Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 04:18:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699854 times)
justinrhenry
Super

weeeeee!!!

« Reply #2220 on: January 16, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »

this isn't hope.  they don't mention or imply the end of ethanol in gas. 

_____
2013 Honda CB1100D
2006 Honda ST1300
2003 Ducati Monster 620ie
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2221 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »

the legislation also removes tariffs on Brazilian cane-based ethanol import.  Brazilians pay about $1/gallon for their ethanol fuel (100% ethanol cars there). 

It means more ethanol and cheaper.

the solution would be to have "mix at the pump" ethanol so the customer can select how much ethanol to add to their gasoline.  this is the standard in some places (Oz). 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2222 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

Nope.  You will simply be paying more for E10 in areas where it is mandated.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2223 on: January 16, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »

Nope.  You will simply be paying more for E10 in areas where it is mandated.

They might not have renewed the subsidy but until they remove the % requirements for E-10 nationally which are increasing annually, we still have a problem with that cr*p.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
muskrat

« Reply #2224 on: January 16, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »

I hope they stick to their guns and don't subsidize a dime but we all know Pol............

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2225 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »

enough about corn subsidies please.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2226 on: January 17, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »

Nice.  F#cked over the coals by believing that a company might 'do the right thing'.

I honestly didn't think anything different would result from this settlement or even the public response after posting it months ago.  I've given up thinking that Ducati is looking at anything else except for profit and gathering new, naive customers to the 'brand'.  It didn't used to be like that.  That's why I have more than one.  The older one.

Iz, while I appreciate your enthusiasm for Ducati and 'the little engine that could' I think you have to stop drinking the Kool Aid and see it differently.  I appreciate the 'small Italian company' and all that BS, but at some point you have to agree they are simply cowards on so many levels by not coming clean and admitting to a poor material spec.  That, in simple legalese is called negligence.  Nothing less.  Hiding behind a veil of a legal process tells me more about how the company treats its customers than I would have believed a year ago.

Coupled with the fact (referencable fact, via EIA.gov) that ethanol in fuels have been in North American gasolines since the early 1990s.  Ethanol's effects (and its ability to gather water into said fuel) in fuel containers should not have been a surprise to anyone by this late date.

Will I keep the bike?  Yeah, more than likely.  But this will be the last Duc for me for a number of reasons, which I won't repeat again.

Dude, I think you have made it perfectly clear where you stand on this issue and the fact that you will never buy a Duc. I think in general most people on this thread have been very understanding about your position, even when they don't share it. In the same way, Tiz and others have expressed their opinions. You call it the Ducati kool-aid, but yet ignore completely the statments that this issue is also impacting other manufacturers, if I'm not mistaken even BMW, which it seems you have a particular fondness for. Let's try to keep this thread away from degrading into something unnecessary.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #2227 on: January 17, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »

Dude, I think you have made it perfectly clear where you stand on this issue and the fact that you will never buy a Duc. I think in general most people on this thread have been very understanding about your position, even when they don't share it. In the same way, Tiz and others have expressed their opinions. You call it the Ducati kool-aid, but yet ignore completely the statments that this issue is also impacting other manufacturers, if I'm not mistaken even BMW, which it seems you have a particular fondness for. Let's try to keep this thread away from degrading into something unnecessary.

With all due respect, this is an ongoing thread about the settlement and affected tanks.  I can't deny I've posted pretty vocally on this point.  Yet we have seen in these last few pages how people have posted here, yet not risen to write in to oppose the settlement. 

I don't think the post was degrading this thread into something unnecessary.  I respect what Iz has done (despite the outcome of the settlement) and was re-reading some earlier posts of his in Tech this afternoon.  Good stuff.

Do you agree with the finalized settlement?  Just curious about your position pro or con.  If you'd like to take the discussion offline, feel free to PM me. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:31:33 PM by hillbillypolack » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2228 on: January 17, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »

With all due respect, this is an ongoing thread about the settlement and affected tanks.  I can't deny I've posted pretty vocally on this point.  Yet we have seen in these last few pages how people have posted here, yet not risen to write in to oppose the settlement. 

I don't think the post was degrading this thread into something unnecessary.  I respect what Iz has done (despite the outcome of the settlement) and was re-reading some earlier posts of his in Tech this afternoon.  Good stuff.

Do you agree with the finalized settlement?  Just curious about your position pro or con.
Did you formally object?

How does the inaction of customers vilify the manufacturer?

I remember 6 or so years ago when the faithful were screaming for a plastic tank to avoid the classic 'Ducati Dent'.

They got that...didn't quite work the way everyone hoped...

did it?

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

hillbillypolack

« Reply #2229 on: January 17, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »

Did you formally object?

How does the inaction of customers vilify the manufacturer?

I remember 6 or so years ago when the faithful were screaming for a plastic tank to avoid the classic 'Ducati Dent'.

They got that...didn't quite work the way everyone hoped...

did it?

Yes, I did formally object-to all three parties on the settlement.  With a half page of referenced fact for clarification. 

But you have a point. . . if the customers don't act, how is the manufacturer supposed to respond?  At this point I think that's the most clear question to come out of the 'settlement'.  In 5 years what will we be saying 'should have' been done?

And I did read about the requests to make a non-denting tank. . . . quite a while back but I see we got what we were asking for.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2230 on: January 17, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »

Yes, I did formally object-to all three parties on the settlement.  With a half page of referenced fact for clarification. 

But you have a point. . . if the customers don't act, how is the manufacturer supposed to respond?  At this point I think that's the most clear question to come out of the 'settlement'.  In 5 years what will we be saying 'should have' been done?

And I did read about the requests to make a non-denting tank. . . . quite a while back but I see we got what we were asking for.
My point is...

I believe Ducati was doing everything they could do for the owners...

until the lawsuit was filed and needed to be dealt with from a business 'bleeding' perspective.

Don't blame Ducati...

blame Gerard Gibbs.

He's the only winner.

perspective

hillbillypolack

« Reply #2231 on: January 17, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »

My point is...

I believe Ducati was doing everything they could do for the owners...

until the lawsuit was filed and needed to be dealt with from a business 'bleeding' perspective.

Don't blame Ducati...

blame Gerard Gibbs.

He's the only winner.

I see what you mean.  It could very well be that once the legal machine was put in motion there was limited room to do the right thing (?)  I could imagine that behind closed doors a number of proposals were considered (cost vs. benefit vs. validation etc).  And after the time ran out and the letters were tallied this is what resulted.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2232 on: January 17, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »

Could Ducati still replace tanks beyond the limits of the settlement as "good will" on a customer by customer basis like manufacturers sometimes do when a vehicle is out of warranty?  I see no reason why they couldn't but I am not a lawyer.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2233 on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:51 AM »

Could Ducati still replace tanks beyond the limits of the settlement as "good will" on a customer by customer basis like manufacturers sometimes do when a vehicle is out of warranty?  I see no reason why they couldn't but I am not a lawyer.

They can do whatever they want out of good will.  Most of the tank replacements for the 05 and 06 bikes were good will replacements, especially where the owner was a 2nd or 3rd. 

I hope they do, but it might prove to be a liability if it gets out since that could be considered unfair treatment under the settlement.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #2234 on: January 18, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »

$835,000 would have paid for a lot of replacement -possibly alloy aftermarket- tanks...

...and what happens if/when e15 is mandated and the problems *accelerate* - the Gubmint has already proven that e15 does no harm  bang head

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: