Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 03:28:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699840 times)
Frisco

« Reply #2010 on: November 29, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »

The thing is, I like to ride, and not spending time at the dealership replacing tanks or filing for multiple claims.
Also, to go to my dealership I have to basically take a day off each time.

I agree 100% - I would rather ride than spend anytime at the dealer but then again I don't want to have a bike that in 18 months the resale drops off considerably just because Ducati didn't come up with a fix and instead just keeps putting band-aids on it until their 'negotiated' liability is done.

2007 S4RS
Frisco

« Reply #2011 on: November 29, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »

Well I spent this morning on the phone with the attorneys and two Ducati dealships here in the Dallas Metroplex (I won't badmouth anyone but if you email me I will tell you their names). One dealer wants to charge me $150 to get my tank replaced for labor costs that they claim Ducati is not reimbursing them for (though they have replaced other tanks in and out of warranty at no charge) - the other dealer says they will do it for free. The first dealer says Ducati is not paying for  labor now but they will have to once the class-action settlement is approved by the courts in Feb. (estimated time). The attorneys working on the class action suit says labor is included in the term 'replacement' and it will be at no cost to the bike owner. So my options today are 1) pay $150 for a new tank, 2) wait til the class action suit is settled and have the 1st dealer do it at no charge or 3) have the 2nd dealer (further away) do it now at no cost. I'm choosing option 3 obviously. When I presented my findings to the first dealer they said they are not going to lose money because Ducati has changed their tune and won't reimburse them for labor even though the 2nd dealer has comitted to doing it for no labor cost.
I'm still waiting to hear from Ducati who acknowledged my email last week and said 'someone will get back to me'. If they tell me that labor is to be covered now then I will be filing a formal complaint about the first dealer and I will post their name on here for all to see.

2007 S4RS
Frisco

« Reply #2012 on: November 29, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »

I just heard back from the attorney for the class action suit - they just got off the phone with Ducati who told them that labor is to be included with the replacement of all tanks - the consumer is NOT to be charged to have the tank replaced. I will be notifying Ducati Customer Service (the attorney was kind enough to give me a name and number) of the dealer who in my opinion (mind you this is my opinion) tried to rip me off and who knows who else they have charged for labor on something that Ducati is paying for.
Kudos to Ducati for stepping up on this even though a permanent fix would be much better -  boo boo to the dealer who is trying to make extra $$ - feel free to email me for the dealers name.

2007 S4RS
Frisco

« Reply #2013 on: November 29, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »

One last update - I just got off the phone with Ducati NA Cust.Svc. and they confirmed they pay the dealers the book rate for a tank replacement so no one should be being charged labor to replace their tanks provided the dealer has looked at it and gotten it approved for replacment. My replacement tank is being expeditied as I type to the dealer who was NOT going to charge me labor - they will be getting all my business going forward.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:37:26 PM by Frisco » Logged

2007 S4RS
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2014 on: November 30, 2011, 05:08:28 AM »

This thread is full of stories like this. Some dealers are misinformed and others simply don't want to deal with the situation. I was lucky that my local dealer not only took care of it, but also told me that it's expanding and that I should bring it back in for replacement.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Frisco

« Reply #2015 on: November 30, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »

That is exactly what happened here with me - the dealer had bad info from DNA - they have called to apologized and offered to make it right to retain my business - they are doing the right thing and replacing my tank this Sat.
All's well that ends well - now if we can get those metal replacement tanks from Ducati life will be grand!

2007 S4RS
mjk778

« Reply #2016 on: November 30, 2011, 05:33:06 PM »

- now if we can get those metal replacement tanks from Ducati life will be grand!
[/quote]

In the words of my favorite Aerosmith tune..."dream on, dream on, dream on"
Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« Reply #2017 on: December 03, 2011, 05:00:19 AM »

just this year i started to notice the tank latch becoming harder to operate as it was close to the ignition cover. i thought that maybe @ the last service the dealer may have done something while in for service. then i get this class action letter about tank expansion/distortion. i called razee's, the dealer where i purchased it last week, & brian, the service manager said bring it up & he would take pictures of it & send it to dna. he told me they had done about 10 tanks. 1098's, multi's & monster's. he said most affected were low mile bikes that sit with gas in them. he said no charge & ducati just replaces them. it takes a couple of weeks for a disposition from dna, so i wait.

"It will not go in deepr than it is long"

2016 M 1200 R, Vivid Black, Termignoni, Rapid Bike EVO, EVOTECH Engine/Cooler guards & Tail Tidy, Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors, Motodemic Adaptive LED Headlight, carbon fiber everywhere........ Kiss French/Ride Italian
convict
« Reply #2018 on: December 06, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »

For the better part of my life I have had the ducati dream and just this year my wife okay'd the second bike. I have been reading, analysing, testing and scrutinizing all and the monster wins. I have been making my notes, cross checking, pricing, eliminating, and back to dreaming.  It has come down to S2R vs bmw f800r vs triumph street triple vs fz 800 vs er 6n vs sv 650 vs 796.
Until now that is, I just learned of the tank issue. Trying not to be a goof here but this tank issue, I'm done. Why this post then you ask? To answer the question many of you are asking "who is going to buy our used bikes?. I was prepared to spend the cash, drive the four hours to the nearest dealer, pay the 35% more in servicing costs and 50% more in parts cost but cannot deal with ducati's overall lack of consideration for you all. I hope ducati management reads this and gets its act together.
HEY DUCATI !! I AM BUYING A TRIUMPH.
if any can assure me that ducati will continue to replace the tanks on a used ducati I might reconsider but otherwise I'm gone. Wish you all the best and maybe someone can start doing after market metal tanks. I just don't get it, after years and years of this how ducati thinks the solution is to blame the gas, the manufacturer, the owner. look for me on the triumph forums. Dolph
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2019 on: December 06, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »

For the better part of my life I have had the ducati dream and just this year my wife okay'd the second bike. I have been reading, analysing, testing and scrutinizing all and the monster wins. I have been making my notes, cross checking, pricing, eliminating, and back to dreaming.  It has come down to S2R vs bmw f800r vs triumph street triple vs fz 800 vs er 6n vs sv 650 vs 796.
Until now that is, I just learned of the tank issue. Trying not to be a goof here but this tank issue, I'm done. Why this post then you ask? To answer the question many of you are asking "who is going to buy our used bikes?. I was prepared to spend the cash, drive the four hours to the nearest dealer, pay the 35% more in servicing costs and 50% more in parts cost but cannot deal with ducati's overall lack of consideration for you all. I hope ducati management reads this and gets its act together.
if any can assure me that ducati will continue to replace the tanks on a used ducati I might reconsider but otherwise I'm gone. Wish you all the best and maybe someone can start doing after market metal tanks. I just don't get it, after years and years of this how ducati thinks the solution is to blame the gas, the manufacturer, the owner. look for me on the triumph forums. Dolph
Buh Bye. waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

justinrhenry
Super

weeeeee!!!

« Reply #2020 on: December 06, 2011, 05:58:43 PM »

I'd probably feel this way too if I were in the market for a bike.  Why would anyone in their right mind buy a bike with a potential problem like this?

But, it doesn't happen to all bikes.  I've had my streetfighter for 2 years and there's no sign of swelling. 

Triumphs are good bikes.  I've owned two and will probably own another one some day, but they don't really compare to Ducatis. 

_____
2013 Honda CB1100D
2006 Honda ST1300
2003 Ducati Monster 620ie
hillbillypolack

« Reply #2021 on: December 06, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »

I'd probably feel this way too if I were in the market for a bike.  Why would anyone in their right mind buy a bike with a potential problem like this?

But, it doesn't happen to all bikes.  I've had my streetfighter for 2 years and there's no sign of swelling.  

Triumphs are good bikes.  I've owned two and will probably own another one some day, but they don't really compare to Ducatis.  

I agree that it doesn't happen to all bikes.  But you need to be specific on 'why' Triumphs don't compare to Ducatis.  Personally I think they do, but with a 3-pot exhaust note and better fueling on the bottom end.

Its not Italian, it's English obviously but throw a leg over and it's fantastic.  Brakes, acceleration and riding position all suit me well.  The Speed Trip and Street Trip are engaging as is the 675 with that meaty midrange.

Ducatis are. . . well, different.  Booming L-twin, thumpy exhaust and we all know the rest.

IMHO, Convict stated his point well, thoroughly and in detail.  He's also right in asking why someone would willing enter into a bike purchase knowing the uncertainty of any availability (for deforming tanks) in the future.  Face it, our resale on these bikes will skid downhill unless an acceptable solution is reached.  Good for Convict for pointing out the obvious and not giving a free pass on this 'quirk'.

I'd love to hear what updates or issues may evolve on the Trump, and how the Company responds to them.

For those of us with the bikes, it's been stated before, and is irresponsible for Ducati to act as they are.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:27:59 PM by hillbillypolack » Logged
Frisco

« Reply #2022 on: December 06, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »

I know there are Triumphs that also suffer from the plastic tank problems - don't know if the Street Trip is one - if it's got a plastic tank that is hidden by panels it too may suffer.

2007 S4RS
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2023 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »

they got dookie for suspenders on 'em.  like they're filled with fish 'n' chips.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2024 on: December 06, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »

Dunno.  Convict has one post, doesn't own a Duc and goes on a rant.  +1 to ducpainter's response.

Yes, Triumph makes great bikes.  Oh, they also have plastic tank problems.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:43:10 PM by howie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: