Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:26:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddock stand positioning on swing arm  (Read 2015 times)
Snips

where's my Titanium Member gone?

« on: May 19, 2008, 07:18:52 AM »

Hi,

I have a Pit Bull paddock stand for use with my bike, and I'm very happy with it.

I previously used it with my 620, which had (with hindsight) a very simple swing-arm - effectively just a bar with a rectangular cross-section. As such it seemed to make very little difference where the paddock stand supports were located under the swing arm.

Now I'm using the same paddock stand with my 696, which has a shaped (3D tapered) swing arm.

Initially, I had to widen the support to accept the new wider swing arm - easy enough. Now I'm wondering how far under the swing arm I should position the supports. Interestingly, a brake pipe for the rear brake pipe is routed and attached beneath the right-hand side of the swing arm so, too far under, and it could damage the pipe, so that's one obvious indication of 'too far!'.

The underside of the swing also has a couple of raised mouldings (castings?) that seem to imply the swing arm supports should be positioned between these. Sorta like the jacking point markers I'm used to seeing on the underside of cars

However, there's nothing visible from the side (which would be necessary to conveniently use these as guides when positioning the stand without laying on the floor!). Also, there's no mention of these being guides in the Owner's manual.

So, should I be concerned about where I position the paddock stand? Is it usual for swing arms to have positioning markers?

2009 red Monster 1100s
2008 red Monster 696+ - sold
2006 red Monster 620 - sold
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »

I would guess that the bumps you mention are in fact for lifting the bike.  If the swingarm is smooth enough, and has a taper to it, it can let the bike slide down, until the lift hits something (in my case, the low mount exhaust cans).

Do they seem like they are in about the right location to position the stand under?

If you can't see them, can you feel them as you start to lift the bike?

mitt

teddy037.2
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »

it's entirely possible that those are, indeed lift points.

but you've got a new toy... mod it w/some spools!  Evil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: