Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 03:15:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666823 times)
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2010, 01:44:41 AM »

ugh, that's exactly what they did with the 900ss frame cracking problem.
Actually, up until a couple of years ago, they were still replacing those frames with new ones.  They may still be doing it, I don't know for sure.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2010, 03:48:58 AM »

Actually, up until a couple of years ago, they were still replacing those frames with new ones.  They may still be doing it, I don't know for sure.

You don't understand my analogy.

Also, Ducati was no longer replacing SS frames as of 2005.  I have direct knowledge.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »

You don't understand my analogy.

Also, Ducati was no longer replacing SS frames as of 2005.  I have direct knowledge.
OK

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Heath

« Reply #333 on: January 19, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »

Called my dealership and they said just drop it off and we will start the process.  Now I just need to find the right balance of weather and a person to give me a ride home.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Heath

« Reply #334 on: January 23, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »

Dropped the bike off today, Saturday.  The girl at the dealer said she could get the tank by Thursday and done by the weekend. :]

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #335 on: January 25, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

Finally in town long enough to try a different dealership this week.  Just talked to them on the phone and I already got a better vibe than the last place, fingers crossed.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
DCXCV

« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2010, 05:31:29 AM »

I joined about 3 weeks ago. Ducatiz thanks for your work on this. Since joining I have gone to my dealership and they put in a claim to DNA for me. I just got the news that I was denied a new tank due to the mileage on my bike. Apparently the emissions warranty is 5 years or 18K miles. My odometer is at 23K.

Haven't looked through this thread in a while, but if you don't have something resolved yet I have this to offer - DNA replaced my tank even with me being over the mileage.  My dealer mentioned the mileage limitation (I think I was right about at 30k) but said he'd try it anyway and didn't really forsee a problem.  And there was no problem.

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2010, 06:56:07 AM »

Haven't looked through this thread in a while, but if you don't have something resolved yet I have this to offer - DNA replaced my tank even with me being over the mileage.  My dealer mentioned the mileage limitation (I think I was right about at 30k) but said he'd try it anyway and didn't really forsee a problem.  And there was no problem.

Ducati has been replacing tanks regardless of mileage. They are trying to put them under warranty but where a tank is out of warranty, they do it as a "good will" swap.

I think this is great, I just fear that down the road some currently unaffected bikes will have the original tank.  Without an official recall, there is no way to know what bikes got a replacement tank.

This is the same problem with mid 90s 900SS which had a bad head weld design and would crack at the yoke.  Ducati replaced those frames even 10 years later, but since there was no official recall, if you are looking at a 94/95/96 900ss, you have NO WAY to know if the frame was replaced or not.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »

Finally in town long enough to try a different dealership this week.  Just talked to them on the phone and I already got a better vibe than the last place, fingers crossed.

I just got word from the second dealership that Ducati will cover my tank, it's now on order. waytogo waytogo waytogo

Pretty amazing...the first dealership specializes in Ducati, MV Augusta, Triumph, and other European brands.  I went there because that's where I bought my Duc originally.  When I had called them up, they didn't seem to have any familiarity with the expansion problem.  When I brought it in, the service guy acknowledged that my tank was expanding but told me that it was very doubtful that it would be covered as my mileage was too high and they were having trouble getting "legitimate" warranty claims covered as it was.  I called them to follow up several times over the course of a few weeks and never got a straight answer.

Before contacting Ducati NA, I felt obliged to try the other relatively close dealership, even though I had been warned against ever going there for service as they are primarily a Honda dealership that also carries some Ducatis.

I sent in an online appointment request on Monday describing the problem and asking for an appointment to come in and have my tank evaluated.  I got a call back 2 minutes later, the guy there was clearly very familiar with the tank problem and its cause, and told me to come by anytime.  I went by yesterday, he was not concerned about my mileage, he's never been turned down yet for a tank replacement  Smiley, and mine was the worst example that he's seen so far. Tongue  He also clearly knew his way around a Monster.

He told me it would take up to a week to get an answer back, but he called me today and told me it would be replaced. Grin

Oh, and he made an interesting comment - apparently the tanks shrink back down again after they've been empty for a while.  He said that they have shipped a number of the bad tanks to Italy and they seem to have shrunk by the time they arrive.

BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #339 on: January 28, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »

I just got word from the second dealership that Ducati will cover my tank, it's now on order. waytogo waytogo waytogo

Congrats!  That same dealer replaced my tank both times.  And my cylinder heads + extras.  I was always happy with their work and professionalism.  They seem to have a very good relationship with DNA, which can make a big difference.  No reason a shop can't handle more than one brand well!  Thumbs up for HPD.

BK
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2010, 04:01:18 AM »

Oh, and he made an interesting comment - apparently the tanks shrink back down again after they've been empty for a while.  He said that they have shipped a number of the bad tanks to Italy and they seem to have shrunk by the time they arrive.

I got the same story as well from DNA.  This is an interesting piece of info which means the permeability of the inner tank skin is absorbing and then leaching off the gas or ethanol.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #341 on: January 29, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »

I got the same story as well from DNA.  This is an interesting piece of info which means the permeability of the inner tank skin is absorbing and then leaching off the gas or ethanol.

Thats werid. Wouldnt the gas permate to the underlining paint and begin to dissolve it?

also, i found it really odd, but before my bike sat for 2 months straight. i filled the tank up, and when i first took it out, the tank was 1/2 empty....

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #342 on: January 30, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »

Thats werid. Wouldnt the gas permate to the underlining paint and begin to dissolve it?

Not necessarily.  There is likely a limit of how far it penetrates.  Also, some people have reported surface spots being soft/mushy as if there is liquid underneath the paint layer.  also, i would assume the paint to be resistant to gas (or we have yet another problem!)  to deal with spills.

also, i found it really odd, but before my bike sat for 2 months straight. i filled the tank up, and when i first took it out, the tank was 1/2 empty....

that is weird and if it happened to me, i would drain the gas assuming all the volatiles have come off and only water and ethanol is left! 

seriously, was your gas siphoned?  it could have expanded such that the volume inside increased as well, so the tank was 1/2 full.  imagine liquid in a balloon, full.  then blow some air inside long with the liquid.  same thing.

Heath

« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2010, 10:17:33 PM »

Just an update on mine.  They said shipping of the tank is taking longer then expected.  So still waiting for mine to be fixed.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:40 PM »

I finally got around to filing my NHTSA complaint, thanks for the reminder.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: