Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:26:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Monster- S2R 800?  (Read 7722 times)
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »

Sgt_H:

If you want a new one you better start looking fast!  They didn't make them after 2007.  I guess they were too trouble-free  Tongue .

There are two or three canned maps out there for an S2R800 and the PC III.  Based on my experience though the Power Commander is a "nice-to-have" mod and not a "must-have" mod as long as you leave the air box alone.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:56:38 AM by PizzaMonster » Logged

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
Benjamin5150
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 09:45:41 AM »

Sgt_H-

I thoroughly enjoy my 2005 S2R.  No mechanical problems at all (with the exception of a defective plastic tank which only affected a small number of bikes from what I understand).

I have a full Arrow exhaust setup and have gotten away without the PCIII.   However, I do notice just a hint of a miss between 3,500 and 4,000 rpm.  According to the dyno, it slightly leans out under acceleration.  I plan on getting the PCIII mapped for my pipes sometime in the next month or two.
Lord_Bragle

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »

I’ve got an S2R 800 but having previously owned only 1970’s Jap 250 Strokers my thoughts may not be so relevant, but this is what I think about the bike.

It looks good, it’s easy to ride, it’s economical, it’s reliable (my only issue was broken clocks, you can’t let these bikes get wet even if you wash them, also there’s a question about the durability of the bikes drive line, its got a cushdrive system built in to the primary drive that can disintergreat) it sticks to the road (its got chewing gum tyres that last 3000 miles) you have to grab the brakes hard (sintered pads transform the brakes), its not powerful enough (what = “powerful enough” ?) because you will find yourself hitting the rev limiter occasionally, its engine could be smoother, but it’s only a twin after all!!! Its clutch is especially light and smooth to use, it’s a Ducati, it’s persuaded my wife to get into motorcycles and she now has a learner bike and has ridden 2000 miles, she’s also tried out the S2R around a big car park.
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »

it's a great great bike!

my .02

Q

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »

About the only think you can't upgrade to S2R1k spec is the engine and the clutch (well, the latter can be done, but not easily).

I upgraded my forks to adjustable type, my front brakes to 4-pad SBK type with narrow band rotors and the clutch and brake masters to the goldline.  FYI the goldline masters are the same internally as the coffin type, they just look better, there is no functional difference.

As far as the engine and exhaust, you have a very mature setup -- Ducati has had the 800 around for a while and I think as someone else said it is the "most sorted" of the lot for a while.  I put a Sparks full setup on mine (high mount cans on the sides) and love it.   It is not Euro3 spec, it is Euro2, so no O2 sensor at all, and on the 05/06 models no catalyst in the udder.

Dump the heavy-ass udder and put a straight pipe system on it, open up the airbox and buy a PCIII and get it tuned and you'll get around 80 or more hp out of the bike. 

The forks were the biggest upgrade in my book, but the stock ones could be tuned better for my purpose.  Of course, I could lose 15-20lbs and not worry about it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Sgt_H

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

Awesome responses guys, thanks. I especially appreciate the info on the exhaust and PCIII.  The one thing I can't stand on Ducs is the stock exhaust.  From the reviews I don't understand why this bike isn't more popular. 

I'm not in the market for a new bike right now.  There are a few things I want to do to my current bike first and see how they turn out.  And I can't justify it financially right now.  But the S2R 800 is definately at the top of my list when the time comes.   

Sgt_H
Banned
spaugh

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »

well, I'm new to street bikes but just bought an 05 800 S2r dark model from a friend a couple weeks ago.  Its great.  I've been commuting on it and get 45MPG, it runs great, plenty fast, simple air cooled design.  Easy to ride, light weight etc etc.  Needless to say, I am very happy with my purchase. 

For what its worth I'm coming off a KTM 450 single enduro bike.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: