Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 12:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699691 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1590 on: June 29, 2011, 03:47:25 AM »

With the pending July 22nd decision regarding the Ducati case, is it still a good idea to get the tank looked at by a dealer now?  Mine is not noticeable but it is a pain to latch/unlatch the tank.  Also, the top triple tree hits the tank when I move it to the "lock" position.

There is no pending decision.  At this point, there is only pre trial motions.  July 22 is a motion hearing, Ducati has asked that the case be dismissed (it probably won't) or alternatively that the class not be certified (also probably won't go).

A "decision" is not coming any time soon.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Betlog

« Reply #1591 on: June 29, 2011, 05:40:56 AM »

Oh ok, thanks.  I'll go ahead and get my tank looked at then. 
Africaboy

« Reply #1592 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:27 AM »

I have procrastinated about getting my tank looked at. I finally took it back to the dealer yesterday. Guy at the service counter fills in  the paperwork and I ask if he's going to take some photos. One of the tank pads that rest on the frame is a good 1/2" off. He tells me its a known problem and he will submit the claim. Then the mechanic come out and tells me he can re-align the tank. He goes outside has a look and tells me he tank expanded because the vent hose had a slight kink. At this point I was fuming and he again mentioned he could re-align the tank. I told them, the tank has expanded and I wasn't interested in re-aligning it. I will now patiently wait for a week and then its war. Any other expanded tanks in Canada?
rac3r

« Reply #1593 on: June 29, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

Thumbs up for Ducati UK they agreed to sort it for me waytogo

If we/they are not careful it could be the end of Ducati and none of us want that so I hope they find a solution soon
Raux
« Reply #1594 on: June 29, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »

There is no pending decision.  At this point, there is only pre trial motions.  July 22 is a motion hearing, Ducati has asked that the case be dismissed (it probably won't) or alternatively that the class not be certified (also probably won't go).

A "decision" is not coming any time soon.

I just read in the latest Road and Track that some marine equipment manufacturers are suing the ethonal industry as a result of damage to their equipment.
Wonder if the Marine fuel tanks and other parts are having the same issues and causing customers to react the same way.
rac3r

« Reply #1595 on: June 29, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »

Not long before we have people marching down the streets with anti Ethanol banners  laughingdp
Raux
« Reply #1596 on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »

i think the same article has said that since the mandate for E15, the price of corn has doubled. Sunday BBQ's will soon have corn on the cob more expensive than the steaks.
rac3r

« Reply #1597 on: June 29, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »

Any chance you could scan the article or link?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1598 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »

i think the same article has said that since the mandate for E15, the price of corn has doubled. Sunday BBQ's will soon have corn on the cob more expensive than the steaks.

What mandate for E15?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Raux
« Reply #1599 on: June 29, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »

sorry, coming mandate as the industry expects to pull off to meet congressional goals

http://www.ethanol.org/magazine/index.php?id=115&parentid=110
rac3r

« Reply #1600 on: June 29, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »

Is this a mandate for E15?

No. The waiver is not a mandate for E15, just an allowance for up to 15 percent ethanol to be used in gasoline where desired
Raux
« Reply #1601 on: June 29, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »

give it time...
you can't just shove it it without letting it sit there for a bit at the opening  Evil
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1602 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »

give it time...
you can't just shove it it without letting it sit there for a bit at the opening  Evil

LOL

Bishamon

« Reply #1603 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:24 AM »

I just read in the latest Road and Track that some marine equipment manufacturers are suing the ethonal industry as a result of damage to their equipment.
Wonder if the Marine fuel tanks and other parts are having the same issues and causing customers to react the same way.

It's worse in the marine industry, as I understand it.  First, ethanol dissolves the resins used in fiberglass which not only seriously weakens the gas tanks, but the resin then gums up the rest of the fuel system.  Next, most boats are kept close to water (duh), and ethanol's hygroscopic nature in high humidity environment means it absorbs water more quickly, which in turn causes the ethanol and water to separate out of the gas more quickly, which in turn causes the octane rating to drop.  

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) Sad
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1604 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »

It's worse in the marine industry, as I understand it.  First, ethanol dissolves the resins used in fiberglass which not only seriously weakens the gas tanks, but the resin then gums up the rest of the fuel system.  Next, most boats are kept close to water (duh), and ethanol's hygroscopic nature in high humidity environment means it absorbs water more quickly, which in turn causes the ethanol and water to separate out of the gas more quickly, which in turn causes the octane rating to drop.  

the issues are totally different for the marine industry -- it's the ethanol/fibreglass problem for them.  ethanol dissolves the layup resins used in fibreglass.   the water/ethanol issue is a performance problem, but if all boats had aluminum or steel tanks, it wouldn't matter.. same with us I guess...

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: