Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695259 times)
muskrat

« Reply #2160 on: January 08, 2012, 08:51:47 PM »

2.  Modifications to the tank mount to permit expansion where aesthetics are not affected but tank mounting is.
3.  Where your bars hit the tank, your turning stops will be adjusted.
4.  Where your seat presses against the tank, you'll get a shorter seat.

All horseshit!  Lets limit the bike's ability by adjusting the steering stops.  Granted these bikes don't turn worth a shit in slow turns but still all of the above are unacceptable.
I would NEVER settle for paying $15 to $20K and let them do this to me.  Lets hope February's decision comes in favor of the owners.  I wish someone would step in and buy majority share again like TGP.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2161 on: January 09, 2012, 04:55:32 AM »

All horseshit!  Lets limit the bike's ability by adjusting the steering stops.  Granted these bikes don't turn worth a shit in slow turns but still all of the above are unacceptable.
I would NEVER settle for paying $15 to $20K and let them do this to me.  Lets hope February's decision comes in favor of the owners.  I wish someone would step in and buy majority share again like TGP.

Well, it's the same thing they've done up to now... it just puts a clock on how long they'll do it for.  bear in mind that they are taking the position that the tank deformation is an aesthetic problem, not a product defect, thus it is covered by the warranty not by product defect laws.   I am not saying I agree with that, just that's the point of view of the settlement.

Ducati is paying $800,000 (plus the cost of the tanks to date and it's legal expenses) to make this problem go away in 18 months.

I can't say I blame them from a corporate perspective, but for a company of 1100+/- people, it's a questionable way of dealing with it. 

By their own numbers, there are 50,000 bikes in the USA alone that are affected.  That means world wide, how many?  150?  No idea.  Point is, that's a LOT of people to turn your back on.

I know they don't feel this is "turning your back on" but the reality is that after the 18mo warranty is gone, if your tank blows up, what do you do?  buy a $1500 tank (of the same material) to put on your $2000 bike?

:-/

I've got a 35 year old bike in my garage with a solid tank.  It just needs to be painted.  That's how long a gas tank should last -- the life of the bike and then some.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:59:30 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #2162 on: January 09, 2012, 06:12:05 AM »

I am going to ping my dealer tomorrow about getting the new tank.  I am the second owner of the bike but still... She is starting to warp now.  Their excuse was that because of my bike's color, it would be hard to replace.  I am sure someone here on the board could match the factory specs and paint it for me.  I just want a tank that stands the test of time because as I've said, I have no intention on selling that bike. I will get another one but I am not selling her.

"Do something each day that scares you..."
muskrat

« Reply #2163 on: January 09, 2012, 07:50:20 AM »

You raised a good issue Ducatiz.  1100 people whose jobs are in peril because they didn't step up.  I'm sure Acebris has great lawyers with limitless funds compared to Ducati but dam why don't they fight harder?  Is it simply Italian stubbornness at play?

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
HotIce

« Reply #2164 on: January 09, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »

You raised a good issue Ducatiz.  1100 people whose jobs are in peril because they didn't step up.  I'm sure Acebris has great lawyers with limitless funds compared to Ducati but dam why don't they fight harder?  Is it simply Italian stubbornness at play?
It depends what was written in the contract between Ducati and Acerbis. A poorly written contract could leave little/no space for litigation.
I have been in a similar situation before, and what seen right means nothing if the contract does not support it.

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2165 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »

A poorly written contract could leave little/no space for litigation.

haha, perhaps you mean "well written" or "clearly adverse to ducati's standing in the particular aspect"?

You can always litigate (or try to litigate) the intended meaning of the terms of the contract, and make public policy arguments (perhaps applicable here).  doesn't mean they could win, or afford to try.   if its poorly written, there's more opportunities to argue over the terms, and that would invite litigation.

muskrat

« Reply #2166 on: January 09, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »

Is anyone else going after Acebris?

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2167 on: January 09, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »

Is anyone else going after Acebris?

Hint: You bought a Ducati, not an Acerbis.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2168 on: January 09, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

Hint: You bought a Ducati, not an Acerbis.
I think he meant other manufacturers that have had the same issue with Acerbis products.

Maybe not.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Curmudgeon

« Reply #2169 on: January 09, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »

I think he meant other manufacturers that have had the same issue with Acerbis products.

Maybe not.

You are very kind!  Wink

A consumer is unlikely to see the arrangement between a manufacturer and a vendor, and for that matter, the specification that manufacturer ordered..., unless of course, bodies are littered all over the place. At that point, it becomes more "relevant". The lawyers can chime in if tempted.

From experience, the manufacturer has a warranty with the vendor. Replacement or compensation is based on the % failure rate the manufacturer bought with the part. This "shouldn't" be costing Ducati much unless Ducati really screwed up.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2170 on: January 09, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »

You are very kind!  Wink

A consumer is unlikely to see the arrangement between a manufacturer and a vendor, and for that matter, the specification that manufacturer ordered..., unless of course, bodies are littered all over the place. At that point, it becomes more "relevant". The lawyers can chime in if tempted.

From experience, the manufacturer has a warranty with the vendor. Replacement or compensation is based on the % failure rate the manufacturer bought with the part. This "shouldn't" be costing Ducati much unless Ducati really screwed up.
We'll never know the details of the arrangement between Ducati and Acerbis.

Ducati seems to have successfully argued the tanks didn't 'fail'.

That would relieve Acerbis of liability under all circumstances.

It seems the only winners here are the lawyers representing the class...

It will ultimately cost all the others involved.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

muskrat

« Reply #2171 on: January 09, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »

I meant manufacturers of course.  That said did they make them for triumph?  I know they were replacing tanks with metal ones last I heard.  If I were Ducati I'd go after acebris IMO.  I predict they won't survive past 5 years if owners get screwed. 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2172 on: January 09, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »

I meant manufacturers of course.  That said did they make them for triumph?  I know they were replacing tanks with metal ones last I heard.  If I were Ducati I'd go after acebris IMO.  I predict they won't survive past 5 years if owners get screwed. 
pretty sure every Euro manufacturer that has offered a plastic tank bought them from Acerbis.

I don't think Triumph, or any other manufacturer, has replaced a plastic tank with a metal tank. Triumph stopped offering models with plastic tanks. There is a huge difference.

perspective

muskrat

« Reply #2173 on: January 09, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »

dam Iphone.   bang head  That's what I meant but I'm getting old and the screen gets smaller. 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
jerryz

« Reply #2174 on: January 10, 2012, 06:13:21 AM »

KTM , BMW, Apprillia,cagiva ,motoguzzi and Harley all bought and use defective tanks from Acerbis   and its been well known for many years that PA6 absorbs water and swells do who is at fault Huh?Huh?
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: