Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695331 times)
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2640 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »

fixed

laughingdp

I remember when those first came out, I was at an HD dealer and I asked the salesman, "What do you think of it?"

He said, "It's the answer to a question no one asked."

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

twolanefun

« Reply #2641 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »

The V-Rod has a plastic tank too.

Doesn't really count it is a hidden fuel cell under the seat, I don't know what material they are made of but I'm not aware of a problem with them. In fact there are aftermarket larger fuel cells. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2642 on: December 13, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »

Doesn't really count it is a hidden fuel cell under the seat, I don't know what material they are made of but I'm not aware of a problem with them. In fact there are aftermarket larger fuel cells. - Gene

I don't know what your counting, but it is still a plastic tank.

twolanefun

« Reply #2643 on: December 13, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »

Yep I should have qualified my post. I'm lucky enough to have the only Harley model with a plastic tank problem. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
Patriot Guard Rider
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2644 on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:34 PM »

I don't know what your counting, but it is still a plastic tank.

Under the seat means hidden from view.  If it expands who cares Unless it leaks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2645 on: December 13, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

I wasn't referencing HDPE. So if PEX is bad then HDPE must be worse unless it is fluorinated. Some research by P. A. B. Carstens, J. A. De Beer, and J. P. Le Roux; New Surface-Fluorinated Products, discusses the benefits of surface fluorination of PE containers for insecticides, PE fuel tanks, and also for HDPE pipes. With examples of the reduction of permissivity by factors between 100x and 1000x.

That's interesting.  EPA SHED testing shows XLPE gas tanks permeate at a lower rate than HDPE tanks. EPA testing on Marine tanks made of HDPE and XLPE tanks showed XLPE rated lower permeation than all HDPE tanks. Plenty of HDPE tanks around on cars and boats.

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2646 on: December 13, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »

Under the seat means hidden from view.  If it expands who cares Unless it leaks.

Well, sorta.  I haven't heard of them leaking.  I haven't even heard of them expanding.  But you can certainly see them.  They are not hidden.  You can't see the whole thing, but you can certainly see much of it.  Granted, it's not a major cosmetic component like a nicely paint gas tank in the traditional location.

I wonder if any of them leak.

Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #2647 on: December 13, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »

I've been scouring euro/etc ebay sites for Ducati gas tanks.  I was looking for tanks made of XLPE/PEX -like a picture earlier in this thread (Reply #1228 page 82).  The listings that have a decent shot of the underside all have the nylon triangle/arrows molded into them.  I'm guessing Ducati used a fair amount of PA6 in Europe and elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:14:13 PM by Bill in OKC » Logged

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2648 on: December 13, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »

I wasn't referencing HDPE. So if PEX is bad then HDPE must be worse unless it is fluorinated. Some research by P. A. B. Carstens, J. A. De Beer, and J. P. Le Roux; New Surface-Fluorinated Products, discusses the benefits of surface fluorination of PE containers for insecticides, PE fuel tanks, and also for HDPE pipes. With examples of the reduction of permissivity by factors between 100x and 1000x.

I can't post it right now but there is a published ePA review of marine fuel tanks subjected to the shed test. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #2649 on: December 13, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »

Well, sorta.  I haven't heard of them leaking.  I haven't even heard of them expanding.  But you can certainly see them.  They are not hidden.  You can't see the whole thing, but you can certainly see much of it.  Granted, it's not a major cosmetic component like a nicely paint gas tank in the traditional location.

I wonder if any of them leak.

They've been swelling, dont know about leaking though:

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
hillbillypolack

« Reply #2650 on: December 13, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »

If anyone made a raw black/ charcoal plastic tank (similar to pic), I'd skin both knees buying two. One for the bike, another for a spare. Given they weren't prone to deformation.

Could be done easily, even if the raw plastic was evened out by cob or soda blasting for a matte finish.

twolanefun

« Reply #2651 on: December 13, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

They've been swelling, dont know about leaking though:

Yes the XR1200 tank problems are known he was referring to the VROD tanks under the seat.

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
Patriot Guard Rider
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2652 on: December 13, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »

Here's the thing. When I got into doing tanks, PEX was supposed to be the most dimensionally stable plastic there is for fuel tanks. BUT you can't paint it because fuel vapor seeps out through it. Any OEM, production tank that is painted is going to be nylon. Nylon which my plastics people said was dump to use for fuel tanks because it absorbs gasoline molecules whole. (they didn't say anything about water)

Well early on, SOME of our gas tanks would grow a little. Turns out we learn that plant wasn't cross-linking the pastic properly. Since we changed to the new folks who are very conscientious about their work, we haven't had enough problems to get a more reliable estimate about how the stable the plastic is. (so we assume that it's keeping shape well)

Now, I learn through research about fluorination. It could be that the tanks Cycleworks makes and puts through all these processes can be THE solution. Paintable and dimensionally stable.

HillbillyPolack: Yes, you can make our tank look like that with sandblasting / etc. Oh, I'm picking up the mold tomorrow...

Smiley Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
Massinova

Kiss my IZ_ butt

« Reply #2653 on: December 16, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

I'm surprised that Ducati is still pushing PA6 tanks on the US market.

I personally wouldn't buy another Ducati with this type of tank and somewhat confused why they are still pushing this dung heap of a fiasco on it's customers.

The cost and time to install a replacement for a deformed PA6 tank under warranty, metal seems dirt cheap in the long run.
wengr

« Reply #2654 on: April 04, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »

Hello, I have taken my Duc with expanded tank to the dealer, who claims to have photographed the tank and sent the pics and info to Ducati for approval. It's pretty well expanded and I hope to attain a new tank. The dealer acknowledges that they have been thru this before and have recieved and installed a few new tanks for other customers. However in my case it has been nearly a month and they say that there is still no response from ducati. I am getting the run around. Is there someone I can contact myself in order to try and force some action? Thanks in advance.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: