Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:43:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695261 times)
WetDuc
AKA iamhybris

« Reply #1785 on: October 04, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »

Yes, once a year (about) I plan to have it replaced.   I live 2 miles from the dealer and it involves one phone call then a 1hr visit. $0. Not really a pain in my case. 

2007 S2R1000, 2009 M696 & 2008 M695 (foster bikes)
JimmyTheDriver

« Reply #1786 on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:20 AM »

2007 S4R

My third tank just arrived at the dealer.  Guess they do replace it more than once.  The shop agreed to let me come get the tank and leave my bike to coat it.  I just want to be done.

-Jimmy
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1787 on: October 14, 2011, 08:19:46 AM »

They are letting you take the new tank home to coat before installign it?

That's a very cool thing to do.  Who is the dealer?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1788 on: October 14, 2011, 09:00:04 AM »

My dealer just let me take the tank. I think he knew I was fed up with his B.S.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #1789 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »

dealer STILL has my bike, tank isn't here yet.  So pissed I could have been riding the last 7 weeks and enjoying the weather.

No MTS1200 purchase from those guys....

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1790 on: October 14, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »

Colemans in Woodbridge said they were ok with me doing this with the tank they've ordered for me.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #1791 on: October 14, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »

Mine on backorder too.

2007 red S4Rs
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1792 on: October 14, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »

What am I missing here?  Doesn't any one see anything wrong with wasting Ducati tanks five or six times instead of getting one tank and coating it.  Being done with it.  Maybe I am thinking backwards but why waste the tanks even if it is easy and no problem.  Twelve hundred dollars a tank time five is how much??  I got a replacement, coated it and forgot about it.  Obviously Ducati screwed up but why keep making them pay.  A bit of loyalty might be in order?

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1793 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:35 PM »

A bit of loyalty might be in order?

Good luck winning hearts with that sentiment in this thread. 

Besides, I really doubt that Ducati is coughing up the money for these tanks.  I'd imagine that they're sticking the cost to Acerbis.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1794 on: October 14, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »

Loyalty?

I'm waiting to hear what happens when someone's coating job fails and wants a new tank from Ducati.

Besides, I paid a premium price for my Italian bike.  My relationship with Ducati is one of business.  I'm not married to the company.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Curmudgeon

« Reply #1795 on: October 14, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »

Besides, I really doubt that Ducati is coughing up the money for these tanks.  I'd imagine that they're sticking the cost to Acerbis.

Mostly correct, depending on Ducati's contract with Acerbis. Ducati still bears the cost of administration.

At least in the auto industry, manufacturers buy parts from suppliers based on a quality/failure rate. 10 failures/1000 units is very expensive, 20/1000 is premium. 50/1000 is an average. The lower the failure rate, the greater the cost. Then the manufacturer has a warranty agreement with the supplier which could be probably at best replacement cost and as little as 20%. All that is figured into the price of the part.

Sometimes this cost cutting thing gets absurd. I knew one case (no names) where a manufacturer saved $20 on a power steering pump on a very premium vehicle. When the pump seized, it threw the single belt, usually resulting in meltdown because the idiot owners continued to drive with the red light flashing and the displays going crazy. THAT was an expensive $20 savings. The power steering pump manufacturer did not buy new engines.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1796 on: October 14, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »

What am I missing here?  Doesn't any one see anything wrong with wasting Ducati tanks five or six times instead of getting one tank and coating it.  Being done with it.  Maybe I am thinking backwards but why waste the tanks even if it is easy and no problem.  Twelve hundred dollars a tank time five is how much??  I got a replacement, coated it and forgot about it.  Obviously Ducati screwed up but why keep making them pay.  A bit of loyalty might be in order?

I agree but not for loyalty reasons - for my own time-savings and enjoyment. I don't want the hassle of doing it more than once if there is a solution like me coating it.

The premium for an Italian bike is found in the limited production numbers, Italian styling, Brembo brakes, wonderful desmo motors, and watching them stick it to the big 4 on track worldwide. I didn't pay a premium for some mechanically impeccable contraption. There are other brands that deliver that, and they look like hell, generally.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1797 on: October 15, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »

I didn't pay a premium for some mechanically impeccable contraption. There are other brands that deliver that, and they look like hell, generally.

Not all BMWs have been stone-like reliable. Just saying.

Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1798 on: October 15, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »

Does anybody know if the 2011 Ducatis will have the same problem tanks?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1799 on: October 15, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »

Good luck winning hearts with that sentiment in this thread. 

Winning hearts is a stretch of the imagination, I was thinking more about waste.  Five tanks is a waste no matter who pays for it.    And yea, I quess I am loyal to Ducati with a lot of pride.  I like my bike and everything that goes with it and would not trade for two of anything else even with a bad tank!   Grin

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: