from responsibility.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

Yeah, not sure what the deal has been lately.  Traffic hasn't been heavier, actually it seems to be lighter than just a year or two ago.  But... people are driving MUCH more randomly.

Glad you escaped unscathed, Dave.  waytogo  A clean pair of undies is a lot cheaper than fixing the bike or you.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
marvellous

I used to have a Titanium member...

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »

Glad you're ok, my friend....  Nice 'oh shit' maneuvering!   waytogo

My baby Duc 'Cara' - 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark Mods • CRG Lanesplitters • Rhinomoto Bar-end Sliders • DP Gel Seat • Dark Seat Cowl • 14t AFAM Light Front Sprocket • CompWerks Tailchop • Smoke Clear Alt Taillight Kit with Integrated Blinkers • Smoke Clear Alt Turnsignal Kit • QuatD Ceramic Coated ExBox Exhaust • Soon to be Mods • Carbon Hugger •
Mother
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

gawd damn left-turn-in-front-of-motorcycle

Nice save
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »

Corn?

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
SaltLick
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:54:33 PM »

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:04:17 PM by SaltLick » Logged
Tailgunner

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »

Glad you're still with us, Snake

Whenever I think the collision is unavoidable I make like a 'human torpedo' and aim helmet first right for the at-fault drivers head. Good thing you did not do that. Perhaps I should rethink doing so next time.
Bendy

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:46:10 PM »

I'd be inclined to try the same thing, Billy. Especially against the broad side of a shiny Mercedes when a collision clearly wouldn't be my fault. So, no shame on you for your thoughts.
NEIKOS
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

I try to angle my trajectory so I can scrape the 2lbs fo titanium on my glove down the side of the vehicle.  cheeky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: