Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:41:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695259 times)
bikepilot

« Reply #1395 on: April 01, 2011, 07:08:24 AM »

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot  waytogo

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1396 on: April 01, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »

Ben at Coleman's (Fairfax) is pretty on the ball when it comes to the replacement  procedure. I just drove mine in, he took pictures and I rode out til the new tank was there.

I like this Monster-grow solution idea...A LOT!!!!!

Good to know.

I assume they aren't still requiring a deposit on the cost of the new tank until it comes in?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1397 on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »

Good to know.

I assume they aren't still requiring a deposit on the cost of the new tank until it comes in?

That went away at the same time. I think the got a call from DNA stimulated by some Ducatiz guy. Wink They only asked if I would bring the bike in within 1 week of the time the tank arrived and asked me to leave it overnight. I dropped it off in the evening and it was ready the next afternoon. Very painless, except it was cold as hell when I picked it up!

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
extra330

« Reply #1398 on: April 02, 2011, 07:16:57 AM »

For what it's worth, Batley Cycles in Rockville, MD seems to be on the ball with tank replacements. I'm expecting to hear some sort of conformation that tank #2 will be replaced soon. Their tech knew exactly what to look for.  applause

Cheers
Mike

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1399 on: April 07, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »

Yes, you can, but I would wait a while longer before doing that.

A lot of it is just the Italian side being slow.  Dealer and DNA can't change that.  My tank took 4 months. 
I contacted DNA about an update on my tank through their online form yesterday. Today I received a call from DNA telling me that my dealer has yet to file the claim.  bang head bang head
A very nice woman informed me that she called my dealer and told him to submit the claim today and she would follow up with me next week.
 I don't know who to believe, I checked in with my dealer a few times. He said he submitted the claim and could see that it was still pending on the computer. I'd like to believe he's not lying to me, but I don't. I've lost all confidence in him, it's not the first time I've got the screws. It looks like I'm going to be looking for a new dealer.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1400 on: April 07, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »

I contacted DNA about an update on my tank through their online form yesterday. Today I received a call from DNA telling me that my dealer has yet to file the claim.  bang head bang head
A very nice woman informed me that she called my dealer and told him to submit the claim today and she would follow up with me next week.
 I don't know who to believe, I checked in with my dealer a few times. He said he submitted the claim and could see that it was still pending on the computer. I'd like to believe he's not lying to me, but I don't. I've lost all confidence in him, it's not the first time I've got the screws. It looks like I'm going to be looking for a new dealer.

From what I have seen over the last year, it is probably the dealer, either by ignorance or laziness.  DNA has been pretty good about following up on questions and complaints, which I think people need to give them credit for.  How many times has VW/GM/Toyota/Honda/? called anyone back like that?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DucNaked

« Reply #1401 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »

From what I have seen over the last year, it is probably the dealer, either by ignorance or laziness.  DNA has been pretty good about following up on questions and complaints, which I think people need to give them credit for.  How many times has VW/GM/Toyota/Honda/? called anyone back like that?

I was impressed how quickly DNA contacted me. It was under a day and a real live person called me. I thanked her and voiced  concerns about my dealer.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:09:34 PM by DucNaked » Logged

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1402 on: April 07, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »

I was impressed how quickly DNA contacted me. It was under a day and a real live person called me. I thanked her and voiced my concerns about me dealer.

Are you Scottish?

DucNaked

« Reply #1403 on: April 07, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »

Are you Scottish?
No, autocorrect on stupid iPhone.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1404 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »

No, autocorrect on stupid iPhone.

make sure the Scottish dialect autocorrect is disabled. :-)

Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #1405 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »

I just had the old girl in at Moto Europa in St. Louis and so far they've taken fantastic care of me.  The services manager said that they've had 3 or 4 go through without a hitch (even some older bikes with high-ish mileage) so I'm pretty hopeful, not to mention they just opened their doors in October so they've been pretty eager to earn and keep business.  This was Tuesday and he said about 6 weeks to get the tank from Italy, so I'll keep everyone posted.  Pretty jazzed though.

Thanks again, Ducatiz, for all your help.  I wouldn't have even known my tank had a problem if it wasn't for you and this forum.  A million times  chug

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1406 on: April 08, 2011, 04:28:40 AM »

I just had the old girl in at Moto Europa in St. Louis and so far they've taken fantastic care of me.  The services manager said that they've had 3 or 4 go through without a hitch (even some older bikes with high-ish mileage) so I'm pretty hopeful, not to mention they just opened their doors in October so they've been pretty eager to earn and keep business.  This was Tuesday and he said about 6 weeks to get the tank from Italy, so I'll keep everyone posted.  Pretty jazzed though.

Thanks again, Ducatiz, for all your help.  I wouldn't have even known my tank had a problem if it wasn't for you and this forum.  A million times  chug

I'm glad to hear you got good treatment all around.  I would also recommend that you look into getting the tank coated as some folks (including me) have had a bad 2nd tank as well.

It would really suck if people were unaware and Ducati not held accountable.  That being said, I think they've done a great job (DNA).  The dealers are another story:  Some are acting A++ like yours and some not so good.  Maybe this will give DNA some feedback on their dealer network as well...

hillbillypolack

« Reply #1407 on: April 10, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

It was near 80 degrees this afternoon, and the S2R has been without a gas tank for over two months.

Short story is that my dealer's replacement looked like the sides of the tank were staggered at the centerline.  Meaning there was a noticeable dip in the surface at the tank surface just rear of the filler cap.  I took that tank back to the dealer, who said he would contact DNA for a replacement of the replacement.  There was also a great deal of orange peel paint on the lower sides of the tank.

That was in January.  I'll throw the dealer a bone and admit I need to call (though I have emailed several times) but knowing the material problem that contributed to this swelling, it will likely be my last Ducati.  My M900 is also in the garage, no problems with that at all gas tank, engine, carbs, etc.

It's a real pity, since when the S2R is running, it's a good bike.  Then again, so are many many other bikes in the same price range.
extra330

« Reply #1408 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »

So just two weeks or so after tank #2 was inspected, tank #3 has arrived at the dealer. Damn that was fast. My plan is to trailer the bike, have the new tank installed & trailer the bike back home, never letting any gas be put in the tank. I'm going to coat this one with Caswells. 

To date, has anyone had ANY expansion issues with a new tank that was coated with Caswells?  The local dealer has not had any first hand experience using Caswells coating on our tanks. He seems to think that Ducati will be replacing these tanks for years no matter how far out of warranty you may be. Sounds like good talk but I'm not so sure I believe him..

cheers

Mike

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1409 on: April 14, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »

I've not heard of anyone having problems with a coated tank.  Some multistrada riders are going on 18+ months with the same tank and no problems.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: