Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695315 times)
gr1976

« Reply #1350 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:06 AM »

I plan on coating the tank on the bike I just purchased w/ the Caswell kit. However, if it does end up expanding (seems doubtful) will this give the factory a reason not to replace my tank because modified it?
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1351 on: February 02, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »

Everyone I've spoken to who has gotten a tank inspected and replaced has said that the inspection did not include looking inside the tank.

Furthermore, the coating is transparent, so I don't know how they would even know it's been coated unless chemically tested.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Case S2R

« Reply #1352 on: February 02, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »

You can tell a tank is coated by looking in it, no need for a chemical test.  When you coat your new one you will understand.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1353 on: February 02, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »

You can tell a tank is coated by looking in it, no need for a chemical test.  When you coat your new one you will understand.

It's true, I was referring to the dealer inspection and that they would only be able to look thru the filler for that.  The first time they will have a chance to see inside the tank closeup is after the replacement has already been approved and new tank received by the dealer.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
slower than...

« Reply #1354 on: February 04, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »

Ah, the joys of owning a Ducati....

Tank #3 has expanded beyond the shims and is showing its first blister.  Dealer has reported it and hopes to get yet another replacement tank shortly.  Tank #4 will be sealed on my dime before putting it on the bike.

Blinged out Yellow '06 SportClassic Sport 1000 monoposto

New to me '02 Monster S4 Senna

Sweet Red '99 750 SuperSport Half-Fairing
Massinova

Kiss my IZ_ butt

« Reply #1355 on: February 04, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »

Ever since I've heard about the expanding tank problem, I was quick to make sure I restricted the amount of ethanol mixed gas in my tank.  However, my tank is slowly starting to ripple and dimple more with time.   I really don't want another similar type tank put on my bike, I want them (Ducati) to replace it with a permanent fix.   IMO, not only 1 but 3 tank replacements is a huge waste of time, effort and  resources for the customer, the dealer, and Ducati.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1356 on: February 04, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »

Ever since I've heard about the expanding tank problem, I was quick to make sure I restricted the amount of ethanol mixed gas in my tank.  However, my tank is slowly starting to ripple and dimple more with time.   I really don't want another similar type tank put on my bike, I want them (Ducati) to replace it with a permanent fix.   IMO, not only 1 but 3 tank replacements is a huge waste of time, effort and  resources for the customer, the dealer, and Ducati.

I couldn't agree more; however, it seems that all Ducati will do for now is replace the stock tank with another. At least, untill someone sues them and wins.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
cdnrcr

« Reply #1357 on: February 07, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »

Signed up. thanks
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #1358 on: February 10, 2011, 03:43:31 AM »

Seems even the new style Monsters are having issues with tank expansion.  I just posted a link to this thread over on ducati.ms: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/104841-m696-tank-expansion.html#post1020460

xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #1359 on: February 10, 2011, 08:06:53 PM »

Im sure Ducati agrees with you, as pissed as we are about this how pissed do you think Ducati is at Acerbis for not making a tank that holds up and reduces Ducati's PR? rest assured they've been up their ass about this from day 1, just because WE haven't heard/seen squat doesn't mean wheels aren't turning behind the scenes.

IMO they should have ditched Acerbis as soon as they started seeing this and found someone who could do it right (even going back to steel tanks) but im sure there are obligations we don't know about that are keeping the companies tied. given the recent litigation I wouldn't be surprised to see a change soon, especially if the new monsters are going to start pissing gas on the exhaust...
poseur

« Reply #1360 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »

Does anyone know what's going on with that class action law suit? When can we expect some sort of fix for this issue?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1361 on: February 20, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »

These cases can move very slowly.

mjk778

« Reply #1362 on: February 20, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »

Seems even the new style Monsters are having issues with tank expansion.  I just posted a link to this thread over on ducati.ms: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/104841-m696-tank-expansion.html#post1020460

I can understand tanks made between 05-08 having expanding issues (Even though acerbis/ducati should have researched potential issues w/ ethanol), but the newer bikes?  With how publicized the issue has been, you would think Ducati would have done everything possible to avoid this on their newer bikes .

I'm scratching my head on this one???
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1363 on: February 20, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »

I can understand tanks made between 05-08 having expanding issues (Even though acerbis/ducati should have researched potential issues w/ ethanol), but the newer bikes?  With how publicized the issue has been, you would think Ducati would have done everything possible to avoid this on their newer bikes .

I'm scratching my head on this one???

Is their a definite with confirmation that the new tanks are made of the same material as pre 08?   I must have missed it?

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1364 on: February 20, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »

Is their a definite with confirmation that the new tanks are made of the same material as pre 08?   I must have missed it?

They are not the same material.  There have been some tank problems with the new generation Monsters, not as common and maybe not related.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=25074.msg809084#msg809084
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:34:46 PM by howie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: