Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:33:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695336 times)
twolanefun

« Reply #2655 on: April 04, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »

There is a Customer Service Link on the DNA website, you'll needto know your code - PITA, which sjould be on a Red Card they sent you after your purchased the bike. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
wengr

« Reply #2656 on: April 04, 2013, 12:48:21 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I don't recall getting a red card with a code or anything from them in the mail, but I'll look into it.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2657 on: April 04, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »

The red card comes with the bike, not in the mail. It should have come with your keys.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2658 on: April 04, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »

The red card comes with the bike, not in the mail. It should have come with your keys.

Currently there is an owner's card with your name on it which has nothing to do with the code card which comes with the bike. At one point I was able to print off a copy of that card online using my VIN #. Might be worth a try.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
wengr

« Reply #2659 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »

Ok. I found the red card and called Ducati USA who told me they knew nothing about my bike. Said the dealer must not have submitted or submitted incorrectly. As expected they both blame the other for the delay. But the real problem is they claim that I do not need a replacement tank, but instead a different mounting kit. This seems completely unacceptable to me, as this thank has expanded back into the seat, also forward to where you cannot unlatch and lift it, and to the sides to where the rubbers are not seated on the frame but half off. Also the bar at full lock contacts the tank on the left hand side. Can something be done, or do we just have to accept whatever they say? Thanks in advance. 
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2660 on: April 09, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »

Did the dealer say that they would install the rubber mounts? In various cases they went that direction first. The dealer does not make that call. They send Ducati photos and based on those they decide if they should replace it. I would consider taking the tank to another dealer.

Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #2661 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »

Does anyone know if Ducati fixed this problem with the newer models or can us folks with 2012/2013 bikes expect trouble as well?

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
wengr

« Reply #2662 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Ducati says that the dealer never requested a replacement tank because the dealer decided it does not need replacement. I suspect that is untrue and Ducati drags their feet waiting for the deadline to come. I don't see how a new mounting kit is going to help the front to back issues.
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2663 on: April 09, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Ducati says that the dealer never requested a replacement tank because the dealer decided it does not need replacement. I suspect that is untrue and Ducati drags their feet waiting for the deadline to come. I don't see how a new mounting kit is going to help the front to back issues.

The new mounting kit comes with a new tank latch bracket that moves the tank further back towards the seat, then the resolve is a new, shorter seat. At least that's what was told to me when I had my tank replaced.

Supposedly, the tanks have an absorption threshold. Meaning they are supposed to only expand a certain amount and the new mounting hardware is supposed to account for that threshold. Roll Eyes

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
twolanefun

« Reply #2664 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »

Does anyone know if Ducati fixed this problem with the newer models or can us folks with 2012/2013 bikes expect trouble as well?
The newer models have a fuel cell behind the tank covers, what you see is not a tank but a cover. The fuel cell underneath that cover can expnd, distort etc... and it is designed not to affect the cover. That is the engineering and the theory and as far as I know no one with a new monster has reported a problem with this new design. -  Gene
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:24:25 AM by twolanefun » Logged

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #2665 on: April 09, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »

Thanks Twolane!   chug

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
wengr

« Reply #2666 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »

The new mounting kit comes with a new tank latch bracket that moves the tank further back towards the seat, then the resolve is a new, shorter seat. At least that's what was told to me when I had my tank replaced.
Great. And what if I want the Corbin that I've been planning on? And what if I obtain a proper size tank later, will they have taken my current seat? I wonder if there is some sort of dispute process?
Quote from: bearded Duc

Supposedly, the tanks have an absorption threshold. Meaning they are supposed to only expand a certain amount and the new mounting hardware is supposed to account for that threshold. Roll Eyes
Yes of course. I take that to mean that by the time it expands into the short seat, the 18 month window will have passed. I'd take it to another dealer but I really feel that Duc is blaming the dealer when they are making the determination. Fwiw, this is a mint bike with 875 miles on it. Anyway thanks for the info.
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2667 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

Great. And what if I want the Corbin that I've been planning on? And what if I obtain a proper size tank later, will they have taken my current seat? I wonder if there is some sort of dispute process? Yes of course. I take that to mean that by the time it expands into the short seat, the 18 month window will have passed. I'd take it to another dealer but I really feel that Duc is blaming the dealer when they are making the determination. Fwiw, this is a mint bike with 875 miles on it. Anyway thanks for the info.

I'd push the dealer to make the claim, then have the tank coated. The coating will cost you around $200 but, IMHO, that's nothing for piece of mind. There's no guarantee the coating will work 100% but mine is going strong for about a year now and others have reported much longer.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
wengr

« Reply #2668 on: April 10, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »

I'd push the dealer to make the claim, then have the tank coated. The coating will cost you around $200 but, IMHO, that's nothing for piece of mind. There's no guarantee the coating will work 100% but mine is going strong for about a year now and others have reported much longer.
Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'm sure the dealer makes as much money or more for the tank swap so I don't see why they would hesitate. In the event that I do get a new tank, I will certainly consider coating. Thanks for the advice.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2669 on: April 10, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »

The dealer will eventually get reimbursed by Ducati. DNA might take a little while to pay them back so smaller dealers have been known not to want to do the leg work.

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: