Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:29:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695247 times)
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1470 on: May 27, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »

According to their site, that tank is a PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) plastic that is molded in color and the surface is unpaintable. Not really suitable for a street bike, IMO.
Possibly, but what is the alternative if Ducati ceases to replace the stock tanks? Purchase another funky stock Duc tank for $2,000.00?  Black should go fine with my black & silver S2R.  Cool 

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1471 on: May 28, 2011, 03:09:35 AM »

According to their site, that tank is a PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) plastic that is molded in color and the surface is unpaintable. Not really suitable for a street bike, IMO.
+1
And the shape is just plain ugly.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1472 on: May 28, 2011, 03:26:17 AM »

Its a high capacity tank.  The paint issue exists with all PEX tanks which is why later PEX tanks from Ducati have panels.  I've heard very good things about Chris's tanks but they are not for everyone.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Bishamon

« Reply #1473 on: May 28, 2011, 03:37:31 AM »

Ethanol has been around since the early 1990s

It's been around even longer, but it was insignificant in North America until the legislation of the last few years.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:41:04 AM by Bishamon » Logged

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) Sad
Dave328

« Reply #1474 on: May 28, 2011, 05:39:46 AM »

Possibly, but what is the alternative if Ducati ceases to replace the stock tanks? Purchase another funky stock Duc tank for $2,000.00?  Black should go fine with my black & silver S2R.  Cool 
My bike is red/white, so I don't have as much leeway, unfortunately. The alternative is the word starts to get out about the crappy way DNA is handling this and dealers are stuck with floorplans of new bikes that won't sell. My dealer had a couple 1098/1198's waiting for tanks because they swelled while they were off for service and can't be reinstalled. We all know we aren't just dealing with a few models/bikes. It's going to be ALL of them at some point. I don't think DNA really grasps what a huge deal this is! Personally I've already started my search backwards into the metal tanks. (916-998 Wink)
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1475 on: May 28, 2011, 06:34:11 AM »

Seems like anyone dealing with this issue is stuck in a no-win situation. There are no attractive or affordable alternatives to the stock replacement tank once it deforms again.

I agree that Ducati is in over it's head on this one. Clearly it doesn't understand the fundamental concept of brand loyalty. If they did, the owners would be taken care of far better with a more permanent solution. I am the original owner of my S2R, and feel that Ducati is merely going through the motions until they use up all available tanks in their inventory.

Since I'm familiar with the domestic auto industry, this situation looks all too similar to GMs treatment of their customers in the 1980s and 1990s. How did that affect GMs market share and position in the auto industry?  If you F an owner of your car, why would they come back for a new car?  How long did it take GM to prove their cars are worth considering?  Are they even considered now?

My point is that Ducati is far far smaller, and has more to lose by bobbling this gas tank issue. Fighting the lawsuit shows a bit of arrogance and not disclosing the situation to the bikes owners (via letter, etc), is flat out negligent in FMVSS and NHTSA standards.

In the coming months I would be interested to see the correllation of this relative to change in return buyers, Ducati market share and profitability. Can you see another bankruptcy?  It's not out of the question, IMHO especially since the NA market is where Ducati has been trying to gain customers and mkt share. How are they leveraged in that region?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:51:12 AM by hillbillypolack » Logged
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1476 on: May 28, 2011, 08:10:38 AM »

And they don't offer a tank for an '07 S4RS (nor does anyone else that I can tell).

In my future I see either getting rid of my Monster, or popping big coin for a custom hand formed aluminum tank made by some artisan.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Mike_D

« Reply #1477 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »

I have an 08 S2R1K and have not had any expansion issues until recently.  In addition to a couple of small pimples on the tank itself, the right side rubber tank rest is nearly pushed off the frame.  The left side is fine, and there is still plenty of clearance for the tank latch.

Should I wait until the expansion becomes more pronounced or take it to the dealer now?  I love my monster, but this whole issue suxx--why doesn't DNA just issue a full recall and do the right thing? 

2008 S2R 1k.  Black.  Pazzo Levers, 14 t front sprocket, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, Cycle Cat Frame Sliders,  Oberon open clutch cover and gold/black EVR pressure plate, full Arrow exhaust with reflashed and mapped ECU, tail chop with gold Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals, Ohlins rear shock and Rizoma fluid reservoirs.
jwoconnor

« Reply #1478 on: May 28, 2011, 09:16:13 AM »

I have an 08 S2R1K and have not had any expansion issues until recently.  In addition to a couple of small pimples on the tank itself, the right side rubber tank rest is nearly pushed off the frame.  The left side is fine, and there is still plenty of clearance for the tank latch.

Should I wait until the expansion becomes more pronounced or take it to the dealer now?  I love my monster, but this whole issue suxx--why doesn't DNA just issue a full recall and do the right thing? 

I'm starting to see similar issues, mostly cosmetic at the moment though the top triple now contacts the tank on both sides before the lock.

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 S2R1000
Dave328

« Reply #1479 on: May 28, 2011, 11:34:29 AM »

I'm starting to see similar issues, mostly cosmetic at the moment though the top triple now contacts the tank on both sides before the lock.
To me, that is a safety issue. But unfortunately as long as they are not leaking Ducati will continue to to tell it's loyal customers, "Hey it's just cosmetic and while you're at it spread your legs a bit more so we can get a good kick square at your nuts!"
patrick696

« Reply #1480 on: May 28, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »

It is very irritating that Ducati does not formally acknowledge such a widespread problem...
I do notice that like most companies they are pushing into the social space with a Ducati NA Facebook page and that Ducati NA Kontain social network page. I wonder what could happen if those sites were to become flooded with very public demands from their "followers" for answers on this issue.
rockaduc

« Reply #1481 on: May 28, 2011, 01:06:19 PM »

Just had pics taken of my tank for a second replacement.  The first one displaying swelling across the width and rippling on the sides near the seat.  This one has swollen length-wise so now it is impossible to undo the latch to raise the tank.   boo

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« Reply #1482 on: May 31, 2011, 04:09:27 AM »

Just had pics taken of my tank for a second replacement.  The first one displaying swelling across the width and rippling on the sides near the seat.  This one has swollen length-wise so now it is impossible to undo the latch to raise the tank.   boo

Are you local to nymmc? just wondering which dealer you are going through to get your new tank. My problem is not so much cosemtic, yes its slightly blown out, but more importantly i cannot unlatch my tank.

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1483 on: May 31, 2011, 04:43:02 AM »

same here. mine has reached the point where to unlatch it, i have to break out the 10mm socket and completely remove the ignition key cover.
CA-Cycleworks track tank is in my near future.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
sbrguy

« Reply #1484 on: May 31, 2011, 05:54:36 AM »

if you think about it, ducati is doing everything right.

they get new customers and dont' tell them about this issue they will find out in time but by then its too late they already have their 15-20k for a new bike.

if that person doesn't buy a new bike again so be it, no worries, they got the money alreayd thye always have to get new sales not repeat so much.

then there are the ones that already have the bikes, well again it doesn't matter bc most of you that complain will either keep the ducati or buy another one bc of the social status, looks, or that you can't find something else that will exactly match the ducati so you are stuck.  the fact that you have a deformed tank that has been replaced 2 times and now you are still posting on a ducati forum board and such, shows that you won't leave the brand, heck the very nature of this site promotes brand loyalty and dna has nothing to do with it, we are marketing ducati even better than they could.

as long as ducati still can spin this as cosmetic and nobody is injured they never have to admit anything is wrong at all, and the new buyers will come back, but once they have to do a recall of the last 7 years of tanks for safety reasons and its in consumer reports or such then they will lose market share for putting out shoddy bikes, right now as long as this never really goes "public" like that, new owners or prosepective ones will not be the wiser at all.

don't you just love "small" corporations?   applause  they are identical to the large ones, you really don't matter as long as they convince you to give them money you are the onese that lose, everytime.except they promoete the whole "small" aspecte really nicely.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: