Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:22:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695306 times)
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #2355 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »

When I replaced the sf tank, the dealer let me take the new tank home as long as I paid a down payment of the cost of the tank.  After I brought it back coated and ready for installation they refunded me the money.  This way they were covered if anything went wrong e.g. me running away with the tank.

Ask your dealer about doing it that way, I'm pretty sure most of them would be ok with it.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
xsephirot

« Reply #2356 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »

When I replaced the sf tank, the dealer let me take the new tank home as long as I paid a down payment of the cost of the tank.  After I brought it back coated and ready for installation they refunded me the money.  This way they were covered if anything went wrong e.g. me running away with the tank.

Ask your dealer about doing it that way, I'm pretty sure most of them would be ok with it.

Or if you leave your bike there.
Betlog

« Reply #2357 on: April 04, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »

So assuming the Caswell coating was done improperly and it starts peeling off.  What problem could be caused by having the particles floating inside the tank?  Would it be an expensive repair if the fuel lines get clogged, for example?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2358 on: April 05, 2012, 02:47:20 AM »

So assuming the Caswell coating was done improperly and it starts peeling off.  What problem could be caused by having the particles floating inside the tank?  Would it be an expensive repair if the fuel lines get clogged, for example?
I don't see how the pieces would get past the pump screen

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Betlog

« Reply #2359 on: April 05, 2012, 05:29:50 AM »

I don't see how the pieces would get past the pump screen

Where is the pump screen?  I'm guessing from your reply that it's a non-issue?  How do I fish out the particles?  Just drain and rinse the tank?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2360 on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »

Where is the pump screen?  I'm guessing from your reply that it's a non-issue?  How do I fish out the particles?  Just drain and rinse the tank?
Pump screen is in the tank attached to the pump.

It's a non-issue IMO with regards to the pieces getting in the fuel system.

I guess that would do it, but what are you going to do about the peeling coating?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Betlog

« Reply #2361 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:01 PM »

So I'm thinking of sealing my tank with Caswell.  From a bit of research, it seems that I can get the tank to revert the expansion if I dry it out for about a month.  The question is, how close to original can it go back?  The sides of my tank have ripples (specifically the notches for the knees).
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #2362 on: April 10, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »

I got the Caswell but I've been having a hard time finding down time to coat my new tank b/c I've been using the bike for transportation so now I definitely have to let it air out for a month to make sure there is no water absorbtion.  I've been running the new tank for about a month now.  Annoying.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2363 on: April 10, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »

So I'm thinking of sealing my tank with Caswell.  From a bit of research, it seems that I can get the tank to revert the expansion if I dry it out for about a month.  The question is, how close to original can it go back?  The sides of my tank have ripples (specifically the notches for the knees).

if you have ripples, you have enough water ingress to possible compromise the tank and i would not coat, i would submit it for a replacement.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2364 on: April 10, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »

I got the Caswell but I've been having a hard time finding down time to coat my new tank b/c I've been using the bike for transportation so now I definitely have to let it air out for a month to make sure there is no water absorbtion.  I've been running the new tank for about a month now.  Annoying.

so you are riding on one tank and coating another?

you will need to let the tank air dry for a while, mine took 2 months to shrink back and then i let it sit for another few weeks before coating.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Betlog

« Reply #2365 on: April 10, 2012, 03:57:05 PM »

if you have ripples, you have enough water ingress to possible compromise the tank and i would not coat, i would submit it for a replacement.

It really is not bad. The paint is not peeling or anything.  It's basically a wavy deformation. I'm not sure if you are thinking of a ripple the same as how I'm thinking of a ripple.  Wouldn't drying it out work?  The tank is about 9 months old.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:03:31 PM by Betlog » Logged
Betlog

« Reply #2366 on: April 10, 2012, 04:00:34 PM »

so you are riding on one tank and coating another?

you will need to let the tank air dry for a while, mine took 2 months to shrink back and then i let it sit for another few weeks before coating.

Were you able to get it to original form?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2367 on: April 10, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »

It really is not bad. The paint is not peeling or anything.  It's basically a wavy deformation. I'm not sure if you are thinking of a ripple the same as how I'm thinking of a ripple.  Wouldn't drying it out work?  The tank is about 9 months old.

If it's just wavy expansion, then it's not a ripple.  Some have had ripples like a potato chip with the paint folding up.

With just wavy surface, you can dry it out.

Were you able to get it to original form?

It is still about 15mm wider than a comparable (virgin) tank, but that was the best I could do.

Betlog

« Reply #2368 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »

If it's just wavy expansion, then it's not a ripple.  Some have had ripples like a potato chip with the paint folding up.

With just wavy surface, you can dry it out.

It is still about 15mm wider than a comparable (virgin) tank, but that was the best I could do.

Thank you for clarifying!  At least you have more fuel capacity. :-)
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2369 on: April 11, 2012, 04:47:17 AM »

Thank you for clarifying!  At least you have more fuel capacity. :-)

well, yes but at a cost.  the tank will swell to the point that the frame bumpers are off the frame and the front latch cannot be opened and closed normally -- pressing against the keyswitch.  i have seen tanks with an imprint of the keyswitch in the front well as a result of the pressure (and non-diligent owner).

there is no upside to this situation, unfortunately. 

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: