Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 08:19:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 705379 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1530 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »

I had my 3rd tank coated with Casswell and I haven't looked back since.  Someone on ducati.ms made a comparison between people replacing their clutch slave and not blinking an eye but yet raising up hell on coating the tank.

it's very different.  clutch slave failures are rare.  i don't know anyone personally of those people who ride ducati who have had a clutch slave failure, but out of 8 people i know (personally, in real life) who ride ducati, 7 of them have had a blown tank on a monster, sc, multia or sbk. 

moreover, you should never have to replace your tank unless you crash.  it's not a wear item.  rebuilding the clutch slave is -- i mean, the parts are wear items.  most people have simply replaced the piston with an upgraded type and that's it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
arai_speed
« Reply #1531 on: June 13, 2011, 09:51:22 PM »

I think what the poster was trying to say is that people change/modify their bikes to all the time.  New clutch slave for easier pull, new PP, new clutch cover, different levers for small hands, etc.  The tank coating was just another "mod" if you will to keep your bike looking the way you want it to look.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1532 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »

I think what the poster was trying to say is that people change/modify their bikes to all the time.  New clutch slave for easier pull, new PP, new clutch cover, different levers for small hands, etc.  The tank coating was just another "mod" if you will to keep your bike looking the way you want it to look.

I disagree.  Mods tend to improve or enhance the performance of the bike.  Clutch slaves (lever modulation and effort), exhausts (response and accelleration). 

Coating a tank is not a 'mod'.  It's getting the tank back to where it should have been in the first place (holding petrol and not deforming).  Why should I have to F with it and get it essentially back to 'stock'?  I have better things to spend both my time and money on.

Saying tank coating is a 'mod' is like saying a straight frame is a 'mod'. 
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1533 on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »

I agree and disagree. Changing the mirrors does not improve the performance, just the looks. Now, having to spend money on a coating is still not a "mod".

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1534 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »

Changing the mirrors is optional, uprating performance is optional.  Fixing a bad tank is not optional.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1535 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »

Changing the mirrors is optional, uprating performance is optional.  Fixing a bad tank is not optional.

+1

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
arai_speed
« Reply #1536 on: June 14, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »

LOL - some of you need to go out for a ride! Or you can just go into the garage and be angry at your deforming tank that DNA is "working" to fix.

Life is too short to get angry over such nuances.  I said f-it and moved on.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1537 on: June 14, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »

LOL - some of you need to go out for a ride! Or you can just go into the garage and be angry at your deforming tank that DNA is "working" to fix.

no you didn't.  you said something else and posted here a bunch of times.

the point is, if you want to say make the beast with two backs it, that's your choice, and that's fine.  but you're pretty much alone in thinking this is a small issue -- some people would like to keep their bikes for a long time (I still have my 2nd bike I bought in 1987, the 4th bike I bought in 1989, as well as some others...).  I like my little monster, I'd like to know that 10 years from now I don't have to worry about the tank expanding.  Rust, I can deal with, metal tanks can be weld and coated, but Nylon cannot be repaired.

arai_speed
« Reply #1538 on: June 14, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »

I'm confused.  I didn't move on because I checked in on this post and replied to some of the comment that were made?

How many post do I have on this thread since it was created back in June 2009?

I also like my bike dude, that's why I had it coated! So that in 10..heck 2 years I don't have to worry about my tank expanding.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1539 on: June 14, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »

I understand your POV, I am saying that many people are still trying to grasp why Ducati would put a defective tank on their bikes and why they are not doing something more final -- something that solves the issue once and for all.

And there is somewhat of a sting when one has to do remedial work on what is essentially an unmodified part of the bike -- just like hillbilly said above, it's like buying a new bike and then having to get the frame straightened (although not as expensive...)

hillbillypolack

« Reply #1540 on: June 14, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »

Ducati is 'working' to fix this issue?  That's news to me.  They are replacing tanks with the same polymer (and in my case the replacement tank looked like @ss).  Tell me how that's 'working' and not just going through the motions.

'Working' is getting off your @ss, actively communicating with your end customer (us) via email, mail or posting on the Internet, then running a new set of tanks that won't be affected by ethanol and getting them on to the bikes with as little headache for the owners.

It's also not fighting a lawsuit that essentially points out your shortsightedness and negligence.

To date I have learned about the issue via internet (not through direct communication channels from Ducati as is normal for safety related problems in the transportation industry) and had a replacement tank that makes it feel like I was being given the finger by the Company.  It looks like it was painted with a roller in some areas and hand finished with Scotch Brite on lower surfaces.  It has a dip near the filler neck from mismatched tooling when it was made.  Nice.  Now I remember why I really really wanted a Ducati. . . .

http://sonar.smugmug.com/Other/S2R-tank-replacement/15464222_AqnAd#1157792808_jErNW

So, like Ducatiz above, I got a new S2R 1000, which I planned on having for a number of years (I also have an M900 thus I was adding to my 'collection'), and despite vigilant maintenance and dealer servicing this is the kind of service I get from the Company.  Oh did I also mention that when I picked up the tank from the dealer, some gasoline ran out of it and onto the counter top??

And I just 'deal with it'?  What color is the sky in your world?  This is getting the shaft from the company because our only other option is to have one made for us through a third party for over 2k.

Layer in the fact that I have a 9 month old son and you might be able to see that I have a lot more pressing things to do than screw with a gas tank.  When I get the time, I'd like to enjoy that 70 degree sunny day riding and not puttering around in the garage fixing what I didn't break.

Because after I get back from that ride, I'd like to spend some time with my son.

Oh, did I mention that I also have two BMWs?  Guess which bikes AREN'T giving me problems?

And guess which dealer I'll likely visit when it's time for that next bike?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:33:25 PM by hillbillypolack » Logged
poseur

« Reply #1541 on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »

Oh, did I mention that I also have two BMWs?  Guess which bikes AREN'T giving me problems?

And guess which dealer I'll likely visit when it's time for that next bike?

Thank you for your post. Now let's hear from Ducati. If they don't do the right thing, they won't be getting another penny from me either. I know that adding ethanol to our fuel was more political than anything, but Ducati needs to show that they care about their customers and help get this all sorted out.
wantingaduc

Excuse me Sir, your bike is smokin.

« Reply #1542 on: June 16, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »

Actually the Caswell coating peeling inside the tank is not BS.
I had my 2nd tank replaced recently and while it was at the shop I had them coat it too.
When I went to pick it up I opened the gas cap and the coating was soft and peeling.
The service manager said that the coating had dried completly solid and surmised that the fuel has somewho interacted with the coating to soften it.
You can actually reach inside the tank and pull out small sections of the coating.
He said he would contact Caswell to see if they had experienced this problem before.
I'm still waiting to hear back from them as to what we should or can do next...

Jimi

I know what ruined America, the fu@k*ng Americans !!!
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1543 on: June 16, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »

Actually the Caswell coating peeling inside the tank is not BS...You can actually reach inside the tank and pull out small sections of the coating.
He said he would contact Caswell to see if they had experienced this problem before.
I'm still waiting to hear back from them as to what we should or can do next...

Argh!...Please keep us posted...Do you know if the dealer washed the inside of the tank pre-coating with Caswell?  The OEM tanks supposedly use some kind of mold release oil.

Would suck to have wasted $$ on Caswell.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1544 on: June 16, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »

Argh!...Please keep us posted...Do you know if the dealer washed the inside of the tank pre-coating with Caswell?  The OEM tanks supposedly use some kind of mold release oil.

Would suck to have wasted $$ on Caswell.
It doesn't make sense that there would be mold release inside...to me anyway.  Huh?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: