Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:41:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695365 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #1830 on: October 17, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »

I thought the plastic tanks actualy weigh more.

one thing that can screw up the analysis is whether or not the tank is fuel injected or carbed - a steel tank for a carbed bike, which has only the hose-barbs on the bottom will look appealing when compared to a plastic or steel tank with all of the internal appliances - fuel pump, filter, hoses, etc.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1831 on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »

I have a 06 M620 with 21k on it. Cliff's BMW / Ducati in CT took photos a year ago and then when I called to follow up to see if Ducati would replace my tank they said they no longer carry Ducati Sad

I then emailed Rockwell in NY this spring to see if they would send photos but I never heard back. I should have called.

Is there any chance that I could get a replacement at this point and does anyone have any ideas I how to get a dealer to help me out and send photos in?

I had kind of just decided I was going to live with it but figured I would throw a post up to see if I had any other options.

Go see Nick at Rockwell's in person.  Bring your bike.
mjk778

« Reply #1832 on: October 17, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »

+1, Rockwell replaced my tank in 2 weeks from the time they snapped the pics.  Bring the bike there and speak to nick.  They also coat the tanks there. 
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1833 on: October 18, 2011, 05:45:22 AM »

+2 on Rockwell.  I was the test monkey for them on the Caswell.  Replacement tank still looking good w/out any swelling.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1834 on: October 18, 2011, 06:55:34 AM »

+2 on Rockwell.  I was the test monkey for them on the Caswell.  Replacement tank still looking good w/out any swelling.

how long ago was that?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #1835 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »

+1 on interested in how long its been holding up - that's good news, to be sure.

GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #1836 on: October 18, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »

Rockwell is my plan this winter.

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
dlowenst

« Reply #1837 on: October 18, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »

I could use some advice from the collected wisdom.

My dealer called last week to let me know that my replacement tank ('06 S2R1K) had finally arrived (8-week wait).  I asked if they could 1) coat it for me, or 2) send it out to a recommended third-party vendor for coating, or 3) allow me to coat it myself, before they install it and fill the tank with fuel.  The answer that came back was "no" to options 1 & 3, and "yes" to option 2 (but only if I find/identify the coating vendor & pay for S&H both ways, and forfeit any future warranty claims on the new tank for swelling or anything else, because DNA does not authorize coating as an approved process).  The dealer indicated that they are required to fill the tank with fuel and run the bike before they can get paid by DNA for the warranty work.

With the above in mind, I see the following approaches available to me:

A) Have the dealer install the new tank and leave it uncoated, thus risking another episode of tank swelling but preserving my ability to get future warranty tank work/free replacements.  As I read the proposed settlement, based on the fact that my bike is nearing the age limit for which free replacement would be guaranteed, and that it took 3+ years for swelling to first appear on mine, I think it's unlikely that I'd be eligible for another free replacement unless it occurs purely on the basis of goodwill after the age limit has been exceeded.

B) Have the dealer send it out for coating, and accept the loss of future warranty coverage.  If I go this route, I could use some recommendations.

C) Have the dealer install the new tank, then remove and coat it myself.  The biggest downside I can think of to this approach is that I suspect that coating will have a higher probability of success if performed on a new tank as opposed to one that's already been exposed to fuel.  Plus I'd prefer not to do this job myself if I don't have to.

Suggestions?

Dave

Dave in DC: 67 Jaguar E-Type OTS S1/71 Ford F-100 Styleside/79 Triumph T140E Bonneville/15 BMW R1200GS/13 KTM 300 XC-W/04 Yamaha TT-R250/04 & 05 Honda CRF 250X/Keeping parts guys in business nationwide
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #1838 on: October 18, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »

i would want to know more about why they believe coating would forfeit future warranty claims - common sense & i disagree that it would forfeit future warranty claims for swelling - such an occurrence would show the coating was ineffective, only forfeiting warranty where it could be shown that the coating was the cause of the swelling.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1839 on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »

You've altered the tank from its original designed state.  Any manufacturer could/would deny a warranty claim on an item that you have altered.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
dlowenst

« Reply #1840 on: October 18, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »

Exactly.  My dealer says DNA has told them that coating the tank voids the warranty for tank-related issues.

Dave

You've altered the tank from its original designed state.  Any manufacturer could/would deny a warranty claim on an item that you have altered.

Dave in DC: 67 Jaguar E-Type OTS S1/71 Ford F-100 Styleside/79 Triumph T140E Bonneville/15 BMW R1200GS/13 KTM 300 XC-W/04 Yamaha TT-R250/04 & 05 Honda CRF 250X/Keeping parts guys in business nationwide
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1841 on: October 18, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »

I can make the legal argument that coating a tank is no different from painting a car especially when it involves a well known problem with the tank material.  The manufacturer must prove - not just assert- that the modification is the CAUSE of the failure.  No coating would cause this failure.

I know some good dealers but none of them know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to warranty laws.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:59:22 PM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1842 on: October 18, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »

Exactly.  My dealer says DNA has told them that coating the tank voids the warranty for tank-related issues.

Dave

Don't tell them. I've never heard of them checking. All they do is a exterior visual inspection for the warranty.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1843 on: October 18, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »

one thing that can screw up the analysis is whether or not the tank is fuel injected or carbed - a steel tank for a carbed bike, which has only the hose-barbs on the bottom will look appealing when compared to a plastic or steel tank with all of the internal appliances - fuel pump, filter, hoses, etc.

All that aside I believe the plastic tanks themselves weigh more than the steel.  Wink

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1844 on: October 18, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »

All that aside I believe the plastic tanks themselves weigh more than the steel.  Wink

Plastic tanks are about 2/3rds the weight of the metal ones

However since they have less capacity they weigh about the same per l

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: