Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 05:01:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 669803 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #585 on: June 15, 2010, 12:40:13 AM »

Scroll back to the first few pages.  I've requested ppl send me pics but only a few have come in.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DUCURTI

« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2010, 06:55:11 AM »

I got the call yesterday that my tank is in and that I'm scheduled for installation next Tuesday. Can't believe how quick and painless that was!

My digital camera is broken but I'll try to take some cell pics of the expanded tank tonight.

2007 s4rs
adamld83

« Reply #587 on: June 17, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »

Well looks like this may be happening to me now. Just bought an 06 s2r in red/white a month ago w/ 5500k on it. At first I saw two tiny dimples maybe a mm in diameter assuming it was from direct damage, and now there is a couple more. You can only see it in the right light. Damn bang head...assuming it took so long to happen since the guy barely put any miles on it and drained the fuel system when it sat. Since then Ive put about 700 miles on it.  Wonder if my dealer will go ahead and replace it even if its in the beginning stages. Funny my brother wants a yamaha and all of a sudden is breaking my balls about my expensive ducati with the magical illusion of a tank. WTF.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #588 on: June 17, 2010, 08:47:51 AM »

I am surprised at the LOW number of NHTSA reports.  Unless we get the numbers up it is very unlikely there will be a recall.  I have spoken to them several times and the basically say there just isn't enough reports.

I have >200 people on my mail list and about 30 people have files reports with NHTSA.

Unless more people step up and make official complaints, my efforts are a big waste of time.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #589 on: June 17, 2010, 09:16:14 AM »

Near as I can 'tiz.....

people are just concerned with getting a new tank, and not getting a recall instituted.

Which is fine until the tank warps again, and Ducati doesn't cover it. I know the wifey did it-what are the rest of you doing?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #590 on: June 17, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »

I have at least 20 ppl on my mail list who are on a second replacement and 5 who have had 3 replacements.

Ducati replaced cracked 900ss frames until a few years ago.  I doubt with this voilume they will be so generous.

adamld83

« Reply #591 on: June 17, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »

I just got my bike and am new to this but do I have to wait to file a report when my tank gets fixed? I would be willining to do it now if I can. How do I go about that?
Spyvito

Kick the tires, light the fires

« Reply #592 on: June 17, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »

Thanks for doing this, I have signed up (I think).  I am certain however that I filed a NHTSA complaint on their site but never heard back.  I have a 2006 Paul Smart that is on it's second gas tank.  First was replaced by Ducati last fall.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #593 on: June 17, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »

Don't wait.  It is unrelated.  You just need your VIN and mpdel info and to describe the problem

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I posted some sample language but it is unnecessary.  Saying the gas tank expanded and how much is sufficient.  Mention how on a bike the gas tank IS BETWEEN YOUR LEGS and a split tank would be ahuge problem.  If your handles were/are hitting say so because that affects handling.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=39604.msg705123#msg705123

Link to how you can tell if you have a warped tank. maybe you can put it in your intial post so everyone can see it.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Wonked

« Reply #595 on: June 17, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »

I just filed a complaint. Thanks Ducatiz.
vaclav

« Reply #596 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »

I just filed with NHTSA and subscribed to  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ducatiplastictanks/join  Thanks for the links. Also, I took mine in to the dealer two weeks ago. He had a surprised look on his face but he got his digcam out right away and took pictures of the hinge slots and latch area. I called a week later and he said they were backordered. I called again today (two weeks later) - still backordered. And don't call him, he'll call me. Did anybody get any paperwork given to them when they made their complaint? I have no documentation whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:08:16 PM by vaclav » Logged
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #597 on: June 17, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »

Good question on the paperwork

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #598 on: June 17, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »

I got an email confirmation of my complaint, that's it.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
scduc

« Reply #599 on: June 17, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »

A recent post has brought me to investigate my filing, and althought I'm fairly confident that I did file a complaint, I have lost my ODI # and my searches do not come up with anything. My next step is to re-file. UPDATE: I did just find my ODI# and really should have left a larger complaint. My concern is that these complaints seem to be scattered on the NHTSA database. And the only option for the monster is the 08' 696 which not too many have had problems yet. Maybe there is not enough complaints due to them being scattered. We all need to do the paperwork. I do not want my tank to get all wacked out and then be forced to pay for it out of my own pocket, only to have it fail a year later.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:28:30 PM by scduc » Logged

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: