Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:42:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695261 times)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1695 on: August 02, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »

I agree with you. 

But. . . . in both cases, there have not been injuries.  Why the double standard for automakers sending out recall notifications, and there were none in Ducati's situation?

You mean like the Ford Pintos or Crown Vic Interceptors?  In both cases Ford was forced into a recall after people died.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1696 on: August 03, 2011, 04:08:30 AM »

You mean like the Ford Pintos or Crown Vic Interceptors?  In both cases Ford was forced into a recall after people died.

Iacocca lied, people died..

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Mike_D

« Reply #1697 on: August 20, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »

I was a little worried after almost three months but my local dealer called and said my claim for a new tank was approved and the tank was in so I drop the bike off on Wednesday for replacement.  I asked about getting the tank treated with Caswells but they said they have never done one and that DNA is replacing virtually all tanks no questions asked so why bother.  I said it seemed crazy to do it that way when a reasonable fix was a lot less costly, but they didn't seem too concerned. The service manager said they just replaced a tank on a sport 1000 that had 30,000 miles and was years out of warranty but DNA didn't blink an eye and just replaced it.  How can Ducati as a company continue to do this without suffering financial problems, especially in this economy?       

2008 S2R 1k.  Black.  Pazzo Levers, 14 t front sprocket, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, Cycle Cat Frame Sliders,  Oberon open clutch cover and gold/black EVR pressure plate, full Arrow exhaust with reflashed and mapped ECU, tail chop with gold Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals, Ohlins rear shock and Rizoma fluid reservoirs.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1698 on: August 20, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »

I was a little worried after almost three months but my local dealer called and said my claim for a new tank was approved and the tank was in so I drop the bike off on Wednesday for replacement.  I asked about getting the tank treated with Caswells but they said they have never done one and that DNA is replacing virtually all tanks no questions asked so why bother.  I said it seemed crazy to do it that way when a reasonable fix was a lot less costly, but they didn't seem too concerned. The service manager said they just replaced a tank on a sport 1000 that had 30,000 miles and was years out of warranty but DNA didn't blink an eye and just replaced it.  How can Ducati as a company continue to do this without suffering financial problems, especially in this economy?       
My guess is that Ducati gets reimbursed by the tank manufacturer; moreover, the tanks don't cost Ducati that much, especially when you compare the total cost of all replacement tanks to the potential cost of a lawsuit.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
Mike_D

« Reply #1699 on: August 20, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »

Maybe Acerbis should design a metal tank. . .

2008 S2R 1k.  Black.  Pazzo Levers, 14 t front sprocket, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, Cycle Cat Frame Sliders,  Oberon open clutch cover and gold/black EVR pressure plate, full Arrow exhaust with reflashed and mapped ECU, tail chop with gold Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals, Ohlins rear shock and Rizoma fluid reservoirs.
Scissors

« Reply #1700 on: August 22, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »

It's probably layered HDPE.  Not the same material.  HDPE has been in use for car gas tanks for a while probably around 10-15 years.
Yep : That is my point.   How could R/D engineers be that blind to not use materials that are available and proven to work for their project.  Instead use a material that is already a proven nightmare in the boating and other industries.  Odds are it was a production decision.  And Ducati is still using the same company. WOW!   Sounds like politicians are running the show.   cheeky

Impact grade HPDE vicat softening point:  167 - 264 °F
Impact grade PA6 vicat softening point:  212 - 437 °F

Impact grade HPDE deflection Temperature at 0.46 MPa (66 psi):  158 - 167 °F
Impact grade PA6 deflection Temperature at 0.46 MPa (66 psi):  113 - 410 °F

That's why--HDPE just can't deal with the same temperatures that PA6 can.  Automotive fuel tanks do not sit on top of hot engines, so they can utilize a wider range of plastics.

Additionally, automotive fuel tanks do use PA6, but are layered with various materials, so the PA6 is never exposed to the fuel, or to the outside elements.
Scissors

« Reply #1701 on: August 22, 2011, 06:51:49 AM »

The plastic tanks are not leaking.

Incorrect.  Mine was and I have video.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1702 on: August 22, 2011, 06:57:23 AM »

More progress. My dealer received my tank last week. Had my tank checked on June 18th, replacement was confirmed on June 29th, and I am now scheduled for installation on August 19th. About 2 months in process so far.

My dealer also SUGGESTED "ethanol-resistant" epoxy coating at about $175. They are going to do this ahead of time so the tank is ready to install on the 19th.

They stressed that epoxy coating isn't a Ducati-approved solution. They also stressed that they are unsure how willing Ducati will be to replace tanks in the years to come.

I'll post up pics after the install, but so far, so good.

Progress Update:
Tank was installed on schedule on Friday, August 19th. That's nearly exactly 2 months after the original inspection by the service manager. The tank itself looks great, no bad paint or anything. It fits perfect, like it did when I bought the bike. My dealer was even kind enough to reinstall my TechSpec knee pads. The Caswell coating cost me $185 out-of-pocket with the kit and labor. Is that steep? I don't really have a basis for judgement. $185 seems like a small price compared to the $1500–$2500 for the aluminum or CF tank that was my other option. All in all, pretty satisfied with the experience.

After all the smoothness, I'm willing to reveal that the guys at European Motorcycles in Wexford, PA (just outside of Pittsburgh) treated me great through the whole thing. Lee, the service manager, is great to work with and doesn't give you any run-around BS. If you're in the area and are experiencing issues, I suggest you give them a visit.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1703 on: August 22, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »

After all the smoothness, I'm willing to reveal that the guys at European Motorcycles in Wexford, PA (just outside of Pittsburgh) treated me great through the whole thing. Lee, the service manager, is great to work with and doesn't give you any run-around BS. If you're in the area and are experiencing issues, I suggest you give them a visit.

I have heard prices for coatings running around $200 so that's about right.

The kit costs $50 for a single shot, and figure 1 hour of labor getting the tank off and on, probably 1 hour for prep and coating time and then reinstall. 

Dealer prices for bulk coating probably are a LOT cheaper as they could buy it in bulk and only use the amount needed.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1704 on: August 22, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »

If I would have known about the hassle of coating it myself, I would have gladly paid $185.00 to have it done.  You did the "Good call" ..............

Progress Update:
Tank was installed on schedule on Friday, August 19th. That's nearly exactly 2 months after the original inspection by the service manager. The tank itself looks great, no bad paint or anything. It fits perfect, like it did when I bought the bike. My dealer was even kind enough to reinstall my TechSpec knee pads. The Caswell coating cost me $185 out-of-pocket with the kit and labor. Is that steep? I don't really have a basis for judgement. $185 seems like a small price compared to the $1500–$2500 for the aluminum or CF tank that was my other option. All in all, pretty satisfied with the experience.

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1705 on: August 22, 2011, 04:32:30 PM »

If I would have known about the hassle of coating it myself, I would have gladly paid $185.00 to have it done.  You did the "Good call" ..............

Yea I had figured on that. Not to mention I'd be doing it for the first time, whereas these guys had done it at least a couple times already...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1706 on: August 22, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »

i dunno... i liked doing it for myself because i know exactly what happened.  a few pages back there was a guy who did it at the dealer and it seems like the dealer didnt mix it correctly and it was flaking off.

even though the dealer's done it a lot more times, doesnt mean they're not going to screw it up Sad

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #1707 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »

Incorrect.  Mine was and I have video.

Agreed. Mine did and I almost caught on fire from leaking fuel onto the vertical header pipe. There is no way to precisely predict how a big piece of plastic is going to deform under these circumstances. Some tanks will leak fuel, others won't. They will all deform somehow.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Ak1nza

« Reply #1708 on: August 23, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »

I had my tank replaced under warranty and the process took me 2 weeks.  A couple days for approval and then the bike was brought to the shop early in the week, tank ordered and overnighted in a few days and coated as soon as they received it.  I picked the bike up the following weekend so I didn't have my bike for all of one weekend. 

Had them Caswell coat for me for $250 and it's been nearly 2 months and looking good!  Dealer also said they had done tens of tanks and none of them are seeing any expansion issues after the coating, so sounds promising!  I was amazed at how much the tank had expanded as I bought the bike used.  Prior to replacement my top triple would just hit the tank on left side.  So it expanded 1-2" front to back.  Rubber frame mounts were sitting about .5"-1" off so it was about 1-2" wider too.  Nuts!

-----------------------------------
2006 S2R800 Dark - SOLD
2007 S4RS
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1709 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »

i dunno... i liked doing it for myself because i know exactly what happened.  a few pages back there was a guy who did it at the dealer and it seems like the dealer didnt mix it correctly and it was flaking off.

even though the dealer's done it a lot more times, doesnt mean they're not going to screw it up Sad

I wonder if a dealer does the Caswell, will that put the reliablility in thier hands.  Actually I am suprised dealers are doing it being the pain that it is and the fact that they should now be liable for the caswell working.  On second thought  you are right, I am glad I coated mine myself.......

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: