Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 12:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695391 times)
scduc

« Reply #1755 on: August 29, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »

So then if this passes, we owners have to hope and pray that within the 6 year period, that our tanks have a big enough problem to be replaced. then wait until the last moment. Hopefully our dealers will allow us to take the tank with no fuel (virgin) then its our responsibilty to get it coated and once again pray that it works. I plan on keeping my bike for many years to come.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1756 on: August 29, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »

Okay, but what about 2012 bikes?  Or 2013 bikes?  Are they just gonna go with a 6 year time limit on all tanks from now on?

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

hillbillypolack

« Reply #1757 on: August 29, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »

Same type of process for bikes.  SHED testing, crash testing, etc.  They have to do it for each model.

You mean 'sled' testing?  That's mandatory for all automotive interior components, and does use a collision runner, (a 'sled') to emulate 25g forward force, 10g rearward and varying lateral forces.  It anchors all hardware points and measurements are taken afterward to record any deformation.  For this reason, seat sets (driver and passenger frames especially) and seat track hardware is nearly never changed.

If there is similar validation, securing hard points (axles, head tube, and downward forces on footpegs) then yes, it would be quite a process.  Though I don't know the expense or requirements for a gas tank with identical dimensions made from slightly different polymers.   
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1758 on: August 29, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »

No I meant SHED testing that the EPA does to test how much vapor escapes when the tank is in use.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1759 on: August 29, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »

No I meant SHED testing that the EPA does to test how much vapor escapes when the tank is in use.

Interesting.  Id be curious to know the collection (complete physical, chemical, and durability) of tests that are run to get a tank certified.  If Ducati had trouble merely changing the polymer, it would help explain why they didn't go that route.  And what it would have/could have cost them.
jmc

« Reply #1760 on: September 11, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »

I just signed up and filed the NHSTA form.

My 2007 S2R1000 tank is warped and corroding near the gas cap.

Here's one photo of the corrosion:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zQUYRujGZrX4KZPlN26vSw?feat=directlink

Here's one of some weird stuff that looks like mildew coming out of the space between the cap and tank (could this be from evaporating gasoline?):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/px2YFzUw3mUq6HX6men_nA?feat=directlink

Here's a photo of how much the gas cap has moved because of the corrosion underneath (you can see the mildew in this one too):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/x83RQ4ILqob-yi47KA78cw?feat=directlink
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1761 on: September 14, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »

Regardless if you get a replacement tank or not, you will have to use the same filler neck parts on your new tank.  Though I can't tell exactly what that scaly stuff is, I'd guess it's just dirt and road grime mixed with some fuel that sloshed up and into that filler neck region.  The offset in your gas cap surround may be due to the tank itself instead of any mildew.  Mildew generally won't grow in a chemical environment like a gas tank.  Unless it's very very humid and still in your garage.

On my 'new' tank, one side fits the seat really nicely, and the other side is 3/8 of an inch different.  So you may hear the phrase 'they're all like that'.   Roll Eyes
Artful
I'm glad they make pills for my

« Reply #1762 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:37 AM »

Regardless if you get a replacement tank or not, you will have to use the same filler neck parts on your new tank.  Though I can't tell exactly what that scaly stuff is, I'd guess it's just dirt and road grime mixed with some fuel that sloshed up and into that filler neck region.  The offset in your gas cap surround may be due to the tank itself instead of any mildew.  Mildew generally won't grow in a chemical environment like a gas tank.  Unless it's very very humid and still in your garage.

On my 'new' tank, one side fits the seat really nicely, and the other side is 3/8 of an inch different.  So you may hear the phrase 'they're all like that'.   Roll Eyes

When my tank was replaced it had the same scale as pictured above. It isn't mildew but actually corrosion to the metal around the filler neck. The replacement tank included the affected portion and resolved the issue.

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1763 on: September 15, 2011, 02:07:39 PM »

weird that it is corroding like that.   My ye olde (and crazy heavy by comparison) two steel m900 tanks and one steel 888 tank do not show similar corrosion, though I've only run ethanol-y fuel in only one of those bikes, unrelated coincidence is likely.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1764 on: September 15, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »

weird that it is corroding like that.   My ye olde (and crazy heavy by comparison) two steel m900 tanks and one steel 888 tank do not show similar corrosion, though I've only run ethanol-y fuel in only one of those bikes, unrelated coincidence is likely.
The fuel opening area on the plastic tanks are galvanized, not painted like the steel tanks.

I've seen some powdery residue on them before.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1765 on: September 15, 2011, 02:25:53 PM »

VEEEERRY interesting. speaking of steel tanks, you done an 888 tank before? i'd really like to figure out which giant openings go to what, since the one I've got is bare right now, and sitting on a modified m900 frame for being built into a montrackster.  for a different thread i figure.

bikepilot

« Reply #1766 on: September 15, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »

The wife's 620 is corroding like that as well. I need to take it in for a tank replacement sometime soon.

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1767 on: September 15, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »

VEEEERRY interesting. speaking of steel tanks, you done an 888 tank before? i'd really like to figure out which giant openings go to what, since the one I've got is bare right now, and sitting on a modified m900 frame for being built into a montrackster.  for a different thread i figure.
I have one in my shop now.

pm me

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

OneWheelDrive

« Reply #1768 on: September 23, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »

Brand new tank installed on my '07 S4RS in an hour at GP Motorcycles in San Diego.  Took about 2 months start to finish.  Hats off to Jesse and the crew over there for taking great care of me and my bike!

2005 Vespa LX150 --> 1971 CB500 --> 1978 CB750 Cafe --> 1973 CB550 Racer --> 2007 S4RS: IL MONSTRO!
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1769 on: September 23, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »

Brand new tank installed on my '07 S4RS in an hour at GP Motorcycles in San Diego.  Took about 2 months start to finish.  Hats off to Jesse and the crew over there for taking great care of me and my bike!

Did they do the coating for you?

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: