Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:38:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695256 times)
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #1440 on: April 26, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »

Well, noticed sunday the tank I just had replaced in June '10 is starting to ripple and hang off of the frame. bang head  Angry
I guess I'm taking a trip back to the dealer this weekend. Sad I'm sure it'll be my last one since my Fed Emissions warranty expires this year. Cry

. . . . .after that, THEN what???  Which is why I'm more than upset about the way this is being handled from DNA.

I know you guys don't want to go back and read the whole thread.  DNA has been replacing tanks even if the warranty has passed.  Check out the first page, I think that info might actually be posted on the first page.

Dave328

« Reply #1441 on: April 27, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »

I know you guys don't want to go back and read the whole thread.  DNA has been replacing tanks even if the warranty has passed.  Check out the first page, I think that info might actually be posted on the first page.

Oh, I've been following the thread from the beginning, and I know that DNA has been replacing tanks that were past the Fed warranty. My concern is, for how long do we expect them to do that? Huh? My current tank lasted roughly 9 months. They aren't fixing the problem. Is DNA going to continue to put a new $1900 tank on my bike every 9 months? I think not. I love my bike, but between the clutch nut fiasco and the tank drama, the love affair isn't the whirlwind romance it once was. It's become hot and dirty, quickies in airport motels! cheeky laughingdp
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1442 on: April 27, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »

...the love affair isn't the whirlwind romance it once was. It's become hot and dirty, quickies in airport motels! cheeky laughingdp

Just make sure your seat back tray is in its full upright position.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1443 on: April 27, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »

I'm glad you got a newer tank, hopefully it'll work better!  I noticed that my Montesa trials bike has a tank made of the same material and is starting to expand.  The PO (I just got the bike) was running half race gas, half premium pump gas (with ethenol no doubt as that's all you can really get around here), or so he said.  I'm going to go to straight race gas and hope it doesn't get any worse. 
Don't forget to fog that motor after straight race gas.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

extra330

« Reply #1444 on: May 01, 2011, 09:16:29 AM »

The replacement tank the dealer installed last week was produced 09/2010. As soon as got home with the bike I washed out the tank to prep it for Caswells coating.

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1445 on: May 02, 2011, 05:19:15 AM »

I have been following this thread and several others related to the gas tank deformation.

Yes, DNA is replacing affected tanks.  But the replacements will (over time) deform since they're made of the same plastics and in some cases, are manufactured before this debacle became serious.

Caswell coating is one option, but IMHO, WTF is going on when Ducati can't own up to its mistake and make amends with its customers by offering a tank that won't deform?  The owner needs to coat their own tank?  Would you do that in a car?  I mean, seriously, that's BS. 

Give me the option of a rigid tank, metal preferred and I'll even pony up a few bucks for it since I understand the economy of scale involved.  But passing off old previously manufactured tanks and ones that are visually substandard (in my case) that's unmitigated bullsh!t.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1446 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »

I have been following this thread and several others related to the gas tank deformation.

Yes, DNA is replacing affected tanks.  But the replacements will (over time) deform since they're made of the same plastics and in some cases, are manufactured before this debacle became serious.

Caswell coating is one option, but IMHO, WTF is going on when Ducati can't own up to its mistake and make amends with its customers by offering a tank that won't deform?  The owner needs to coat their own tank?  Would you do that in a car?  I mean, seriously, that's BS. 

Give me the option of a rigid tank, metal preferred and I'll even pony up a few bucks for it since I understand the economy of scale involved.  But passing off old previously manufactured tanks and ones that are visually substandard (in my case) that's unmitigated bullsh!t.

i used to be angry, but then i think about how much we mod our bikes..  we have no problem spending $1k to put a new exhaust on because the factory one sucks, but for some reason we get infuriated to spend $50 to coat the tank?

I agree, the tanks should not be deforming, but until Ducati stops replacing bad tanks, I don't plan to pop a blood vessel over it.  Annoyed, yes, but not angry.  My point is that it doesn't seem to rise to the level of the legal definition of "product defect" as it is defined in the law and cases regarding motor vehicles, but it is a huge problem when you have it.

has ducati owned up to it?  I think they have, they are just not dealing with it the way people want (i.e. a metal tank or some other material)... they are replacing tanks.  you coat it.  end of problem.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1447 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »

i used to be angry, but then i think about how much we mod our bikes..  we have no problem spending $1k to put a new exhaust on because the factory one sucks, but for some reason we get infuriated to spend $50 to coat the tank?

I agree, the tanks should not be deforming, but until Ducati stops replacing bad tanks, I don't plan to pop a blood vessel over it.  Annoyed, yes, but not angry.  My point is that it doesn't seem to rise to the level of the legal definition of "product defect" as it is defined in the law and cases regarding motor vehicles, but it is a huge problem when you have it.

has ducati owned up to it?  I think they have, they are just not dealing with it the way people want (i.e. a metal tank or some other material)... they are replacing tanks.  you coat it.  end of problem.

I think that's where I'm at.  Annoyed, yes.  Popping a blood vessel. . . well not yet. 

Without stating the obvious, DNA's actions split the room.  Some don't mind the quick replacement, while others expect a bit more of a long term fix.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1448 on: May 02, 2011, 07:38:41 AM »

I think that's where I'm at.  Annoyed, yes.  Popping a blood vessel. . . well not yet. 

Without stating the obvious, DNA's actions split the room.  Some don't mind the quick replacement, while others expect a bit more of a long term fix.

You should know I've been on top of this from the beginning.  But coming from a legal perspective, there isn't THAT much that can be done to force a different response AT THIS POINT.

Unfortunately, it may take someone dying or being injured, but honestly, the chances of that are pretty low. 

Getting a virgin tank (when you are out of warranty) and spending $50 for the coating (or $200 to have someone do it) isn't such a bad deal. 

Sucks, yes.  But nothing is perfect.   boo

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1449 on: May 02, 2011, 12:09:40 PM »

Getting a virgin tank (when you are out of warranty) and spending $50 for the coating (or $200 to have someone do it) isn't such a bad deal. 

Sucks, yes.  But nothing is perfect.   boo

And in my case paying DP to paint the tank again.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1450 on: May 02, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »

And in my case paying DP to paint the tank again.

Why? custom paint job?

DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1451 on: May 02, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »

Why? custom paint job?
Yep, the previous owner had Nate paint it. So I coated the new one and drove it down to Nate last week.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1452 on: May 02, 2011, 04:36:44 PM »

do you think ducati would ever just offer to coat the tank for free instead of replacing ad infinitum?  seems like the easier route... esp when the old tank supply finally start to dry up.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1453 on: May 02, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »

do you think ducati would ever just offer to coat the tank for free instead of replacing ad infinitum?  seems like the easier route... esp when the old tank supply finally start to dry up.

i suggested it to them.  i don't know if they will.  there is no reason they couldn't.. 

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1454 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:41 AM »

i suggested it to them.  i don't know if they will.  there is no reason they couldn't.. 
Wasn't there a certification issue?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: