Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:39:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695257 times)
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1515 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:39 AM »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

the problem with the ETI cels is that they are for carbed monsters... which came with steel tanks...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1516 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »

the problem with the ETI cels is that they are for carbed monsters... which came with steel tanks...
John has made tanks for the injected monsters also.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

rac3r

« Reply #1517 on: June 10, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »

I have this problem here in the UK. I'm currently in contact with Ducati and my Dealer so lets see what happens...
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1518 on: June 10, 2011, 10:58:10 AM »

John has made tanks for the injected monsters also.

fair enough!

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1519 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »

I don't have that problem, as mine is a Sport1000.   Cheesy

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Dave328

« Reply #1520 on: June 10, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »

Just got the word that tank #2 was approved and it is in!  applause
Going tomorrow to get it installed. I'm still undecided how I'm going to proceed. The svc dept swears by Startron, saying they use it in all of their bikes and it seems to have slowed the swelling to a standstill. Do I want to run this in the tank and cross my fingers hoping DNA will do the right thing eventually? Or just get out from under this anvil and get a 996 and wait for the chrome to flake off of the POS rocker arms? Grin <sigh>
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:50:05 PM by Dave328 » Logged
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #1521 on: June 10, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »

I'm still waiting on thank #2  Cry

2007 red S4Rs
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1522 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »

Just got the word that tank #2 was approved and it is in!  applause
Going tomorrow to get it installed. I'm still undecided how I'm going to proceed. The svc dept swears by Startron, saying they use it in all of their bikes and it seems to have slowed the swelling to a standstill. Do I want to run this in the tank and cross my fingers hoping DNA will do the right thing eventually? Or just get out from under this anvil and get a 996 and wait for the chrome to flake off of the POS rocker arms? Grin <sigh>

caswell it... it's been pretty much a proven fix, and i believe even DNA has tested it as working.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Dave328

« Reply #1523 on: June 11, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »

caswell it... it's been pretty much a proven fix, and i believe even DNA has tested it as working.
Was going to, but the svc mgr said he is seeing and also getting word from other dealers of instances where the coating is starting to peel and flake at the filler neck. I decided against opening a whole new can o'worms and give the Startron a shot. From what I have read, it appears to completely neutralize the ethanol/water separation which is our whole problem to begin with.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1524 on: June 11, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »

Was going to, but the svc mgr said he is seeing and also getting word from other dealers of instances where the coating is starting to peel and flake at the filler neck. I decided against opening a whole new can o'worms and give the Startron a shot. From what I have read, it appears to completely neutralize the ethanol/water separation which is our whole problem to begin with.

I wish these guys would document it if they see it.  I haven't heard nor seen any such thing.  The guys on the multistrada board have been doing it for over 3 years now and none of them have had a single issue with it.  Moreover, nor has Caswell's had any reports of it or discussion of it on their online forum.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Dave328

« Reply #1525 on: June 12, 2011, 04:28:46 AM »

I wish these guys would document it if they see it.  I haven't heard nor seen any such thing.  The guys on the multistrada board have been doing it for over 3 years now and none of them have had a single issue with it.  Moreover, nor has Caswell's had any reports of it or discussion of it on their online forum.
I know. And they still coat tanks anyway. I could have had mine done. This has been going on for so long, I have learned to take just about everything I hear with a grain of salt. However, if it was ever going to flake and peel, it would most likely start at the edge, ie: the filler neck. This is in NO way a knock on Caswell. I'm sure it is 100% effective against our issue!
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1526 on: June 12, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »

One thought though:  since there is a deck at the filler that prevents one from seeing into the tank directly how have they observed said peeling?  Sounds like utter bullshit to me.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Narflar
Beware the wrath of my

Professional Lurker

« Reply #1527 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:15 AM »

How does the coating hold up in a crash?  The plastic tanks will generally pop back into place but with a hard epoxy coating I imagine that would crack and flake off inside the tank.

2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
2008 Honda ST1300
2008 Triumph Speedmaster
2004 Ducati M1000
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1528 on: June 12, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »

That's the 64,000$ question.  It is flexible once dried but I doubt it is as flexible as the nylon.

arai_speed
« Reply #1529 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »

I had my 3rd tank coated with Casswell and I haven't looked back since.  Someone on ducati.ms made a comparison between people replacing their clutch slave and not blinking an eye but yet raising up hell on coating the tank.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: