Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:23:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695309 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1950 on: November 20, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »

put that into a legal argument and we can go somewhere.

i was reading the other day a thread a guy posted complaining the flat-earth theory doesn't get much attention.  anyone and their pet guinea can post on the web....

It's not a legal argument. It's just my opinion (worth somewhere between nothing and 2 cents)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1951 on: November 20, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »

It can and DOES.  All of the tanks shrink back when dried.  Drain the tank, let it sit in a humidity-free environment and it will shrink back after 1-2 months.

Alternatively, put a gallon of hot water in it and it will balloon overnight.

i actually do have one question about this though...

when it shrinks back, do the paint issues get better?  i figure it def wont be as it was when it was non inflated, but does it get better at all or is it just screwed for good?

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1952 on: November 20, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »

It can and DOES.  All of the tanks shrink back when dried.  Drain the tank, let it sit in a humidity-free environment and it will shrink back after 1-2 months.

Alternatively, put a gallon of hot water in it and it will balloon overnight.
Mine shrinks back in just five minutes after I finish or right before I go to sleep.  laughingdp

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1953 on: November 20, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »

i actually do have one question about this though...

when it shrinks back, do the paint issues get better?  i figure it def wont be as it was when it was non inflated, but does it get better at all or is it just screwed for good?

I have seen mixed results.  If you have cracks, the cracks remain. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #1954 on: November 21, 2011, 05:13:48 AM »

Mine shrinks back in just five minutes after I finish or right before I go to sleep.  laughingdp

like a frightened turtle!

jgrm1

« Reply #1955 on: November 22, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »

So, I visit the dealership that replaced my original tank to learn their position on replacing, coating with Caswell's, etc. in hopes of getting a (lined) third tank before it's too late.  I was told the window is closing because of the proposed class action settlement and that unless the front of my tank is making physical contact with the ignition switch, then Ducati will not approve a replacement.  Before, we all know Ducati would consider frame mounts, too. 

If I were to have a replacement approved, the dealership is contracting out the Caswell lining for $150-200. 

Finally, the dealer is about to start selling a product called K100 to add to each tank of gas.

-Jeff

P.S.  Is anyone formally protesting the settlement to the court?

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #1956 on: November 22, 2011, 03:42:23 PM »

I spoke with someone at Girard Gibbs yesterday and she told me that the courts should have reached a settlement by mid February pending any objections or appeals.

I haven't decided whether to "do nothing" or "comment or object", the woman I spoke to said that they would need enough people to object to the proposed settlement of just replacing the tanks in order to garner a different result. The downside to that, she said, is that if enough people object and the replacement settlement is not agreed upon because enough people want a better/different remedy (i.e. steel tanks) that the whole process could be drawn out indefinitely and there may be a possibility that Ducati may stop replacing tanks because of the lawsuit.

She also told me that there has been some testing going on with third party companies and that they have realized there is a saturation point with the tanks, meaning that the tanks will only absorb so much. A proposed remedy for that would be Ducati making a smaller tank as a replacement thus accommodating for the swelling and fit issues. She said the courts don't really care if the tanks look like shit just whether there are safety issues (i.e. fuel leaks). I would also assume a smaller tank would mean smaller fuel capacity which already isn't that great.

I would definitely have something to say about a smaller tank as a replacement but if I can get my hands on a regular sized tank and just coat it that would be fine by me.   Undecided

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1957 on: November 22, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »

just picked up the replacement tank today for the sf.  going to try out that kreem tank mask stuff.  i'll let you guys know if it's worth it or just stick with masking the hell out of it.

update:  it sucks.  it prob works but it takes 2-3 coats and take 15-30 min for each coat to dry.

in the end, masking it off is simpler and easier and does the same thing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:43:39 PM by thought » Logged

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
muskrat

« Reply #1958 on: November 22, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »

still no one has been confronted with the "you pay the labor" and we replace tank?

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1959 on: November 22, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

still no one has been confronted with the "you pay the labor" and we replace tank?

my dealer is doing everything under warranty, no labor charges at all.

pretty sure everyone else is the same or else there would have been a lot more posts about it

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #1960 on: November 22, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »

I have mixed feelings.  First I feel this problem belongs to the ethanol cartels for lobbying to sell a substandard fuel with the EPA being complicit by lying about its destructive properties.  Ducati -among others- just got left holding the bag.  Second I feel Ducati's sin was continuing to release new model bikes with nylon tanks for several years after they SHOULD have known better.  An 18 month extension on the warranty won't do me any good if Oklahoma starts mandating e-10 in 19 months.  I know I've got a tank with an expiration date on it but the timer won't start ticking until I move to another state or a bureaucrat signs a mandatory ethanol bill for Oklahoma.  I am going to ask to be excluded because I've got nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Desert Dust

« Reply #1961 on: November 22, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »

I don't know the legal precedence for this type of action, but I've thought about filing a small claims suit against Ducati. What would DNA do if they suddenly had to appear in 500 different counties across the US to settle various claims from different owners?

$5,000 is the limit for small claims in California

Any lawyers out there?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1962 on: November 22, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »

I don't know the legal precedence for this type of action, but I've thought about filing a small claims suit against Ducati. What would DNA do if they suddenly had to appear in 500 different counties across the US to settle various claims from different owners?

$5,000 is the limit for small claims in California

Any lawyers out there?

Lawyer here.

No small claims court I know of would allow that kind of suit.  Small claims is for return of property or contract breach (i.e. party D owes party P money).  There are a few other types of claims, but defective product and/or failure to honor warranty aren't one of them.

You might do better with a Lemon Law claim, but generally the remedy for a Lemon Law claim is the manufacturer has to buy your vehicle for estimated market price.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust

« Reply #1963 on: November 23, 2011, 06:47:35 AM »

Interesting-thanks

HotIce

« Reply #1964 on: November 23, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »

Any reports about Monster 1100 EVO tank issues?
Is this BS?

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/04/17-high-res-photos-of-the-ducati-monster-1100-evo/#more-16437

"Update: Ducati tell us the plastic fuel tanks on this new generation
Monster and the Diavel are now impervious to the deformation caused by
US fuel’s ethanol content which affected older models."
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: