Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:39:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695360 times)
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1605 on: June 29, 2011, 08:01:43 PM »

Progress report. Had my bike up the shop on June 18th for photos, measurements and analysis. Service manager stated that in his experience, my tank was a good candidate for replacement. They started the good will claim, and mentioned epoxy coating as a "customer pay" service for the new tank.

Heard back yesterday, June 29th, that my tank will indeed be replaced. When the dealer is made aware of shipment, they will schedule a service appt. to install the tank. There was no suggestion or guess of the arrival date of the replacement tank.

I'll post up in the future with more updates as a frame of reference of ONE person's experience.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Bishamon

« Reply #1606 on: June 30, 2011, 05:35:40 AM »

the issues are totally different for the marine industry -- it's the ethanol/fibreglass problem for them.  ethanol dissolves the layup resins used in fibreglass.   the water/ethanol issue is a performance problem, but if all boats had aluminum or steel tanks, it wouldn't matter.. same with us I guess...

Ethanol is a problem with steel tanks because once the water begins to separate it causes the tanks to rust.  Ethanol is also corrosive to aluminum, though 10% should be relatively safe.

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) Sad
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1607 on: June 30, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »

Sooo...  It attacks the resin that holds things together in fiberglass as well eh?  How would this impact the cell that ETI makes?

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1608 on: June 30, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »

Sooo...  It attacks the resin that holds things together in fiberglass as well eh?  How would this impact the cell that ETI makes?
The eti products should be using epoxy as opposed to polyester resins.

If the caswell product resists the ethanol it would be logical to assume it's the epoxy that is ethanol resistant

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1609 on: June 30, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »

The eti products should be using epoxy as opposed to polyester resins.

If the caswell product resists the ethanol it would be logical to assume it's the epoxy that is ethanol resistant

there are plenty of ethanol resistant epoxies around too

this company sells an E85 resistant epoxy http://www.resinlab.com/E85/e85index.html

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
OneWheelDrive

« Reply #1610 on: July 05, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »

Just got word that my tank claim at GP Motorcycles in San Diego has been accepted and to expect my freshy tank in a month or so.  Great news for me as it is badly warped and swollen.  Also, the PO put some nice zipper scratches in the tank as well as some nicks from a big keychain by the ignition.  Got my fingers crossed!  The question is, should I have them line the tank when it's installed?  There is no Ethenol-free gas around me so I don't want this to happen again!

2005 Vespa LX150 --> 1971 CB500 --> 1978 CB750 Cafe --> 1973 CB550 Racer --> 2007 S4RS: IL MONSTRO!
Betlog

« Reply #1611 on: July 05, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »

OneWheelDrive, did they give you the option to coat at GP?  If so, how much?
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1612 on: July 05, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »

AMA is trying to get support rallying behind a bill prohibiting the Administrator of the EPA from authorizing the use of gasoline containing greater than 10 percent ethanol in certain vehicles.  Please go through this site and show your support.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=51059636&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
OneWheelDrive

« Reply #1613 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »

Spoke with the head tech today, and said there is no reason to coat the tank.  Could cause more trouble than it would fix.  A coated tank cannot be warrantied but if it warps again left unmolested, you just get a new one.

2005 Vespa LX150 --> 1971 CB500 --> 1978 CB750 Cafe --> 1973 CB550 Racer --> 2007 S4RS: IL MONSTRO!
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1614 on: July 05, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »

Spoke with the head tech today, and said there is no reason to coat the tank.  Could cause more trouble than it would fix.  A coated tank cannot be warrantied but if it warps again left unmolested, you just get a new one.
I don't know if we spoke to the same guy, but I was told the same thing by the GP Motorcycles service manager in November of 2010 when my first tank was being replaced. I spoke with the same guy about two weeks ago to tell him that my new tank was beginning to swell, and he said, "Some of our customers are having the new tanks coated."

He didn't directly advise me to coat my next tank, but he certainly suggested it. GP motorcycles should get together and stay consistent with their message to the customers.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1615 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »

GP motorcycles should get together and stay consistent with their message to the customers.

they don't know any more than anyone else -- the coating thing has only become a "sure" thing in the last year(ish) and plenty of people are out of the loop as far as following those who have had it done to know it is working.

so far, i've only heard one horror story (in this thread) about the coating from Caswell's peeling.  they didn't do it themselves, so i might even question whether it was Caswell's that was used given the many many success stories about it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1616 on: July 05, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »

they don't know any more than anyone else -- the coating thing has only become a "sure" thing in the last year(ish) and plenty of people are out of the loop as far as following those who have had it done to know it is working.

so far, i've only heard one horror story (in this thread) about the coating from Caswell's peeling.  they didn't do it themselves, so i might even question whether it was Caswell's that was used given the many many success stories about it.
If they (GP) don't know, they should make it their business to know. It's like the doctor telling me I need my tonsils removed, but I stop by in a month and he says my tonsils are fine.  Huh? Huh?

I'd probably change doctors.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1617 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »

If they (GP) don't know, they should make it their business to know. It's like the doctor telling me I need my tonsils removed, but I stop by in a month and he says my tonsils are fine.  Huh? Huh?

I'd probably change doctors.

I agree, but from what I've seen over the last two years that I have tracked this issue, they are about the same as everyone else.

The variations are the dealers who force you to leave your bike until the tank comes in or make you pay a deposit for the replacement tank in case Ducati doesn't approve the replacement.  Those are the dogs. 

Yours is just average for the course.  They are in the dark as much as every other dealer on this issue.

You'd switch doctors and get the same or worse.

OneWheelDrive

« Reply #1618 on: July 05, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »

I have absolutely nothing to complain about yet.  Obviously I don't want to have to get more than one tank, but lets just see if everything goes smoothly before I join the ranks of the disappointed.  When I bought the bike (that the sales guy found for me) they inspected it for free, and suggested they warranty the tank, took and submitted the photos, and two days later gave me an update that it was in process.  From what I've read, that's better than most.

Betlog

« Reply #1619 on: July 05, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »

Any folks here have experience with warranty tank claims through Ducati Newport Beach?  (sorry, I hope I'm not thread jacking).
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: