Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666684 times)
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #780 on: August 30, 2010, 04:09:07 AM »

Here's an interesting little tidbit of info for you guys....

I just got off the phone with Craig at Caswell. During my discussion he mentioned they have sold some of their fuel tank sealer to DNA for testing and that they were "very pleased" with the result. So I ask you, does that mean that DNA is planning on sealing our tanks with the Caswell sealer prior to shipping out the tanks for warranty replacement? That would make sense wouldn't it? Some people have mentioned having to have their tank replaced more than once and at over $2K per tank this has to be getting expensive for Ducati. I would think a $40 fuel tank sealer kit from Caswell would be a great way to insure that the replacment tank wouldn't have the same problem.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #781 on: August 30, 2010, 04:15:38 AM »

I'm not sure that the tanks go through DNA. From what I understood, they come straight from Italy to the dealer. DNA might ask the dealers to apply it. Some dealers are impossible to simply have them put in the warranty request, let alone ask them to apply an additional coating.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #782 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:55 AM »

Here's an interesting little tidbit of info for you guys....

I just got off the phone with Craig at Caswell. During my discussion he mentioned they have sold some of their fuel tank sealer to DNA for testing and that they were "very pleased" with the result. So I ask you, does that mean that DNA is planning on sealing our tanks with the Caswell sealer prior to shipping out the tanks for warranty replacement? That would make sense wouldn't it? Some people have mentioned having to have their tank replaced more than once and at over $2K per tank this has to be getting expensive for Ducati. I would think a $40 fuel tank sealer kit from Caswell would be a great way to insure that the replacment tank wouldn't have the same problem.

The coating (or some coating very similar) would be applied at the time of manufacture.  Even $40/tank is high.  If it is possible to include it as the last stage of roto-molding, then the per-tank cost drops to materials only and probably absurdly cheap, esp compared to replacing the tanks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #783 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »

The coating (or some coating very similar) would be applied at the time of manufacture.  Even $40/tank is high.  If it is possible to include it as the last stage of roto-molding, then the per-tank cost drops to materials only and probably absurdly cheap, esp compared to replacing the tanks.

Exactly. Also, the Caswell kit will do 2 almost 3 of our tanks so even though $40 is a lot for DNA or the dealer to absorb it would be less in quantity.

IMO Ducati should do something other than just keep replacing tanks becasue of the shitty fuel we are required to buy.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Greg

« Reply #784 on: August 31, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »

Tank update - San Antonio - After KCI closed shop with my new tank "on order", I finally visited the new Ducati dealership in San Antonio. I explained the situation with KCI and that the tank had apparently been OK'ed for a replacement previously, so they wrote it up and took more pictures to submit to DNA. They said they would be in touch with me as soon as they heard back from DNA.
Hopefully this time I will get a new tank, as the old one is really swelling bad and it's a pregnant dog to unlatch the tank.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #785 on: September 02, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »

<snip>
IMO Ducati should do something other than just keep replacing tanks becasue of the shitty fuel we are required to buy.
It seems they're doing the best they can...things take time and Ducati isn't going to spend whatever the cost to coat tanks until they have proof it will solve the problem.

Remember DNA doesn't design the motorcycle...just import and support.

I'm certain that this is costing everyone involved an everyone would like a permanent solution.

Why not talk to your representative about changing the regs regarding fuel?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

J.P.

« Reply #786 on: September 02, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »

You're Right!
That does it, I'm gonna write a letter!  Smiley

On a serious note, I found a source of ethanol free, 100 octane, low lead. Local airport. Runs great in the norton and doesn't dissolve the Fiber glass tank, but anyone know what it'll do to a s2r1000?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:00:06 PM by J.P. » Logged

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #787 on: September 02, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »

You're Right!

On a serious note, I found a source of ethanol free, 100 octane, low lead. Local airport. Runs great in the norton and doesn't dissolve the Fiber glass tank, but anyone know what it'll do to a s2r1000?
100 octane would most likely carbon up the duc

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #788 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

You're Right!

Low lead sounds uh, unhealthy....

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
csp808

« Reply #789 on: September 02, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »

You're Right!

Likely ruin your o2 sensor
rockaduc

« Reply #790 on: September 02, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »

You're Right!

Might cause dogs and cats to sleep together.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #791 on: September 03, 2010, 03:20:15 AM »

You're Right!
That does it, I'm gonna write a letter!  Smiley

probably get it impounded while you stay in jail.

$6.50/gallon near me.  probably cheaper to coat the tank over the long run

Regular pump gas is $2.52 down the street.  $4/gallon premium?  the tank treatment is only $40.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #792 on: September 03, 2010, 04:31:44 AM »

Has anyone asked Caswell if we can get a good deal in a group buy?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #793 on: September 03, 2010, 04:47:57 AM »

Has anyone asked Caswell if we can get a good deal in a group buy?

nope, i think they do sell it in larger quantities, problem is reshipping it.  i imagine you could buy a bunch of the motorcycle kits tho.

J.P.

« Reply #794 on: September 03, 2010, 05:02:27 AM »

Lead and o2 sensor- maybe.
Note on caswell: applied it to the norton F-glass tank, must have missed a spot as the ethane fuel kept on attacking it, varnishing up the carbs,head. So application is very important, maybe employing a roto spinning jig thingie or something. The stuff does make a nice coating inside.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: