Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 12:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699690 times)
Raux
« Reply #1425 on: April 22, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »

I'm sure the chemistry for the plastic tanks was put into place way before politicians got together and decided to put money in their pockets with E10 without ever looking into the reprecusions.

Maybe it isn't Acerbis that should be in court, but the idiots that mandated E10
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1426 on: April 22, 2011, 08:10:51 AM »

I'm sure the chemistry for the plastic tanks was put into place way before politicians got together and decided to put money in their pockets with E10 without ever looking into the reprecusions.

Maybe it isn't Acerbis that should be in court, but the idiots that mandated E10

No.

First PA6/Nylon tanks appeared in the mid90s on Cagivas.  All of those had bladders though. 

Ethanol has been added to gasoline since the late 80s (at least in the USA) and acceptable for an additive in Europe at least since the 1990s.

No one considered it a problem back then as it replaced MTBE which is carcinogenic.  Ethanol actually does some good -- it cleans carbs and fuel injectors very well.  In fact, most "fuel system cleaners" are just ethanol.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Bishamon

« Reply #1427 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »

Agreed.  Our nylon tanks are only the tip of a very big iceberg when it comes to the myriad of problems caused by ethanol.

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) Sad
extra330

« Reply #1428 on: April 22, 2011, 11:47:34 AM »

So your saying that there are no new tanks being made? so in say 5+ years, when they depleted their inventory of tanks, then we are all screwed?

Ducgirl, I'm dropping of my 07 S4RS at Battley's Cycles tomorrow morning for tank #3. When I get it back I'll post the production date. I pretty sure this replacement is out of existing stock just because the dealer had it in hand within three weeks of the request for warranty replacement.

Cheers
Mike

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
muskrat

« Reply #1429 on: April 22, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »

waytogo
You should see my gas mileage when I drop E85 in the tank of my truck. 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1430 on: April 23, 2011, 03:41:41 AM »

I agree with that.  It seems (at least to me) ethanol became a problem in plastic (PA6) tanks when the volume hit 10%.  I could be wrong.

Plastic does have advantages of not corroding or denting.  Way back when E10, then called Gasahol was first introduced in 1978 corrosion of fuel tanks and fuel systems was rampant.

A
No.

First PA6/Nylon tanks appeared in the mid90s on Cagivas.  All of those had bladders though. 

Ethanol has been added to gasoline since the late 80s (at least in the USA) and acceptable for an additive in Europe at least since the 1990s.

No one considered it a problem back then as it replaced MTBE which is carcinogenic.  Ethanol actually does some good -- it cleans carbs and fuel injectors very well.  In fact, most "fuel system cleaners" are just ethanol.

A bladder could be an interesting cure.  This would also work for evaporative emissions (no more canister).

ducgrl

« Reply #1431 on: April 23, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »

I'll be picking up my S2R today for the tank change....first one...

Ducgirl, I'm dropping of my 07 S4RS at Battley's Cycles tomorrow morning for tank #3. When I get it back I'll post the production date. I pretty sure this replacement is out of existing stock just because the dealer had it in hand within three weeks of the request for warranty replacement.

Cheers
Mike

2008 S2R1000
2011 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1432 on: April 23, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »

If you got a replacement tank, what is the date of manufacture?

You find it on the underside, it looks like this:

Date clock molding.  Dots indicate month, numbers indicate year:

Final inspection stamp (Controllo Finale) :

I picked up my wifes replacement today.Looks like it was made in 2010.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1433 on: April 23, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »

Your wife's replacement or wife's replacement TANK?  :-)

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #1434 on: April 23, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp   applause  Well played.

DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1435 on: April 24, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »

Your wife's replacement or wife's replacement TANK?  :-)
I like them young, but 2010 is just plain wrong!
Replacement TANK!

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #1436 on: April 24, 2011, 07:23:09 AM »

I like them young, but 2010 is just plain wrong!
Replacement TANK!

If you really think about it, it wouldn't be that wrong... I mean hell, if she was plastic and had a date molded into her... you'd want a fresh one right?  waytogo

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
bikepilot

« Reply #1437 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »

I'm glad you got a newer tank, hopefully it'll work better!  I noticed that my Montesa trials bike has a tank made of the same material and is starting to expand.  The PO (I just got the bike) was running half race gas, half premium pump gas (with ethenol no doubt as that's all you can really get around here), or so he said.  I'm going to go to straight race gas and hope it doesn't get any worse. 

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Dave328

« Reply #1438 on: April 26, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

Well, noticed sunday the tank I just had replaced in June '10 is starting to ripple and hang off of the frame. bang head  Angry
I guess I'm taking a trip back to the dealer this weekend. Sad I'm sure it'll be my last one since my Fed Emissions warranty expires this year. Cry
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1439 on: April 26, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »

Well, noticed sunday the tank I just had replaced in June '10 is starting to ripple and hang off of the frame. bang head  Angry
I guess I'm taking a trip back to the dealer this weekend. Sad I'm sure it'll be my last one since my Fed Emissions warranty expires this year. Cry

. . . . .after that, THEN what???  Which is why I'm more than upset about the way this is being handled from DNA.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: