Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 03:25:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699831 times)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2280 on: February 28, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »

Dang, u sure?  How could that be possible?
So..., where was your notarized objection when we needed a few hundred? Did you just buy the bike?! Very disappointing after "ducatiz" did all that work and research...  Angry

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=43639.msg1004772#msg1004772

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

!
« Reply #2281 on: February 28, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »

Would my one objection have made the difference (i hope not) bang head apologies in advance to all.  Wow so thats what happened! omg, so not enough people said anything and its over with now...sucks!!!!!!! bang head bang head bang head bang head boo Cry Time to coat I guess....not looking forward to it.  Okay time for me to shut up.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:02:34 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #2282 on: February 29, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

A few months ago my tank finally expanded so that I can't unlatch it.  I have a fouled plug and will have to figure out how to get the tank up if I'm going to ride and my truck's down and out for the count. 

It's a 2006 with over 40k miles  on it.  The bike has been flawless otherwise.  The best bike I've owned in 40 years of riding.  I wish someone sold a 2004 model metal like my old blue S4R.

Time to get with the dealer I guess.  Cry

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Gadgetech

« Reply #2283 on: March 02, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »

Well my dealer informed me today that they put the bracket on and that I can now operate the latch. They were able to keep the stock seat but said I could get a shorter one if I like from Ducati. The dealer is confident the tank will expand to the point that the bracket won't be a fix. I am told the bracket is visible when looking at the front of the bike. The dealer said if I wanted to push the issue they would be more than happy to talk to the Ducati rep and that they would support me. I'm really not happy about it and am contemplating asking to meet with the Ducati rep. Anyone want to chime in that has seen the bracket? Should I just accept it or would you push the issue? At this point there are wear marks on the front of the tank where it rubbed against the ignition too.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2284 on: March 02, 2012, 04:25:25 PM »

make some pics.  that really stinks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Gadgetech

« Reply #2285 on: March 02, 2012, 04:32:38 PM »

make some pics.  that really stinks.

I'll get some tomorrow when I have some daylight to work with.
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2286 on: March 02, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »

Well my dealer informed me today that they put the bracket on and that I can now operate the latch. They were able to keep the stock seat but said I could get a shorter one if I like from Ducati. The dealer is confident the tank will expand to the point that the bracket won't be a fix. I am told the bracket is visible when looking at the front of the bike. The dealer said if I wanted to push the issue they would be more than happy to talk to the Ducati rep and that they would support me. I'm really not happy about it and am contemplating asking to meet with the Ducati rep. Anyone want to chime in that has seen the bracket? Should I just accept it or would you push the issue? At this point there are wear marks on the front of the tank where it rubbed against the ignition too.

I would push the issue with your dealer.

I went to my dealer about a month ago to show them my tank, it wasn't expanded as bad as some I've seen (or that they have seen) but I told them that I wasn't happy with the fact that DNA's current fix was a "maintenance kit" that would most certainly require a new seat. The shop manager said, per my request, the he would email DNA and tell them what I said and that I wasn't very happy but that he didn't think I would get a new tank.

Needless to say, my dealer called me a week ago and told me I was approved for a new tank. So again, push the issue. The worst that could happen is they say no.

And ducatiz, just because I'm getting a new tank doesn't mean I'm not interested in an aluminum one!!

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2287 on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »

This whole settlement deal is going to turn out like an octopus trying to make the beast with two backs a set a bagpipes: Ugly as hell and everyone involved gets pissed off.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Gadgetech

« Reply #2288 on: March 02, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

And ducatiz, just because I'm getting a new tank doesn't mean I'm not interested in an aluminum one!!

I gotta say, I'd be interested in one of those as well.  I'm going to pick up the bike tomorrow and we'll see how all that goes but I'm pretty sure I'm going to request a meet with the Ducati rep.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2289 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »

This whole settlement deal is going to turn out like an octopus trying to make the beast with two backs a set a bagpipes: Ugly as hell and everyone involved gets pissed off.
Truer words have not been spoken...

on the up side...

it was good for the economy. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

rockaduc

« Reply #2290 on: March 03, 2012, 04:53:18 AM »

Awesome visual!!!   waytogo

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
SSCR

« Reply #2291 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »

Dealer called me and my new tank is in! I have under 30 day since it arrived to get it replaced or they have to send it back. I asked about coating the tank but they said they don't offer that, no problem. I found a gas station not too far from me that offers ethanol free (100% pure gas) and plan on keeping a 14 gallon gas can in my garage to refill the bike. If this works out I actually might start shopping for a sport 1000. I'm pretty sure that should do the trick, still upset on how Ducati is handeling this but it is my own fault for not getting involved in the lawsuite. Thanks to everyone here for all the info.
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #2292 on: March 03, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »

Lucky...

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Gadgetech

« Reply #2293 on: March 03, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »

I went and picked her up today with the new shoes (PR 3s) and the IMO ridiculous "tank bracket fix".  Imagine the rubber pads that support the tank from the factory are like those fancy sleek puma shoes...okay have that?  Now imagine Frankenstein with a size 15, heavy lugged crap kicker and you now know what the replacement rubber supports look like.  They have ordered the shorter seat as the factory seat is really close to being too far up the tank but I told them they could keep it because intend to fight the decision.  What about the aftermarket seat I planned to purchase...what, oh well...sorry.  I don't think so.  Everyone acts so blase about the whole issue there it really got to me.  The service manager suggested I call DNA myself and see what they say and after stewing on this a bit I started getting more and more frustrated.  The GM came by and said we appreciate your business and I responded with, I'll be in touch soon to further discuss the tank issue (Since it was Saturday and they were busy).  I told him that if Ducati doesn't replace the tank, I'll be selling the bike and that I felt they should be the ones asking the DNA rep to reconsider the issue.  He said he'd get in touch with the DNA rep on Tuesday (they are closed Monday).  IDK if I'll really sell the bike or not but if they are "on my side" then they need to be fighting with me in my corner...not trying to referee. Below are some pics but basically it is a new bracket at the back of the tank to further move the tank back and new rubber pads. 

Pics:

Frankenstein's shoe...

Minimal/Non-Existent seat clearance.

New bracket at the back of the tank.

Plenty of clearance there now...notice the nice abrasion mark from when the tank was up against the ignition on what is the right (upper in pic) side of the tank.

Crappy picture from under the tank looking up at Frankenstein's shoe.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2294 on: March 04, 2012, 05:01:06 AM »

wow. 

meanwhile all the ~properly~ coated tanks are doing fine.

and look at that hinge bracket.  it looks like over an inch of adjustment available.  not a very sanguine design.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:02:39 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: